10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Really?  So if someone offered you a free DS you wouldn't accept it?  :hmm:

I answered the topic question of "When do you pull the trigger?" with a $0.00 price point, aka free. I don't think that means I wouldn't accept a free one.

Obviously my comment is a heavy exaggeration to illustrate my main point that this set has been a thorn in the side since it keeps getting produced, making returns take longer and be smaller in size.

Guest ph4tb0i

probably around $250. Every day that this set is not retired presents a bigger liability for a flop/reduced profits. 

I feel like I'd do it for 300 or less. But more than that and I just feel like I'd rather invest in something else. I agree in that the longer this thing sticks around and the more there are that sell, the less it's going to appreciate in the long run. I'm sure it will eventually see gains, but are those gains going to be worth tying up that much money in a big set for that long? Imagine those that bought one in 2009 for investment purposes. They will have to sell at a very high price to make the investment truly profitable.

After collecting for 4 years I've never owned or bought one. I feel this set will be around for a reasonable price for a really loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. Light years perhaps! I never thought this set was really that cool, and id hate to be stuck with 5 of these ugly things... 2 haunted houses and few fun houses.. Or a imperial shuttle, that's what I'd like to get stuck with :)

$320 $300 
When When When? is the question. 
Not only in the Price drop but EOL!

I have mixed feelings on this set.  
Iconic set, tons of speculation. lots of potential upside. 

on the other hand, It may go another 2 years or more, we don't really know what the execs. in Lego is thinking.
So what's the upside on a $320 - $400 investiment?
Even if it doubles, I dont think its a good number to sit on because it may take 1-? years of extra production time plus 1-3 year of secondary market to double.
So if I got 10 sets at say $350 that;s $3500 and I can sell it maybe in 2020

Guys, I dont have a crystal ball so don't rip this comment apart with your nasa data.

Having said all that, Im still going to pick up 2-4 sets just in case.
But I will wait until next year, this set is on the backburner, unless i see one below $300 of course.