10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

13 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I don´t agree. RRP of the new one is 499 and it will not be available outside SAH until at least January. Some people still don´t know it is out and Xmas is coming.

To me that means there is still a window to sell it for 450-500 euros between now and then. I sold 2 for well above 500 in the past 3 months - maye I got lucky but the demand is there. 

You must be very lucky man, because only idiot will pay EUR 500 for the old version, after the new version is already announced. In my view, the acceptable price for 10188 is maximum EUR 360. Because even in this part of Europe you are able to buy exclusive sets for 15-20 % discounts, so its a question of time when new DS will be available for example in Toysrus for EUR 400. In my country there is no chance to sell more than 5 pieces of such expensive set for children as present before Xmas, and AFOLs knows the reality. So only impatient children with rich parents or very crazy AFOL will buy the old version for more than EUR 400.

• Like 1

I have no clue about the secondary lego market in Korea. Maybe there is still demand for DS and it is not as hoarded as in Europe.

If you want to know. I did not buy and do not plan to buy any set from the money I got for 10188. I keep it apart for a rainy day. Investing in Lego has taught me one thing. If you need the money due to unforseen circumstances. It is very difficult to liquidate when you want. There are too many factors that one is depending on.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Gang - this is WAAAAY off topic.  Let's bring it back to our beloved 10188.

You don't see how much "pain" death star has brought upon the investors? 10188 is no longer 10188. Money is no longer money because investors feel 10188=Money.

1 hour ago, BrickLegacy said:

Gang - this is WAAAAY off topic.  Let's bring it back to our beloved 10188.

Just now, Alpinemaps said:

And I guess I'll be mod #2 to say the same thing.  No politics, please.  Discuss 10188 in this thread, or don't discuss anything.

At least you guys are being fair (cleaning up both sides) - I was starting to think that this thread was "rigged".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shawry1985 said:

How much should I be looking to buy one of these, for my own collection just getting into Lego and think this set looks good

Judging by the desperation of some to sell their stash, your message inbox should soon be getting plenty of traffic!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Furious_george said:

Was thinking the same myself. Never been a big fan of the set but what the hell. Anyone who cares to message tho remember I live waaaaay down under. :)

Change your flag to Germany, insist on a free shipping price and you´re sorted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

And I guess I'll be mod #2 to say the same thing.  No politics, please.  Discuss 10188 in this thread, or don't discuss anything.

I hate to say it, but I think the no politics rule makes sense for this site.  Even though I break it sometimes.  Tomorrow I should probably just stay away from the internet.

47 minutes ago, Val-E said:

60x52x18 IIRC. You want to get an original lego box if possible to keep it in good nick.

Yeah I know it's size, but all the boxes I'm finding are either two small or at least 1 dimension is way too big ? I've found some places that make custom size boxes, but they're like 7 quid a box ? plus delivery. If I buy 17 I can get it down to four quid a box, but I don't think I have room to store 17 large, empty shipping boxes

24 minutes ago, Seeyounexttuesday said:

Yeah I know it's size, but all the boxes I'm finding are either two small or at least 1 dimension is way too big 1f612.png I've found some places that make custom size boxes, but they're like 7 quid a box 1f62c.png plus delivery. If I buy 17 I can get it down to four quid a box, but I don't think I have room to store 17 large, empty shipping boxes

If you have a box thats too big, cut the box down to fit.

This is what i do to get a snug fit, you end up with longer overlaps that make the box stronger, i sold one in its original lego box & then double boxed it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Highlander said:

If you have a box thats too big, cut the box down to fit.

This is what i do to get a snug fit, you end up with longer overlaps that make the box stronger, i sold one in its original lego box & then double boxed it.

Good idea, I never thought of that. If I can't find a suitable box in five days or so I'll give this a go