10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

I think they are super cool and would look bad ass on my coffee table or a shelf somewhere in my office. (You can do this sort of decorating when you are a bachelor.) I bet they are awesome conversation pieces. I might buy one and let it be the first set I put together in....well I can't remember the last set I put together, it's been well over 25 years. I just feel like you are going to be holding them FOREVER to get any decent return. I hope I m wrong. I want you all to get rich off your sets!!

I think they are super cool and would look bad ass on my coffee table or a shelf somewhere in my office. (You can do this sort of decorating when you are a bachelor.) I bet they are awesome conversation pieces.

I might buy one and let it be the first set I put together in....well I can't remember the last set I put together, it's been well over 25 years.

I just feel like you are going to be holding them FOREVER to get any decent return. I hope I m wrong. I want you all to get rich off your sets!!

Oh, well if you are using it for display, it might be ok, but the features are really small, so it may be a little more difficult to have it in a big space, which is why I like the SSD more, since it can be seen from a distance. Very eye-catching!

I would make sure I have one, but if I had to buy 5 of either SSD or Death Star, I think the SSD is a better move. Also the new-ish B-Wing looks awesome, so I would get one of those too. Actually maybe more than one of those B-Wings.....Excellent advice. Wonderful set that gets zero attention. The SSD is also a wonderful set that will do very well in retirement. It is a set that begs to be built. As for the Death Star, regardless of when it retires, any serious collector and investor has to have at least one. Fun set to build and display.

Why does everyone need a death star? It is $400, that is some serious dough for a playset, Star wars is the only theme with sets this expensive, the others don't even come close, if you aren't really wanting a $400 playset, don't get it, plane and simple. People need to remember this isn't like the glorious display models that grace a collection, it is a playset, it may be the mother of all playsets and to some, it may look good just doing that. but that is what it is. Most of the playsets cap around the $100 mark, so ask yourself if you really want that much money into something like this. There are plenty of other Legos out there, trust me and I would happily be caught dead without out. Ed, I can see an argument for people with a collection wanting to grab it if they want it, but of all the Large Star Wars sets, this one kinda sits out on its own. To the OP, if you would like one for your own collection and or to invest in it, then I would bit at the current prices, you may be able to stack some other offers or gift cards on top of it and get a better deal but it would stink to have to wait till EOL and not have one. I know for certain that those who got them for the second hand market are not going to be giving them away, they will want a return on it and I very much doubt you will beat the current price after EOL.

Why does everyone need a death star? It is $400, that is some serious dough for a playset, Star wars is the only theme with sets this expensive, the others don't even come close, if you aren't really wanting a $400 playset, don't get it, plane and simple. People need to remember this isn't like the glorious display models that grace a collection, it is a playset, it may be the mother of all playsets and to some, it may look good just doing that. but that is what it is. Most of the playsets cap around the $100 mark, so ask yourself if you really want that much money into something like this. There are plenty of other Legos out there, trust me and I would happily be caught dead without out.

Ed, I can see an argument for people with a collection wanting to grab it if they want it, but of all the Large Star Wars sets, this one kinda sits out on its own.

To the OP, if you would like one for your own collection and or to invest in it, then I would bit at the current prices, you may be able to stack some other offers or gift cards on top of it and get a better deal but it would stink to have to wait till EOL and not have one. I know for certain that those who got them for the second hand market are going to be giving them away, they will want a return on it and I very much doubt you will beat the current price after EOL.

I called it a LEGO "dollhouse" in my article about it. First off, I don't consider it a $400 set. I have several and have have paid $300 for each. If someone pays $400, then they just don't pay attention to deals we post on this set all the time. Let's base this set on a $325-$350 set. At that price point, with 3803 pieces and 20+ minifigures, one can argue that parting out the set is worth it by itself. I do not think it's the best looking set from a classic point of view, but from a playability standpoint, it's second to none. I would much rather display a SSD, but any serious LEGO collector, especially a STAR WARS fan, should consider having at least one.

This is a set that is meant to be built and the vast majority sold are. Never underestimate how this set might excel in the secondary market. Many people say they buy them, but many people can be full of it as well. Whether this set remains at retail for two more months or two more years, it will have a good chance to appreciate well when it is retired. There are just too many procrastinators and people that didn't have the means to buy the set new that will buy it when the set gets retired. Just my 3 cents...

Why does everyone need a death star? It is $400, that is some serious dough for a playset, Star wars is the only theme with sets this expensive, the others don't even come close, if you aren't really wanting a $400 playset, don't get it, plane and simple. People need to remember this isn't like the glorious display models that grace a collection, it is a playset, it may be the mother of all playsets and to some, it may look good just doing that. but that is what it is. Most of the playsets cap around the $100 mark, so ask yourself if you really want that much money into something like this. There are plenty of other Legos out there, trust me and I would happily be caught dead without out.

