10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

17 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

Build it! It will be forever etched in her childhood memories.

Time to cut the seals haha.

Teacher: "What did you do this weekend?"

My daughter: "Build a Lego Star Wars Death Star with my dad.....tataaaa tatatataaata tatatata" (yes I hummed while writing this)

Teacher: "......wtf?"

• Like 2

On 8-9-2016 at 2:12 AM, newbie77 said:

If one don't have tolerance and need to bail then it's better to cut losses and move. Otherwise hold.

eventually, when dust settles 10188 is not evaporating. It's appreciation won't be what we all expected but I personally believe that it would be worth $599 in us. I may be in the minority who believes in this valuation.

Slightly cheaper than this one :D http://www.ebay.nl/itm/252497009668?clk_rvr_id=1091102612415&item=252497009668&lgeo=1&vectorid=229557

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I can't wait until this thread is locked and forgotten. I really can't understand the appeal in this dreadful "Dolls House" and the huge £125(ish) mark-up that Disney have placed on the new one. I bet y'all wish you'd bought Exo-Suits instead.

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I can't wait until this thread is locked and forgotten. I really can't understand the appeal in this dreadful "Dolls House" and the huge £125(ish) mark-up that Disney have placed on the new one. I bet y'all wish you'd bought Exo-Suits instead.

I've sold 3 locally on Craigslist for $420. My average buy in was $340 and my hold was a year. That's 23.5% profit and I only needed to make three transactions for $240 profit. The Death Star will always sell unlike exo-suit, which has zero demand. I'll sell my last two for $450 during the holidays. I'm quite sure they'll sell since they're cheaper that the new one. If these hit $350, I'm a buyer.

Edited by pete411
  • Like 3

Just out interest, for those that have this model on display, is anyone considering bricklinking the extra few hundred pieces to bring it up to speed with 75159? Cheese slopes and obvious jokes aside, the turbo laser, occasional guide rail and redesigned Tie may be worth an upgrade as long as they don't use any new or rare parts? Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

Just out interest, for those that have this model on display, is anyone considering bricklinking the extra few hundred pieces to bring it up to speed with 75159? Cheese slopes and obvious jokes aside, the turbo laser, occasional guide rail and redesigned Tie may be worth an upgrade as long as they don't use any new or rare parts? Thoughts?

I'm just waiting for 50% off.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Manse1001 said:

Well yeah there is that of course!! But for those of us that already own 10188 and have it on display and are therefore unlikely to buy into 75159 (even at half price) I was just wondering if anyone was considering an 'upgrade kit'.

I am sure that when the parts list comes out, some enterprising Ebayers will start selling upgrade packs - at 100 USD for 213 parts, there´s enough meat on the bone.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:23 PM, Manse1001 said:

As an owner and displayer of this set, I can say quite confidently that no, I will not bother 'upgrading' it to the newer version.  I just don't care that much for mostly cosmetic changes.  Even at 50% off, I still wouldn't touch it.  If you gave me the batcave or the Ass of Hoth for 50% off, I would consider biting on those because at least with that I don't own a variation of them.

23 hours ago, citymorgue said:

As an owner and displayer of this set, I can say quite confidently that no, I will not bother 'upgrading' it to the newer version.  I just don't care that much for mostly cosmetic changes.  Even at 50% off, I still wouldn't touch it.  If you gave me the batcave or the Ass of Hoth for 50% off, I would consider biting on those because at least with that I don't own a variation of them.

Is the Ass of Hoth the part of the planet we didn't see in the movie? You know: the place where the sun don't shine...

:D

• Like 1