10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

3 hours ago, emazers said:

people are Cracking everyday just to make a few bucks. So you guys with just a few and selling them now I thing are making a huge mistake, and to sell to pay off your credit card bill, well the big rule is don't go in major debt to buy Lego unless you can pay it off when the bill comes. And guys who think the set should rise big bucks after a few months are living in a dream world. So Unless you have to sell for money that you need now hold on to them. I always stated buying is hard enough, but waiting without cracking is another thing.     Ed

As always emazers graces us with his wise wisdom. I agree a lot of these new investors are delusional thinking as soon as retirement hits they should be rolling in the dough. 

4 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

As always emazers graces us with his wise wisdom. I agree a lot of these new investors are delusional thinking as soon as retirement hits they should be rolling in the dough. 

Life is so much simpler when you get your exclusives at 40% off RRP.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

Not true.  I am not happy with remakes.  I am not happy with counterfeiting.  I have realistic expectations and believe in the product.  I see how my son reacts to the LEGO brick and realize there will always be LEGO fans, just like me.  I know that long term, not much has changed.   After many impatient resellers will unload their stockpiles for little gain, I will be able to see appreciation that is close to historical values.  Patience will be rewarded. 

He has spoken!

4 hours ago, emazers said:

Look, I Have 60 Death Stars and 100% glad I do, now since 2008 there were plenty times to get them $300 and Lower, when Toys R US had those buy 2 get one free Exclusives were included, so that was about $280 a set, and when Barnes and Noble had them I got 16 for $262.00, so in 3-5 yrs if I can only make $300 on each one I am happy, but they should be $1000 and rising. Just look last year when the SSD retired how many guys on here were saying it would take 3 or more yrs to get to $700, and look at them now. Sure there are plenty out there but people are Cracking everyday just to make a few bucks. So you guys with just a few and selling them now I thing are making a huge mistake, and to sell to pay off your credit card bill, well the big rule is don't go in major debt to buy Lego unless you can pay it off when the bill comes. And guys who think the set should rise big bucks after a few months are living in a dream world. So Unless you have to sell for money that you need now hold on to them. I always stated buying is hard enough, but waiting without cracking is another thing.     Ed

ah we should not forget that wise guys predicted $1500 by 12/15 when i sold some @ $1000 during 9/15. there is certain expectation for me. not double the RRP but when any exclusives are not available from official source/marked retired then i would expect it to be @ 1.4XRRP (that's the breakeven point for purchase @ RRP+TAX for exclusives) if any set is not following that pattern then they are underperforming. 

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

Not true.  I am not happy with remakes.  I am not happy with counterfeiting.  I have realistic expectations and believe in the product.  I see how my son reacts to the LEGO brick and realize there will always be LEGO fans, just like me.  I know that long term, not much has changed.   After many impatient resellers will unload their stockpiles for little gain, I will be able to see appreciation that is close to historical values.  Patience will be rewarded. 

i would have battled horde any time but when TLG changed the rules by "re-releasing older sets" and "releasing exclusives/rare mini figures & parts" out from various ways outside of traditional way (i.e. sets) then it has fundamentally changed the way LEGO collecting and for that matter re-selling is to be done.

yes there is certainly money to be made but traditional BUY_HOLD (SELL AFTER CERTAIN TIME) now seems be antiquated. window of that hold and sell period is getting so short that its going to be totally not at all practical. yes i do have tons of sets from circa 2011,2012,2013 that are generating some flow right now. but i would be very very hesitant to hold on larger number of current releases though. 

• Like 1

I bought a discounted Death Star 3 or 4 years ago. 

Now that I finally can resell it for approx. +100%, my son has grown older and wants to play with it...

Dawn. How could I explain him he cannot play with it, nor the 3 tons of LEGO I have in my attic? :derisive:

Edited by denosya
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, denosya said:

I bought a discounted Death Star 3 or 4 years ago. 

Now that I finally can resell it for approx. +100%, my son has grown older and wants to play with it...

Dawn. How could I explain him he cannot play with it, nor the 3 tons of LEGO I have in my attic? :derisive:

That's where buying used sets comes into play. Get a used one for your son, sell the mint one later on to pay for the used one.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Phil B said:

That's where buying used sets comes into play. Get a used one for your son, sell the mint one later on to pay for the used one.

That's my strategy as well. As lame as it sounds, It pains me to open a new set to build. I've been patient and finally bought a used Haunted House for a decent price to build.

6 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

That's my strategy as well. As lame as it sounds, It pains me to open a new set to build. I've been patient and finally bought a used Haunted House for a decent price to build.

Having bought both new and used, I'm sticking to new sets in the future. I totally understand the point on saving money and not dealing with the depreciation of opening a set, but I've found they are more work. With used sets you usually have to deal with cleaning them, making sure none of the bricks are damaged (Sets that have sat assembled for long periods of time loose some of their holding strength due to creep, bricks crack, etc), and I have found that 90% of the people who apply stickers have abysmal placement accuracy and standards. I think that the feeling of opening those fresh bags and applying stickers so they are square on the piece they sit on (and not at a 30° angle and hanging over the edge), and putting together fresh bricks is worth the extra money for my personal collection. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Phil B said:

The one DS I own is sorta new/sorta used, and was missing pieces.  I've got it complete now.  It's sitting there ready for my kids when my youngest is another year or two older.  I don't even care if the minifigs weren't there - I've gotten a couple, but for the most part, I can get any version of Luke, Ben, and the gang to fill it out.  I broke down at the end, as I didn't even want one, but then figured the kids would love to have one to play with (me included). 

54 minutes ago, Bags751 said:

Having bought both new and used, I'm sticking to new sets in the future. I totally understand the point on saving money and not dealing with the depreciation of opening a set, but I've found they are more work. With used sets you usually have to deal with cleaning them, making sure none of the bricks are damaged (Sets that have sat assembled for long periods of time loose some of their holding strength due to creep, bricks crack, etc), and I have found that 90% of the people who apply stickers have abysmal placement accuracy and standards. I think that the feeling of opening those fresh bags and applying stickers so they are square on the piece they sit on (and not at a 30° angle and hanging over the edge), and putting together fresh bricks is worth the extra money for my personal collection. 

You bring up good points. The used Haunted House I bought is a bit dusty so I'll have to clean/wash it but at $180, the extra work to clean it is worth it to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Simple.........just explain to him that money is more important than his happiness. Also explain to him that Lego is not a toy, it's a commodity only.

Similar but seriously, I explained to my son a few years ago that the reason I have money to buy all those sets we build is because I buy and sell the other ones for profit.

He resisted the concept at 6 or 7 but now at 10 he totally gets it.

5 hours ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Simple.........just explain to him that money is more important than his happiness. Also explain to him that Lego is not a toy, it's a commodity only.

Yup. He'd be happier when he graduate college without student loans hanging over his head, thanks to selling all those MISB LEGO he could not touch :P