Ed, I can see an argument for people with a collection wanting to grab it if they want it, but of all the Large Star Wars sets, this one kinda sits out on its own.

To the OP, if you would like one for your own collection and or to invest in it, then I would bit at the current prices, you may be able to stack some other offers or gift cards on top of it and get a better deal but it would stink to have to wait till EOL and not have one. I know for certain that those who got them for the second hand market are going to be giving them away, they will want a return on it and I very much doubt you will beat the current price after EOL.

Well, you know, the UCS Millennium Falcon was $499, and now it is worth over 4x that price, so expensive sets might be worth it.

I got 23 Death Star's, I paid between $280-350 for all of them, Once you see the Retiring Soon on the Lego Website, whenever it happens, people will Panic worldwide, it will be like a Gold Rush for the set. Even if there were a million of these made, how many people are Worldwide, and your son is 3 years old now, but when he is say 10 he will say Daddy i want one of those Death Star's for Christmas, There will always be people wanting this set, and you will never ever see the set again. I been selling the Larger sets of Lego for 10 years on E-bay and every set I have sold has made money, except for 2, the 7659 Landing Craft, and the 7754 set, I only had 10 of each, so I broke even on the 7659 set and I still have the 7754 set, I only paid $35 each for them. If any sales come up for the Death star for $325 or less I will get more.

I got 23 Death Star's, I paid between $280-350 for all of them, Once you see the Retiring Soon on the Lego Website, whenever it happens, people will Panic worldwide, it will be like a Gold Rush for the set. Even if there were a million of these made, how many people are Worldwide, and your son is 3 years old now, but when he is say 10 he will say Daddy i want one of those Death Star's for Christmas, There will always be people wanting this set, and you will never ever see the set again. I been selling the Larger sets of Lego for 10 years on E-bay and every set I have sold has made money, except for 2, the 7659 Landing Craft, and the 7754 set, I only had 10 of each, so I broke even on the 7659 set and I still have the 7754 set, I only paid $35 each for them. If any sales come up for the Death star for $325 or less I will get more.

Wow! Those are alot of DS.

Unfortunately, I don't have the financial resources to buy that many.

I agree that large scale models generally seem to make money faster.

We will see how long they keep producing it, if they are still on the shelves two years from now, I am sure they will still sell for a chunk down the road, I just don't know if its a good place for your money to have been tied up all that time. There definitely are sets out there that we all thought would be winners but have flopped instead, it all has to do with long you want to store them and how hard it winds up being to sell them.

We will see how long they keep producing it, if they are still on the shelves two years from now, I am sure they will still sell for a chunk down the road, I just don't know if its a good place for your money to have been tied up all that time. There definitely are sets out there that we all thought would be winners but have flopped instead, it all has to do with long you want to store them and how hard it winds up being to sell them.

Like those PoP sets...

Blech.

I haven't bought a Death Star yet, but I want to. Amazon has about 50 left for $358.00, no tax, free shipping. Does anyone know of a cheaper price anywhere else?

Amazon has had this price for quite a long time. I would expect it to go even lower, since it doesn't seem to be going any time soon.

Be patient and look for a price around $330. Just because there are 50 left in stock does not mean that they are going to sell out/DS going EOL which would be a miracle.

If you want it, $358 is a great price, I'd get one now as it could very easily sit at $400 for another 6 months or longer after this sale ends. Who knows when it will EOL but I wouldn't want to be trying to scrounge up one after its gone, the investors are going to be holding on to them very tight and most likely will have little problem waiting things out to keep the prices high.

I just bought one. I didn't want to, but the price is to good to pass up. If it hits 310 by chance, I will get another. If it retires and I don't have one for my collection, I will be pretty upset. Maybe if they do a Ewok Village does exist, it will mean that Lego will produce a large live set for star wars every 2-4 years?

Money being tied up is always an issue with any investment. The 10188 is a rare situation in the LEGO world though. Most sets are not around this long at retail. It is possible that if you wait too long to buy one, the set could go EOL on you. Doesn't really hurt to have one as a hedge.

Money being tied up is always an issue with any investment. The 10188 is a rare situation in the LEGO world though. Most sets are not around this long at retail. It is possible that if you wait too long to buy one, the set could go EOL on you. Doesn't really hurt to have one as a hedge.

My thoughts exactly. I bought one to make sure that if it did go EOL I was prepared. I am not going to buy a vast amount of it, but still enough to make sure. It isn't going to sell for less than 360 after retirement, that I can confidently say.