10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

On 23/3/2016 at 5:21 PM, stephen_rockefeller said:

Simple.........just explain to him that money is more important than his happiness. Also explain to him that Lego is not a toy, it's a commodity only.

Well, not as simple as that. To start, he's only 4. And we could buy a shitload of LEGO with that money. And if we open this one, why would not we open a Helicarrier, a Town Hall and a couple of SSD as well ? :)

Of course, we build a lot of LEGO together, and I probably would'nt invest if I had no children. Anyway... there are really awkward moments, like when I have to explain that "Daddy is shipping a LEGO set to someone he doesn't know" or "Daddy, why did you buy 10 of this set? We already have one".  

But most of all, I would be sincerely afraid to spoil my child with a 600€ LEGO set (even if I have great hesitation about this one in particular :))

• Like 1

Any opinions on whether this set will appreciate in value past its current £450 mark? I'm hoping that in two years it will be worth a fair bit more. Even considering buying another at the current going rate on eBay to have in case it goes the same way as the other UCS sets.

Any opinions on whether this set will appreciate in value past its current £450 mark? I'm hoping that in two years it will be worth a fair bit more. Even considering buying another at the current going rate on eBay to have in case it goes the same way as the other UCS sets.

The previous 237 pages are probably worth a read and after that you still won't have a definitive answer to your question but you'll gather some sound advice if nothing else!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

The previous 237 pages are probably worth a read and after that you still won't have a definitive answer to your question but you'll gather some sound advice if nothing else! emoji6.png

Yes, very true. I came blazing into this forum like a noob and have posted the same idiot posts in three different threads (well, similar posts). Thanks!

• Like 1

Guest brickcrazyhouse
7 minutes ago, 252grams said:

Yes, very true. I came blazing into this forum like a noob and have posted the same idiot posts in three different threads (well, similar posts). Thanks!

F.Y.I. 4 whammies and you're out.

So I have been selling 10188 on EBay.. Twice now In the past 2 weeks I have sold it with the buyer creating an account literally minutes before buying with 0 feedback either way.. . My instincts told me to cancel both sells.. Thoughts??

Edited by Martae54

So I have been selling 10188 on EBay.. Twice now In the past 2 weeks I have sold it with the buyer creating an account literally minutes before buying with 0 feedback either way.. . My instincts told me to cancel both sells.. Thoughts??

that's a no go, no question, cancel, cancel, CANCEL this, both transactions with brand new buyer? Wow, no need to proceed, really.

....but in the meantime, ask them so questions, delay for now, money received?

Just now, Lordoflego said:

, that's a no-go, no question , cancel, cancel, CANCEL this, both transactions with brand new buyer? Wow, no need to proceed, really.

Yeah i have done so .. Just wanted some opinions that is the right thing to do.. I really want to sell them locally but that can be tough. People don't normally come to toy shops looking to spend $600 on a Death Star..  In the future as the price climbs on these would I be better to open boxes carefully and display bags w  minifigs since are SO many in this set? Or should I be super selective on a buyer and leave them sealed? These are my fist big exclusive to sell.. Bought and sold sets under $50 for years.. But these are a little different.. 

20 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

Could be a guest check out. Was the username random numbers and letters? 

100% scam, I've been watching a few of these sale on the eBay UK recently at £100 or so under market value, some users have 20+ 100% feedback but when reading the feedback is completed fabricated and the user has only been in existence a few months. Obviously a big set that scammers have realised people want and will pay big money for. Regards selling on eBay, I have modified my profile settings to only allow users to bid with 5+ feedback, a credit card on file, etc. Etc. There are lots of options and well worth looking into so you don't get scammed.

• Like 1

100% scam, I've been watching a few of these sale on the eBay UK recently at £100 or so under market value, some users have 20+ 100% feedback but when reading the feedback is completed fabricated and the user has only been in existence a few months. Obviously a big set that scammers have realised people want and will pay big money for. Regards selling on eBay, I have modified my profile settings to only allow users to bid with 5+ feedback, a credit card on file, etc. Etc. There are lots of options and well worth looking into so you don't get scammed.

The trend I have seen recently on ebay is that the relatively new account has between 10-15 feedback, 100% positive, but if you check "sellers other items" and mark the "sold" option, you'll find they are all dvds/books that have sold for a penny or so. That way they have their feedback.

I know this because I filtered a lego search with "newly listed" and the first one on the list was taj mahal, sealed, £1000, buy it now. I hastily checked the description, pics, name and feedback and clicked buy it now..... You can guess the rest!

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Nawoo said:

That would be really hilarious. Retire a 7 year old set only to be replaced by a new one that looks exactly like the old one!

Good luck to all those who bought 20 of these

Contents maybe the same, but there will be some changes to the box... a new set # with a new box art ;) 

Somebody generating lousy graphics for what he/she "thinks" sets might look like isn't any sort of confirmation. 

And BTW, that is just a picture of 10188 put through a really lousy image filter.

A Toy Shop type remake (almost brick for brick) of 10188 would just be the end for Lego. I'm not holding my breath either way. 

Between this and Assault on Hoth, maybe TLG has just gotten tired of trying to ban resellers and decided to make their products completely unappealing and put an end to sales all together :P

Seriously though, I'm looking at the picture of the beetle and can't imagine a way you could make that many smooth curves and that much detail in a $99 set.  Any why would Goofy and Micky come with Cinderella's Castle? Personally, I'm not buying this

9 minutes ago, gbg108 said:

Between this and Assault on Hoth, maybe TLG has just gotten tired of trying to ban resellers and decided to make their products completely unappealing and put an end to sales all together :P

Seriously though, I'm looking at the picture of the beetle and can't imagine a way you could make that many smooth curves and that much detail in a $99 set.  Any why would Goofy and Micky come with Cinderella's Castle? Personally, I'm not buying this

The picture of the VW Beetle isn't even LEGO... Image result for vw beetle toyImage result for vw beetle toy surfboard

• Like 3