10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

21 hours ago, kris_1973 said:

I wonder about that one. That seller also has a new green grocer for $799. Next cheapest on amz is $1400 and it regularly goes for $1200 on ebay. 

If it's legit it's a great quick flip (the gg). Seems too good to be true.

Edited by marcandre

2 recent sets just sold on eBay today, £400 which included p&p is frightening, if purchased at RRP there is literally no profit in that. The other sold for £480 all in but was 'signed' by David Prowse! So basically I need to get Harrison Ford to sign my stash and I'm laughing!!!

12 hours ago, Manse1001 said:

2 recent sets just sold on eBay today, £400 which included p&p is frightening, if purchased at RRP there is literally no profit in that. The other sold for £480 all in but was 'signed' by David Prowse! So basically I need to get Harrison Ford to sign my stash and I'm laughing!!!

Not really.  £400 sale, rough £40 eBay, £15 Paypal, £20 shipping.  £275 Buy in, leaves £50 pre-tax. Without any eBay fee discount or any kind of RRP discount, cashback or freebie.  If the worse this is going to get is £50 profit on a £275 item.    

Not really.  £400 sale, rough £40 eBay, £15 Paypal, £20 shipping.  £275 Buy in, leaves £50 pre-tax. Without any eBay fee discount or any kind of RRP discount, cashback or freebie.  If the worse this is going to get is £50 profit on a £275 item.    

Yeah agreed, I just think it's just more of a kick in the regards to what the profit could have been if things were different, even heavily horded people had high hopes for this set in the future. Not going to open up that can of worms again but I guess you can see my point?!

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, feed said:

... which will be wiped out in a heartbeat if the item is returned for the slightest speck of dust on the box! I'm so glad that I didn't by a 10188 as I personally can't stand the thing.

BTW... A lucky ex-colleague of mine in Dallas has a mint 10179 with the boxed signed by both Harrison Ford & Peter Mayhew and he's recenty refused a $15,000 offer for it!

32 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

... which will be wiped out in a heartbeat if the item is returned for the slightest speck of dust on the box! I'm so glad that I didn't by a 10188 as I personally can't stand the thing.

BTW... A lucky ex-colleague of mine in Dallas has a mint 10179 with the boxed signed by both Harrison Ford & Peter Mayhew and he's recenty refused a $15,000 offer for it!

Would of been a good sight seeing your colleague holding that big box waiting in line at the signature queue!

• Like 1

I do wonder whether Lego really understands its customers and how to maximise their sales. 

Yes they want to sell these big sets to children but lets be honest this is an xmas only present and only the most generous of parents who won't be buying them similarly priced sets all year long. 

I got out of my dark age late last year and have purchased the following for personal builds since Oct 2015.

Retail

Death Star

UCS Tie

UCS Slave 1

Sandcrawler

Ewok village

Full set of TFA wave 1playsets

Tower Bridge

Big Ben

All 4 large creator expert vehicles

Technic Porsche

Helicarrier

Palace Cinema

and several others.

Bought in aftermarket.

UCS Imperial Shuttle

UCS SSD

UCS X Wing

UCS Jedi Starfighter

UCS R2 D2 

UCS AT ST 

Anniversary Tantive IV

ISD

AT-AT

and many others.

And yet this year as far as Star Wars UCS goes they've released one poorly done playset thats really a bunch of smaller sets and mildly redecorated a recently retired one. 

There's nothing fresh and exciting for a SW Lego collector to get interested in. They don't seem to be that bothered about their AFOL's despite the fact that we've got Lego budgets way beyond what most little Timmys could dream of.

The video games industry noticed this years ago and have reaped the rewards of catering to adult fans massively, I can't believe that Lego don't see the potential.

So rather than going to a retail store to pick up AoH and the Deathstar V2.0 Service Pack 1, I'll be hunting for 10227 in the aftermarket and buying bricks for UCS Moc's. 

Edited by Fenix_2k1

55 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I do wonder whether Lego really understands its customers and how to maximise their sales. 

