10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

These pictures are crap.  The Big Ben would be a 7000 piece set if it actually was similar to the picture.  The Disney Cinderella's Castle is a computer generated item and the Death Star is a 10188 that is photo-shopped.

If you read his article, by his own admission, he is "guessing" regarding what these sets are going to look like. He would have been much better served to leave pictures out entirely, especially when the guessing doesn't appear that it's backed up by any real substantive insider info.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nawoo said:

That would be really hilarious. Retire a 7 year old set only to be replaced by a new one that looks exactly like the old one!

Good luck to all those who bought 20 of these

I am guessing those who bought 20 or more would have got in at a very steep discount and are already well in the money. It is the newcomers who only bought a handful and who paid retail who will feel the burn in September. When the real images leak it is going to be chaos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manse1001 said:

So out of interest what's the general consensus on here, off load our death stars now and cash in or wait for Xmas time in the hope the Re-boot is a different design, and then in turn the original continues to rise??

Hold for at least price and part count info.

Hold for at least price and part count info.

Yeah I agree, I'm willing to take the risk!! Personally, I'd be absolutely amazed if Lego produced a re-boot of a set that has been around for several years, and only just retired, to re-release something similar not even a year later! It just wouldn't make sense!! Behind the scenes they would have been working on the set whilst 10188 was still on the shelves. If it happens, I'm be tempted to throw the towel in!! It would kill in the investing game as there would be no demand for retired sets, as a potential reboot could always just be round the corner!

1 minute ago, Manse1001 said:

Yeah I agree, I'm willing to take the risk!! Personally, I'd be absolutely amazed if Lego produced a re-boot of a set that has been around for several years, and only just retired, to re-release something similar not even a year later! It just wouldn't make sense!! Behind the scenes they would have been working on the set whilst 10188 was still on the shelves. If it happens, I'm be tempted to throw the towel in!! It would kill in the investing game as there would be no demand for retired sets, as a potential reboot could always just be round the corner!

7965 says it does happen.First we need actual confirmation of launch and some more leakages to decide. Even then, people will want both iterations - SW geeks are like that.

2 hours ago, Manse1001 said:

So out of interest what's the general consensus on here, off load our death stars now and cash in or wait for Xmas time in the hope the Re-boot is a different design, and then in turn the original continues to rise??

Cashing out now. Rolling profits into a few more double ups prior to November and then backing up the truck for 4th quarter.

3 hours ago, Deadfraggle said:

If you read his article, by his own admission, he is "guessing" regarding what these sets are going to look like. He would have been much better served to leave pictures out entirely, especially when the guessing doesn't appear that it's backed up by any real substantive insider info.

I don't have time to bleed...I mean read....

7965 says it does happen.First we need actual confirmation of launch and some more leakages to decide. Even then, people will want both iterations - SW geeks are like that.

Yes you make a very good point, a MISB 7965 is still making nearly double on ebay then what you can buy a new 75105 for so maybe there is no need to worry. I think I'll just be more dissapointed then anything else, there are so many more sets Lego could have chose to design before the reboot the DS, I bet the majority of SW fans on here would prefer a UCS Bespin or something completely new like a Dagobah, imagine how cool that could have been, Yoda's hut, dark side cave, the swamp with a mini x wing!! Winner!!!

7 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

The picture of the VW Beetle isn't even LEGO... Image result for vw beetle toyImage result for vw beetle toy surfboard

doesn't matter whether the pictures are crap or not LEGO

fact is there is going to be a re-release of

10252 Volkswagen Beetle [ older was 10187 current prices around US $900 ]

75159 Death Star [.... ]

which also means that TLG is really really trying to decimate "collector's" side of LEGO. they had done that with 1 set before but now if its going to be a repeat for others as well then we have to bid adieu to all the "buy & hold-forever strategy". even @Ed Mack will feel the pain. there is no way he can avoid having a set that is being re-released ;)

10 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

75159 Death Star [.... ]

which also means that TLG is really really trying to decimate "collector's" side of LEGO. they had done that with 1 set before but now if its going to be a repeat for others as well then we have to bid adieu to all the "buy & hold-forever strategy". even @Ed Mack will feel the pain. there is no way he can avoid having a set that is being re-released ;)

Remake (think Winter Village Toy Shop) is different than update. Especially the 10187 Beetle could do with an update to remove the brick studs on top and create more organic lines. That wouldn't do anything to 10187's price ..... Not sure what they're doing with the Death Star, but unlikely it will be a rehash of 10188. If any, a rehash of DSII is more likely.

75159 Death Star [.... ]

which also means that TLG is really really trying to decimate "collector's" side of LEGO. they had done that with 1 set before but now if its going to be a repeat for others as well then we have to bid adieu to all the "buy & hold-forever strategy". even @Ed Mack will feel the pain. there is no way he can avoid having a set that is being re-released

Fact?

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Remake (think Winter Village Toy Shop) is different than update. Especially the 10187 Beetle could do with an update to remove the brick studs on top and create more organic lines. That wouldn't do anything to 10187's price ..... Not sure what they're doing with the Death Star, but unlikely it will be a rehash of 10188. If any, a rehash of DSII is more likely.

@Phil B, i don't think we are just talking about them being different we are talking about their individual "desirability" and value. { isn't that what we are discussing? } 

having said that if you just look @ what happened to price of 10199 after the release of 10249 probably your argument of "different" would just go out the window/door. { unless its significantly different; value is going to plummet. }

1 hour ago, Lordoflego said:

Fact?

yeah fact as in when lego set database has set number released then its official that sets are coming out with those number and title. we just don't have details on color; etc.

i don't think one has to be a rocket scientist or lego insider to figure out

10252 Volkswagen Beetle [ oh yeah its a volkswagen beetle. hmm.. its going to be a beetle. different color? how different its going to be than 10187? different bricks sure. 30 different bricks ain't going to hold the value of either set.]

75159 Death Star [ oh its going to be a sphere.. with compartments. hmm... how different than 10143 or 10188 ? hmm... will it have mini figures ok that we don't know ] but basically no matter what it is ... simply put.. its not going to do squat to current valuation of #10143 because there are not that many around. someone with $$ will definitely want it to complete their collection. #10188 can't be put into the same category simply because there are just too many around and its not going to appreciate in the realm for it to matter much.

• 2 weeks later...