10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

No way the DS will fail. There is no other set like it & it is still around because people want it. It is also too big & expensive for many people to accumulate. I believe that many investors have been lulled into a sense that it may never go eol.

You had 4 years and counting time to save money to buy 3-4 if you really wanted to invest...

Unless Next Star Wars movie feature one of these in them, I expect it to grow REALLY REALLY slow...

and by that I mean maybe 1.15 retail 1st year of EOL. especially since many got it on 300$ or 350$...

it will take a while to reach 600$ imo.

no, it won't be another Home One. Demand for a DS will still be high after EOL, especially immediately after as people panic, realising they might have missed out. But supply from re-sellers will be fairly large, so I'd expect that to keep the price suppressed a little.

My opinion is the same as many here. This set, despite being on the market for a long time, will appreciate in close to the same fashion as most of the UCS sets. Not only it has great display value, high price and piece count, but at the same time is a GREAT play set with a lot of minifigures. The fact that this set is so popular even with its high price point assures me it will succeed in the future. Plus, people who missed out for any reason will at some point want the set and the only place to find it will be from resellers. I would even say that as soon as the set starts going EOL (if ever...) panic will set on collectors, investors and consumers, causing a lot of the sets listed on ebay and such at that point to sell faster than some others.

I own quite a few and wonder if I made a good decision in buying them. :-)

This set is a reminder why buying a lot of one set is very risky. Remember, one of the keys to being successful at Lego investing is diversifying, buying only a couple copies of many different sets.

I am reasonably diversified, and don't feel I will lose on this set either (even if it doesn't go EOL, I should come close to breaking even). Yet, I do wonder if this will be one of my lowest performing investments on LEGO sets.

Well assuming Lego does discontinue it eventually, then I think you will make money at some point. It may take awhile and a bit of patience though.