10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

16 minutes ago, Cozei said:

Off topic.

Always have wondered about this practice, seeing them on eBay and BL. Not trying to be snarky, sincerely: does the sale of the no-minifig sets keep up with the sale of minifigs? Or are you slowly growing a pile of ships even as they sell?

Do you get feedback from people that say phew I love Ren's shuttle but thank god I don't have to pay extra for the crappy Ren with his Spaceballs helmet?

USC sets are about the only set I'd happily buy sans figures, but even Lego seems reluctant to put out SW UCS without.

Many LEGO fans actually like building, and really don't care about the minifigs. Others only collect the minifigs, and don't care about the build.

So yes, people do appreciate having the option.

Of course, there are also always some who can't, won't, or don't read the listing. So you do need to be reasonable when these occasional buyers express rage (as they think they've been had - until you explain to them that you mentioned the fact a dozen times in the listing).

Edited by KShine
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cozei said:

Off topic.

Always have wondered about this practice, seeing them on eBay and BL. Not trying to be snarky, sincerely: does the sale of the no-minifig sets keep up with the sale of minifigs? Or are you slowly growing a pile of ships even as they sell?

Do you get feedback from people that say phew I love Ren's shuttle but thank god I don't have to pay extra for the crappy Ren with his Spaceballs helmet?

USC sets are about the only set I'd happily buy sans figures, but even Lego seems reluctant to put out SW UCS without.

I'm not justapilgrim, but I have both sold sets without minifigs (Poe's X-wing sold within days for $60) as well as bought sets without minifigs (e.g. 75105). How many BB-8s do you need? My son now has all the key figures, no doubles, and I've saved a bundle (got my 75105 for $89 shipped - never saw this one on clearance at WM or Target ever near me)

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Cozei said:

Off topic.

There are a lot of fans that just build and/or create MOCs. Bricks for cheap is their "modus operandi", so they'll buy sets without figures. This is a large part of the reason why I think resellers can't ignore Lepin. Not everyone buys LEGO because of its (presumed) future monetary value. A lot of people buy LEGO for its current utilitarian value.

51 minutes ago, Legojona said:

Why not buy on bricklink? You can get it for much lower there.

Kindly point us all in the direction of the "much lower than $418" Death Stars on Bricklink. The least expensive new set is currently $415 and he states in his terms on the front page that DS shipping is $25. $440>$418

31 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

Kindly point us all in the direction of the "much lower than $418" Death Stars on Bricklink. The least expensive new set is currently $415 and he states in his terms on the front page that DS shipping is $25. $440>$418

I was referring to the 445 on ebay prices while bricklink.com is usually cheaper. I can imagine that the shipping is an issue in the USA.

@Deadfraggle, this is just a "lost in translation" situation, I'm sure Legojona meant well. Here in Europe Bricklink is usually much less expensive than Ebay and we do not have ebay bucks and other fancy things you have in US to bring Ebay prices down. Shipping is also somewhat cheaper (although that quite depends on the country you ship it to...)

• Like 2

@Vinetu and @Legojona I took it is as him trying to be helpful for sure. I was just confused for a minute. He said it with such confidence that I thought maybe I missed someone selling them dirt cheap on Bricklink. Here in the states eBay seems to work better for me for buying complete sets at the best prices. Others may have different experiences. I've noticed the European BL prices are generally a lot more competitive than our sellers.

6 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

@Vinetu and @Legojona I took it is as him trying to be helpful for sure. I was just confused for a minute. He said it with such confidence that I thought maybe I missed someone selling them dirt cheap on Bricklink. Here in the states eBay seems to work better for me for buying complete sets at the best prices. Others may have different experiences. I've noticed the European BL prices are generally a lot more competitive than our sellers.

They are more competitive for whole sets, not for parts unfortunately...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

I was genuinely wondering. No harm intended :-)

This week a DS was sold for 350euro or about 390 dollar on Bricklink so in my experience it is best too buy there in Europe. In the USA you guys are lucky with the much cheaper sets, high discounts, coupons and cheap storage.

Ordering something from the USA for us gives a very high import charge soo markets are basically independent from each other.

8 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Yeah! Only 2 left now. I´ll try to sell one more before release and keep the last one for posterity/curiosity.

lol what lunatic gave you 550? Do they not have an internet connection or something?

18 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

I didn't do quite as well that, but sold for £400 last week, local pick up, no fees or carriage. Buy in was £250 so £150 net profit.

I'd take that all day long. I'd be happy to sell for €450 cash and a €100 profit.

5 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

lol what lunatic gave you 550? Do they not have an internet connection or something?

I'd take that all day long. I'd be happy to sell for €450 cash and a €100 profit.

Listen, not everyone is 24/7 on lego news and whilst the set isn´t on the web or in shops, there is still time. Resellers racing to the bottom are the biggest threat to the price of this set till 1st October.

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Listen, not everyone is 24/7 on lego news and whilst the set isn´t on the web or in shops, there is still time. Resellers racing to the bottom are the biggest threat to the price of this set till 1st October.

Exactly... but time is running out. The race to the bottom is at the last lap.

I just received my 10188 Death Star by mail that I got for 440 (including postage) and have to say I'm very happy that the 75159 fiasco lowered the price so much I was still able to get one. This way I can get the original DS play set for a lower price than the new one. I prefer this one as the older features like the minifigs are mostly a matter of taste.