10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

You might be right, but on the other hand, Set 10188 is a cash cow for Lego. Might be one of their most popular sets ever. Tons of pieces and minifigs. I'm not so sure they will be stopping it. Lego doesn't think like a collector. They think about making money and if the set is still selling well, then why stop production?

Not only that, but Lego executives probably know all about the new Star Wars movie coming out in less than two years. If the set is selling well, it would probably be a crazy financial decision to discontinue it, since it will likely boom even more as soon as the movie comes out.

That said, if sales flag at all during the interim, they probably won't keep it around hoping for a recovery during the movie. They'll probably just discontinue it.

Was that an advertised price? Where was that from?

Where did you get it (if you care to tell)?

Since you asked so nicely, of course!

Yes, it was advertised, at Walmart last October. Didn't last long. I picked up a few though.

And since I'm assuming the haters are going to continue to hate, I've attached a screen grab of my receipt. It's all I can do. And I assure you, I have better things to do than go around on internet forums lying about the price point I bought a few lego death stars at.

At 289$ you were very well bought, and should do extremely well whenever this venerable set eventually does see retirement. I only hope investors get a sustained shot at sub 300$ prior to this set's departure. Another one that will be very interesting to see what the price does in the aftermath once it EOLs.

I bought it when it was at the $309 price point. I was lucky enough to have about $60 in Bing Rewards I could cash in at the time of purchase. I also made sure to use Amazon gift cards I buy at a local grocery chain (Kroger) for 4x fuel points in December. It worked out pretty well.

I check the price of these daily so when they are reduced I can pounce. However, I went to look just now and it does not look like they are for sale from Amazon.com right now (which seems weird).?.?.?.

i saw that too..i think these will be back...as per last night they had 999+ super star destroyers and around 157 death stars cant sell all of these in few hours..

i saw that too..i think these will be back...as per last night they had 999+ super star destroyers and around 157 death stars cant sell all of these in few hours..

I hope you are right! I just exchanged some airline miles for Amazon gift cards, so I can purchase the SSD! :)

On S&****, the Imperial Superstar Destroyer isn't listed any more.

Did it get discontinued or something?!?!?!

Death Star is still on the website though, but I guess this isn't much of a surprise as it has been out for 5+ years.

If you think that it is too confusing to people, you could delete those comments right there though...

No hard feelings :)

For some reason, Amazon still has a ridiculous price of $469.99 on the Death Star 10188!

Keep in mind that the set you see for $469 is from a private seller (STL PRO, Inc), NOT Amazon directly.

Not for sale from amazon you dont and not for the same price they were at yesterday. 10188 was $358 and 10221 was $379...

Sorry, I was responding to the post right above mine that said they could not see the 10221 on LEGO Shop at Home. I just didn't use the quote feature.

They will both be back at Amazon soon. There is no way they sold that many in that short of time.

Not for sale from amazon you dont and not for the same price they were at yesterday. 10188 was $358 and 10221 was $379...

Sorry, I was responding to the post right above mine that said they could not see the 10221 on LEGO Shop at Home. I just didn't use the quote feature.

They will both be back at Amazon soon. There is no way they sold that many in that short of time.

Gotcha! I'll have my gift cards ready!

I'm nervous, Tower Bridge (10214) is now not available as well (best price is $299, I'm glad I got one previously). However, my amazon gift cards arrived today. I am trying to hold out for the SSD, but I now am in love with the haunted house as well... Darnit! Sorry for the language! :)

I'm nervous, Tower Bridge (10214) is now not available as well (best price is $299, I'm glad I got one previously).

However, my amazon gift cards arrived today. I am trying to hold out for the SSD, but I now am in love with the haunted house as well... Darnit!

Sorry for the language! :)

buy ssd and haunted house ..both will be investment winners...