10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

I bought one. Amazon has 32 left, and the set has to retire someday. Why not today!? I used a $50 Amazon gift card, so the total was $308.00.

But isn't Lego.com using its "Retiring Soon" alert on sets about to, uh, retire, these days? Doesn't give you a huge about of time necessarily, but at least it's a head's up.

I have gone back and forth on the DS by the way, and so far, I only have 2 I bought during the last 25% off discount.

I have a question and figured to ask here as opposed to a new thread... Why is the death star 2 never talked about and the death star is talked about all the time? Looks way cooler and less kiddie and worth more. It's almost like it doesn't exist. Story behind it? Am I missing something?

The 10143 is quite pricey to obtain these days and just gets overlooked somehow. I think its a great display set! This was one that would have been to get it on in when Lego investing was little known! If you can try to get a used one at a decent price. Looks can be receiving as it does not look like a fun build but I have heard otherwise.

I have a question and figured to ask here as opposed to a new thread... Why is the death star 2 never talked about and the death star is talked about all the time? Looks way cooler and less kiddie and worth more. It's almost like it doesn't exist. Story behind it? Am I missing something?

Minifigures, or the lack of them, is the difference IMO.

I'm guessing it's because we aren't constantly speculating about whether it will ever go away. If it weren't for the Death Star, half the threads here wouldn't exist!

I would 100% rather have the Death Star II than the Death Star that I have. Death Star II is much more rare.

Minifigures, or the lack of them, is the difference IMO.

That, and lack of play feature. It just sits there basically. The newer Death Star set just has so much more going for it, for someone who wants to enjoy the set. I did get a DS2 when it was on sale years ago, but have yet to build it.

Oh, Death Star is back in stock at $350 on Amazon again, by the way...

I definitely would NOT say that the new DS has way more going for it, the reason the DSII isn't talked about is because it is already gone, we mostly talk about sets that are still able to be purchased. The lack of displayability is what the DS has going against it, the DSII is display ready, whereas (despite many people on here who will likely jump to say otherwise) the DS is not the display piece its predecessor is. I think they made the right move, the original DS would look pretty boring if done as a model, the DSII with the construction is a lot more interesting looking. I don't see people talking much about the other discontinued UCS sets on here like the Star Destroyer, all we talk about is the SSD, not because the SSD is cooler or a better investment but because we can buy it and are always discussing current prices and speculating about its possibilities.

I'm not a super huge fan of UCS stuff so I guess I'm biased towards the newer DS. I like Lego models that "do things" not just static models. I do however think they should have built some kind of "shell" around all the rooms so you could close in up like a clamshell and it would look like the DS when you're not playing with it, --you know, for display. ;)

I'm not a super huge fan of UCS stuff so I guess I'm biased towards the newer DS. I like Lego models that "do things" not just static models.

I do however think they should have built some kind of "shell" around all the rooms so you could close in up like a clamshell and it would look like the DS when you're not playing with it, --you know, for display. ;)

You know, that's a pretty good idea for MOC'ing the 10188. You would basically just have to mirror how they shelled 10143 and figure out how on the equator of the DS how to attach your panels, couldn't be that hard. I might have to do some studying up on that and turn my DS into a DS II.

I do however think they should have built some kind of "shell" around all the rooms so you could close in up like a clamshell and it would look like the DS when you're not playing with it, --you know, for display. ;)

As Huskers, this would have been a great idea to do. For the price people pay for UCS you would think they could include a shell, or up the price a few extra dollars for people to have that option if they would like to enclose the DS.

The Haunted House is a BIG TIME WINNER!!! SSD is probably the longest set LEGO has ever made, or at least one of them!!! So that makes it unique and special set!!! Definitely another winner IMO!!! Both are GREAT INVESTMENTS!!! Whatever you do, don't buy Prince of Persia as an investment!!! Lol You will be called KING OF BROKESIA!!!! Haha