10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Well it is worth noting that this set is no longer carried in most lego stores. But even if it were retired tomorrow, it would probably take years upon years before the aftermarket was cleared and the value started going up, i just dont ever see this being a good investment, unless you are getting it for sub $300

Well it is worth noting that this set is no longer carried in most lego stores. But even if it were retired tomorrow, it would probably take years upon years before the aftermarket was cleared and the value started going up, i just dont ever see this being a good investment, unless you are getting it for sub $300

Must be in your area...all 3 of our lego stores have plenty of them. See them every time I go...and drool. Still havent bought any..but I will.

speaking of which, the 10188 set does inclide 25 minifigures, many of which have never been seen before, and will not be seen again. looking at past sets, those one set run figures do pretty well.

even the SSD comes with a Boosk which is also rare - good choice on both sets!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so in regards to my September spending, I now plan on buying one main set and getting the polybags. This set will either be the Death Star or the SSD. I know the DS has been around forever, but I am 99% positive it will be retiring within the upcoming months. There are rumors that the SSD is also retiring after this year, but that I am much more shaky on. It only can out in 2011 and I can see it being around a while longer. When all is said and done, which one do you guys think will be the clear winner. I only want to invest in one, so should it be the Death Star or the SSD?

I'm trying to put myself in a collector's shoes (which is hard because I do not collect the SW sets). I feel as if I really wanted the Death Star I would have totally gotten in by now. So basically I I pick up that set I'd be selling it to either the parents of kids or people who are fresh out of their Dark Ages. If the SSD really does get retired at the end of this year, I think some collectors would have not has the chance to get it yet. But I do like the fact that the DS has a boatload of pretty cool figures compared to the SSD, and as a display, the SSD can be seen as boring. Dropping $400 on a set is making me really scrutinize my choice lol.

My vote is for the SSD. I think it's price will rise sharply once it goes EOL. The DS has been around forever and if it goes EOL it will still be at a reasonable price for a little while IMO

I see this too. I don't mind holding my sets for many years, however. I know it's hard to look into the future and speculate, but I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what will have the long term demand. I'm trying to figure this out by using what we know now.