Yes they want to sell these big sets to children but lets be honest this is an xmas only present and only the most generous of parents who won't be buying them similarly priced sets all year long. 

I got out of my dark age late last year and have purchased the following for personal builds since Oct 2015.

Retail

Death Star

UCS Tie

UCS Slave 1

Sandcrawler

Ewok village

Full set of TFA wave 1playsets

Tower Bridge

Big Ben

All 4 large creator expert vehicles

Technic Porsche

Helicarrier

Palace Cinema

and several others.

Bought in aftermarket.

UCS Imperial Shuttle

UCS SSD

UCS X Wing

UCS Jedi Starfighter

UCS R2 D2 

UCS AT ST 

Anniversary Tantive IV

ISD

AT-AT

and many others.

And yet this year as far as Star Wars UCS goes they've released one poorly done playset thats really a bunch of smaller sets and mildly redecorated a recently retired one. 

There's nothing fresh and exciting for a SW Lego collector to get interested in. They don't seem to be that bothered about their AFOL's despite the fact that we've got Lego budgets way beyond what most little Timmys could dream of.

The video games industry noticed this years ago and have reaped the rewards of catering to adult fans massively, I can't believe that Lego don't see the potential.

So rather than going to a retail store to pick up AoH and the Deathstar V2.0 Service Pack 1, I'll be hunting for 10227 in the aftermarket and buying bricks for UCS Moc's. 

Likewise, I came out of my dark ages around about the same time and pretty much have done the same as you and quickly caught up on what I had missed out, albeit focusing just on the UCS Star Wars and the modular.  I just have the UCS Falcon (concerns over remakes), UCS ISD (concerns over remakes), USD Snowspeeder (held of on this due to impending remake) Yoda and Darth Maul to get and then I'm all caught up. 

Now I'm asking myself, what to get next? In addition, the fiasco with the remake of the Death Star has completely put me off investing as a means to fund my own personal collection, and I will no longer be buying sets for investment purposes and only be picking up something that I want to build, which lately has been sparse, giving the recent efforts, hence, immediately, Lego will see a 95% drop off in the money I spend.  Replicate this with others and then this could start being a problem for Lego. 

To plug the gap, I've recently turned to doing MOCs myself and currently building Mortsev's UCS Neuolon Medical Frigate to tie me over, until Lego come up with something that I'd be willing to purchase.   There's a lot more creativity with the MOCs that AFOLs come up with, than Lego's supposedly in house experts.  You just need to look at the stuff that Anio has come up with ( Speeder, Venator Star Cruiser etc) and the 6500 piece AT AT that is out there 

• Like 1

Some of you will think I'm crazy, but I just bought myself a Death Star 10188 for 429 euro on Bricklink. I think there are 4 reasons to buy sets that are being dumped right now:

1. A retired set is available for the local RRP

2. The new version is actually more expensive than the old ones are at the moment

3. This set has some minifigs that are only in this set or the exclusive MF

4. Even if the price drops, I've got myself a decent set for a low price

What do you guys think? Price will go lower or actually rise above market price of the new one pretty soon?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Legojona said:

Some of you will think I'm crazy, but I just bought myself a Death Star 10188 for 429 euro on Bricklink. I think there are 4 reasons to buy sets that are being dumped right now:

2. The new version is actually more expensive than the old ones are at the moment

What do you guys think? Price will go lower or actually rise above market price of the new one pretty soon?

Much will depend on the new one´s EUR price.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Legojona said:

You could have bought one from me... even cheaper.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Legojona said:

I think you should have waited. There will be carnage on ebay with these in the next couple of months. Many people will just want to get rid and move on. I think it will level out at around €400 eventually, but I can see it hitting €350 before that, especially in auctions. Many bought in at around €350 and will happily take €400 soon enough.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

I think you should have waited. There will be carnage on ebay with these in the next couple of months. Many people will just want to get rid and move on. I think it will level out at around €400 eventually, but I can see it hitting €350 before that, especially in auctions. Many bought in at around €350 and will happily take €400 soon enough.

I might just stock up if that happens :)