10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

6 minutes ago, jstodda said:

They're all over for $400.... You might have done better waiting a month... Desperation sets in hahaha

I don't think it will go that low in Europe. In the Netherlands this is pretty close to RRP, so I think it is low enough. In a few years I think the 10188 will be more  valuable than the 75159.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Legojona said:

I just received my 10188 Death Star by mail that I got for 440 (including postage) and have to say I'm very happy that the 75159 fiasco lowered the price so much I was still able to get one. This way I can get the original DS play set for a lower price than the new one. I prefer this one as the older features like the minifigs are mostly a matter of taste. 

Who wants to make money on their retired LEGO sets......AMIRITE?

• Like 1

I don't think it will go that low in Europe. In the Netherlands this is pretty close to RRP, so I think it is low enough. In a few years I think the 10188 will be more  valuable than the 75159.

I agree, I've sold my current stock to take advantage whilst the price is still relatively high. But I'm constantly watching the price trend and waiting for it to hit rock bottom, when it does I'll try and buy one or two back and sit them in storage again for as long as it takes to see the price rise again. There is so much hate for 75159 I believe collectors will want the first edition as opposed to the rehash. I may be wrong, if I am I can live with that as I will always want 10188 in my personal collection.

3 minutes ago, LegoWalker4 said:

Just looked at local Craiglist listings and there are two listed at $400 and one at $450.  Another one listed for $500.  These are all NIB.  One is listed without the box for $300 complete with the instructions.

I have one for $400 and two for $430 (and a couple of $500+) in my local CL.

16 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

I have one for $400 and two for $430 (and a couple of $500+) in my local CL.

Man my CL sucks, it's like 4 LEGO video games, 3 trashed bulk lots, a LEGO building table and the same guy listing a space police display case every week for the past year. Rinse and repeat every week.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

I agree, I've sold my current stock to take advantage whilst the price is still relatively high. But I'm constantly watching the price trend and waiting for it to hit rock bottom, when it does I'll try and buy one or two back and sit them in storage again for as long as it takes to see the price rise again. There is so much hate for 75159 I believe collectors will want the first edition as opposed to the rehash. I may be wrong, if I am I can live with that as I will always want 10188 in my personal collection.

I am sorry, but does this make any sense? 75159 will be here for I do not know, another 5+ years, how much you can make on one 10188? 50 pounds max I suppose. I would rather focus my funds somewhere to make 50%+ of entry costs. I do not know, I am quite new in lego investing, however I really do not see much investment potential in exclusive sets anymore. Only current viable strategy IMO is to buy mid-lrage sets with collecting potential at huge discounts to resell approx 1 year after EOL (ISD, AT-AT, IST, Hobbit sets, Pirates ships etc).

1 hour ago, Furious_george said:

Most of the hate comes from investors. Collectors won't care and will want the newest one. Same thing happened with my original Sandcrawler, x wing and now it's happening to my Snowspeeder. That's what I've observed over the years anyway.

Which normal collectors will buy it in first years? This is not a new version or upgrade, this is the same version with just new figs. There were 8 years to buy the death star, so just few collectors missed the boat. And collectors, which already own the old version, will not pay 500 eur just for new figs (many of which will be available in cheaper sets + are not unique). As a collector, I would be extremly angry with this TLG step - that I threw out 400 bucks for something, which looks old in few months because of the new version... So just few collectors will buy the new version + rich parents for their children (again, many of them already own the 10188).

I think the first months this set will have horrible sale numbers... many people, who dont have old version and will want this version, will wait for discounts (at least in TRU -20 %).

Edited by fantomas007

I am sorry, but does this make any sense? 75159 will be here for I do not know, another 5+ years, how much you can make on one 10188? 50 pounds max I suppose. I would rather focus my funds somewhere to make 50%+ of entry costs. I do not know, I am quite new in lego investing, however I really do not see much investment potential in exclusive sets anymore. Only current viable strategy IMO is to buy mid-lrage sets with collecting potential at huge discounts to resell approx 1 year after EOL (ISD, AT-AT, IST, Hobbit sets, Pirates ships etc).

