10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

• 4 months later...

I'm finally building a used copy that I got a couple years back. My wife keeps asking if I could hang it from the ceiling. I tried explaining that it is less a representation of the Death Star than it is a collection of scenes from the Death Star, but she didn't get it. Finally I told her it's a doll house. She still didn't understand what it would look like, so I showed her what I have so far. She asked if it had coverings, when I said no she agreed it's just a doll house and shouldn't be dangled from the ceiling. I didn't think it would be structurally sound enough to hang it anyway.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I'm finally building a used copy that I got a couple years back. My wife keeps asking if I could hang it from the ceiling. I tried explaining that it is less a representation of the Death Star than it is a collection of scenes from the Death Star, but she didn't get it. Finally I told her it's a doll house. She still didn't understand what it would look like, so I showed her what I have so far. She asked if it had coverings, when I said no she agreed it's just a doll house and shouldn't be dangled from the ceiling. I didn't think it would be structurally sound enough to hang it anyway.

It can be hung, you just need to run a wire or strong fishing line down the center and through the base. Attach the line to a custom round piece of wood/acrylic/metal washer the size of the base and you're good to go. Since the set and all its weight sits on the small round base anyway, it will hold. Saw someone online do that but yeah, it's a doll house and doesn't make sense being hung from the ceiling.

• 2 weeks later...

So, when building this set, did you open one bag at a time for each numbered bag, or was it more proper to dump all of the same numbered bags together into one pile to build it? I only ask because my bag counts for 3-7 match an unboxing video that I watched, but there's a single bag 2 with a couple of smaller unnumbered bags that probably came from a larger bag.

If you were to sell one like this, partially opened, would you sell it complete with minifigures or sell the figures separately and try to get about $175 for the Death Star?

• 2 months later...