10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

9 hours ago, Legojona said:

Some of you will think I'm crazy, but I just bought myself a Death Star 10188 for 429 euro on Bricklink. I think there are 4 reasons to buy sets that are being dumped right now:

1. A retired set is available for the local RRP

2. The new version is actually more expensive than the old ones are at the moment

3. This set has some minifigs that are only in this set or the exclusive MF

4. Even if the price drops, I've got myself a decent set for a low price

What do you guys think? Price will go lower or actually rise above market price of the new one pretty soon?

I also like the logic, but agree with the other poster that the bottom is yet to come. I only have two and will hold both, escalating PPP alone pretty much guarantees a break even return or better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nolanfan34 said:

I also like the logic, but agree with the other poster that the bottom is yet to come. I only have two and will hold both, escalating PPP alone pretty much guarantees a break even return or better. 

It really relies on the area you're in probably. This set is hard to ship, so easier to sell to a local buyer. 

I'm not sure about the bottom. I would say that the competing new version actually raises the values as buy in is much higher and we don's have the weird low GBP price (in Europe) anymore that creates an influx of cheap sets into the European market. With the dollar, euro and pound being relatively close to one another (dollar as 0.88, euro as 1, gbp as 1.20), I think we will have a set where the prices will not be to different from each other. 

When this came out in 2008, the dollar was at a historic low and the pound was at a very high point.

Edited by Legojona
added a part

24 minutes ago, Legojona said:
It really relies on the area you're in probably. This set is hard to ship, so easier to sell to a local buyer. 

I'm not sure about the bottom. I would say that the competing new version actually raises the values as buy in is much higher and we don's have the weird low GBP price (in Europe) anymore that creates an influx of cheap sets into the European market. With the dollar, euro and pound being relatively close to one another (dollar as 0.88, euro as 1, gbp as 1.20), I think we will have a set where the prices will not be to different from each other. 

When this came out in 2008, the dollar was at a historic low and the pound was at a very high point.

I think The floor and ceiling are going to be between $385 and $450 shipped. The closer the price gets to $500, the more 75159 will be considered if it's in-stock at retailers.

Honestly, the time to sell was last week at $435-$455 or 2 weeks ago at $500+. Holding onto the set is just going to get you the $400-$450 shipped but demand is going to be lower plus why keep the huge box around ?

I would just sell 10188 now unless you think 75159 will be sold-out at xmas which might temp raise the price to $455-$500. Not much more cash for more risk.

i found new 10188s easy to ship but can costly.  75159s will be the same as box six should be the same. Granted I was using the Lego factory shipping box (24x21x8) and offered to ship it inside a bigger box got extra cash.  Cost was about $39 with insurance from US Coast to Coast with my ups biz discount. Cheapest was about $24. Most expense was $96 insured to Alaska which the buyer paid. All shipping was done using UPS Ground. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Legojona said:

I would say that the competing new version actually raises the values as buy in is much higher and we don's have the weird low GBP price (in Europe) anymore that creates an influx of cheap sets into the European market.

I don't know, isn't the GBP/EUR still super low? It fell off a cliff in June and hasn't gone up much since then, on the contrary.

Untitled.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c_rpg said:

I don't know, isn't the GBP/EUR still super low? It fell off a cliff in June and hasn't gone up much since then, on the contrary.

Untitled.png

Yes, and it used to be the opposite in 2008. The GBP was very expensive then, so the price of 10188 was lower in the UK. Especially the USD to GDP rate was crazy back then:

gbp.png

I was convinced about 10225, and I was very lucky. But this time, I changed my mind. I sold the 2 I've got, and I'm glad they are gone. In comparison to 10221 this set is just a pain in the... ;) And now I have 1000 dollars which I can put into Tie Fighter for example. Easier to ship, easier to store, and mostly easier to sell.

Most people don't know about the revival of the death star here, so I bet the prices from EUR 449 will fall down to 400 or even below, when the new set is announced.

If I had a time machine, I would have purchased even more AT-AT instead of the 2 Death Stars.... ^^

I think The floor and ceiling are going to be between $385 and $450 shipped. The closer the price gets to $500, the more 75159 will be considered if it's in-stock at retailers.

Honestly, the time to sell was last week at $435-$455 or 2 weeks ago at $500+. Holding onto the set is just going to get you the $400-$450 shipped but demand is going to be lower plus why keep the huge box around ?

I would just sell 10188 now unless you think 75159 will be sold-out at xmas which might temp raise the price to $455-$500. Not much more cash for more risk.

i found new 10188s easy to ship but can costly.  75159s will be the same as box six should be the same. Granted I was using the Lego factory shipping box (24x21x8) and offered to ship it inside a bigger box got extra cash.  Cost was about $39 with insurance from US Coast to Coast with my ups biz discount. Cheapest was about $24. Most expense was $96 insured to Alaska which the buyer paid. All shipping was done using UPS Ground. 

I refuse to sell at a loss on principle. I'm willing to wait on this until I have grandkids, I don't care.
  • Like 1

it's your money.  i understand principles and admire people who stick to them.  however, sometimes one must go against even their own.. 

personally, i rather sell for a small loss (if purely investment-wise and won't be built) than have the thing take up space in my house not appreciating.  I spent $125 and $145 for my 2 NISB Toy Shops.  Never sold them after the latest Toy Shop was announced.  Wish i would have sold them off (might have lost 20%) and that $200 would have been spent on a Tumbler or something similar (opportunity cost ).  instead, they are collecting dust in the basement.

1 hour ago, labfreak7 said:

I refuse to sell at a loss on principle. I'm willing to wait on this until I have grandkids, I don't care.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, labfreak7 said:

Dude, sometimes ya gotta cut bait.

i hear what you are saying though.  I gave my 1 DS to my 14 year old son once prices started to tank. He thinks I am pretty much the best Mom ever.  Mom-cred is worth more to me.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, labfreak7 said:

I can understand this, but I hope you don't have the same principles for any stocks you might own. Very dangerous.

• Like 1

One thing i am finding confusing at the moment is the price ticker on the front page.  Twice since 75159 pics came out I've seen 10188 Deathstar showing a 4-5% rise despite everyone reporting prices dropping. 

How the hell does that work?

Edited by Fenix_2k1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

One thing i am finding confusing at the moment is the price ticker on the front page.  Twice since 75159 pics came out I've seen 10188 Deathstar showing a 4-5% rise despite everyone reporting prices dropping. 

How the hell does that work?

That updates quarterly. Check the 10188 page out next update, we will see a big drop. Currently it's tracked thru July http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=10188-1

1 hour ago, justapilgrim said:

and another reason my BL continues to focus on minifigures. sell the set with no minifigures, sell of minifigures one at a time, profit

Off topic.

Always have wondered about this practice, seeing them on eBay and BL. Not trying to be snarky, sincerely: does the sale of the no-minifig sets keep up with the sale of minifigs? Or are you slowly growing a pile of ships even as they sell?

Do you get feedback from people that say phew I love Ren's shuttle but thank god I don't have to pay extra for the crappy Ren with his Spaceballs helmet?

USC sets are about the only set I'd happily buy sans figures, but even Lego seems reluctant to put out SW UCS without.