I'm just looking at my last two sales, both for £400, both of which new about the remake, both of which said they wanted the original set. Take it how you want. I sold one to a guy a few months back, he wanted one mint in the shipping box (which I had) he said he was trying to collect2 of every SW set Lego have ever made. One to build, one kept mint in the box. Collectors can start collecting at anytime, just because people had 8 years to buy 10188 doesn't mean they did, maybe they got into Lego in Jan after it retired. All I'm saying is that some SW collectors aren't always your average ilk.

4 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

I turned down an offer of €400 cash the other day. I asked €425 but they wouldn't budge.

If one don't have tolerance and need to bail then it's better to cut losses and move. Otherwise hold.

eventually, when dust settles 10188 is not evaporating. It's appreciation won't be what we all expected but I personally believe that it would be worth $599 in us. I may be in the minority who believes in this valuation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Manse1001 said:

I'm just looking at my last two sales, both for £400, both of which new about the remake, both of which said they wanted the original set. Take it how you want. I sold one to a guy a few months back, he wanted one mint in the shipping box (which I had) he said he was trying to collect2 of every SW set Lego have ever made. One to build, one kept mint in the box. Collectors can start collecting at anytime, just because people had 8 years to buy 10188 doesn't mean they did, maybe they got into Lego in Jan after it retired. All I'm saying is that some SW collectors aren't always your average ilk.

Thats exactly what I am saying. My question was, if there is really investing potential on 10188, whn you can make maybe 50pounds profit on one box? I do not know, what was your purchase price, but you sold at 400. Anyone who is buying for 400 now is crazy in my mind, as he really can not expect to sell it for 800pounds or even 600, which means, he is saving huge amount of money on heavily hoarded stock, which is really not going to appreciate much.

13 hours ago, Furious_george said:

Most of the hate comes from investors. Collectors won't care and will want the newest one. Same thing happened with my original Sandcrawler, x wing and now it's happening to my Snowspeeder. That's what I've observed over the years anyway.

I'm a collector, I have one, its built so not an investor, it would have been nice to think that it would go up in value over time but that wasn't my reason for buying.

The difference between this rerelease and the other two that are already out that you mentioned (sandcrawler and x-wing) is the fact that they were hugely superior models. Massive changes in builds and better models overall. 75159 isn't and it's supposed to be a flagship set.

It is the kind of set that could possibly rebound but theres so many getting dumped on the market and with the new one coming out it will be a looong time before it does hit that rise.

Thats exactly what I am saying. My question was, if there is really investing potential on 10188, whn you can make maybe 50pounds profit on one box? I do not know, what was your purchase price, but you sold at 400. Anyone who is buying for 400 now is crazy in my mind, as he really can not expect to sell it for 800pounds or even 600, which means, he is saving huge amount of money on heavily hoarded stock, which is really not going to appreciate much.

Why are they crazy? Not everyone wants Lego to invest!!!?! People do actually want to build these sets not just make money from them!?!? He wants it for his collection he has to spend £400 as that is/was the going rate. The truth is if everyone didn't panic sale and held tight at £400 then the price would have leveled out as there is still demand for the set it would seem.

16 hours ago, Legojona said:

Wait and see. German and UK RRP leave margin for further falls in price.

5 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

Lowest MISB price in EU on bricklink is now €400 plus shipping. (336 GBP)

I have 1 10188 on the shelf. Buy-in 320E. With the prices going down every day, it stays there on the shelf. Would also be a good option to keep it for my own collection and build it with my 5 year old daughter. She already hums the Stars Wars tune....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brenner said:

I have 1 10188 on the shelf. Buy-in 320E. With the prices going down every day, it stays there on the shelf. Would also be a good option to keep it for my own collection and build it with my 5 year old daughter. She already hums the Stars Wars tune....

Build it! It will be forever etched in her childhood memories.

• Like 3

Wasn't 10188 dead as the sensible place to keep that much money tied up the second the new box image was released?

As soon as that kind of thing happens, in my experience, you need to be bold and get rid of the sets, accept your price, and move the money to something new, ideally a good discount buy in on something you expect to retire in the next year, or will be scarce next xmas.

No point (in my business) hanging around hoping for 10188 to do something amazing

Others have their own ways of working of course

• Like 1