10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

The reasoning that everyone that wants a DS has had the chance to get one is valid up to a point. Those that are not old enough or simply not interested in LEGO at this time can still strongly want the set once it is retired and the only place to find it will be in the secondary market. People keep getting interested into LEGO every single day, and new collectors are born every day as well!

You cant go wrong with either one I don't think. Agreed though that if you are only gonna get one its a tough decision.

I really said I'm only going to get one because I think they may both go EOL at the end of this year and I wouldn't really want to drop $800 on two sets in that amount of time. However, if one of them still sticks around, I'd probably end up with both. Do people here really think that the Ewok Village will replace the DS? Or do we see it replacing the SSD in the short term with DS hanging out slightly longer?

I really said I'm only going to get one because I think they may both go EOL at the end of this year and I wouldn't really want to drop $800 on two sets in that amount of time. However, if one of them still sticks around, I'd probably end up with both. Do people here really think that the Ewok Village will replace the DS? Or do we see it replacing the SSD in the short term with DS hanging out slightly longer?

I think that the Ewok Village is going to replace the DS. When I look at then, I see so many similarities, such as the large amount of minifigures, and the amount of playable featues in the set.

I see this too. I don't mind holding my sets for many years, however. I know it's hard to look into the future and speculate, but I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what will have the long term demand. I'm trying to figure this out by using what we know now.

I was thinking more along the lines of a contingency and you went for both; one now and one later. if you have the DS and the SSD retires, it will rise sharply like the Imperial Shuttle.

If you have the SSD and the DS retires, it won't rise anywhere near as quickly due to the length of time it has been available and that has given alot of people time to buy the set for both personal or investment reasons.

Ok, so in regards to my September spending, I now plan on buying one main set and getting the polybags. This set will either be the Death Star or the SSD. I know the DS has been around forever, but I am 99% positive it will be retiring within the upcoming months. There are rumors that the SSD is also retiring after this year, but that I am much more shaky on. It only can out in 2011 and I can see it being around a while longer. When all is said and done, which one do you guys think will be the clear winner. I only want to invest in one, so should it be the Death Star or the SSD?

ExoBr0 - whichever one you decide - you may want to consider accelerating your purchase to this week as TRU should sell it to you for $340 based on their 15% sale. Check out the thread I started for the details - TRU 15% 8/11 to 8/17 in store and online - Hard to Find Items.

ExoBr0 - whichever one you decide - you may want to consider accelerating your purchase to this week as TRU should sell it to you for $340 based on their 15% sale. Check out the thread I started for the details - TRU 15% 8/11 to 8/17 in store and online - Hard to Find Items.

Ughhhh, I wanted to wait until Sept. to get the polybags...

Actually I'm still waiting till September. I'm going to use my VIP points.

I'm trying to put myself in a collector's shoes (which is hard because I do not collect the SW sets). I feel as if I really wanted the Death Star I would have totally gotten in by now. So basically I I pick up that set I'd be selling it to either the parents of kids or people who are fresh out of their Dark Ages. If the SSD really does get retired at the end of this year, I think some collectors would have not has the chance to get it yet. But I do like the fact that the DS has a boatload of pretty cool figures compared to the SSD, and as a display, the SSD can be seen as boring. Dropping $400 on a set is making me really scrutinize my choice lol.

I would say that the Death Star has (far) better playability and the SSD is a more impressive display piece (just my opinion). For investing, I would always go for the latter. Few people will be putting $ 800 down for something for their kids to mess around with.

Good Luck trying to turn a profit on this for at least a couple years after EOL ... this is prob. one of the sets that have been heavily purchased by big time resellers, I would not be suprised if amazon, yoyo .. and all those huge toy companies saved up a huge stock in to resell after EOL.

Big sets I plan on keeping for 5+ years. But thanks for the luck.

I'd lean towards the SSD. Though it's more of an adult set than a kid's, it's the adults that have the money to spend $800+ on a LEGO set. Not the kids. I see the SSD being a $1,200 set within 4 years of retirement. Not saying that I have a crystal ball and know this for sure, but it definitely has the possibility. For those of you who say the SSD is "boring", I'm guessing you've never seen it in person. It is an outstanding set, and ginormous! 

I'd lean towards the SSD. Though it's more of an adult set than a kid's, it's the adults that have the money to spend $800+ on a LEGO set. Not the kids. I see the SSD being a $1,200 set within 4 years of retirement. Not saying that I have a crystal ball and know this for sure, but it definitely has the possibility. For those of you who say the SSD is "boring", I'm guessing you've never seen it in person. It is an outstanding set, and ginormous! 

Watch the video of the guy crashing them into each other (just up until that part. I cry during that part). The SSD is way bigger and more impressive.

Did you guys see that other thread with rumored 2014 sets? It said something about a "Destroyer." It's doubtful it could be as big as the SSD, but I wonder what would happen if there was yet another one released.

That Star Destroyer is rumored to be part of the new Recruitment line meaning something along the lines of a mini build with a minifigure and perhaps retail for $10. It won't be anywhere near the enormity of a $400 set.