What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

I built Pooh. I parted out the minifigs so the set was basically free, but it seems overpriced at $99 for what you get. The instruction book is done nicely with the classic Pooh illustrative motif, although it doesn’t come bagged and mine was ripped. Mix of printed elements and stickers. 

My main issue is more with Lego in general but this set maybe where they jumped the shark. It used to be neat to build a set with mostly square bricks and see the various building techniques used to make all kind of shapes and nice finished products. This set uses so many specialized elements some larger with only one point of attachment that it just seems too easy to get the end product. It also has one baffling part that I went and watched some live builds to see what others opinions were. If they give R2 a total redesign I think my point will be very evident in that set. 

92387B04-8098-4564-8AAA-D89C6EEF0242.jpeg

799E4DBA-8941-403C-80BD-5386E5EA3355.jpeg

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

I built Pooh. I parted out the minifigs so the set was basically free, but it seems overpriced at $99 for what you get. The instruction book is done nicely with the classic Pooh illustrative motif, although it doesn’t come bagged and mine was ripped. Mix of printed elements and stickers. 

My main issue is more with Lego in general but this set maybe where they jumped the shark. It used to be neat to build a set with mostly square bricks and see the various building techniques used to make all kind of shapes and nice finished products. This set uses so many specialized elements some larger with only one point of attachment that it just seems too easy to get the end product. It also has one baffling part that I went and watched some live builds to see what others opinions were. If they give R2 a total redesign I think my point will be very evident in that set. 

92387B04-8098-4564-8AAA-D89C6EEF0242.jpeg

799E4DBA-8941-403C-80BD-5386E5EA3355.jpeg

thanks for sharing...maybe LEGO thought this might be an entry to LEGO for many Pooh collectors and didn't want them to get over-whelmed build-wise.

But I agree, the trend in recent past years (2018-2020) have been more intricate and creative build techniques...but many of the 2021 sets seem to focus on scaled down and "easier build" options (see Star Wars, harry Potter, etc). Maybe LEGO saw a new wave of LEGO fans from Covid and their PR/MArketing told them folks want easier builds...I picked some big box sets this past year from sellers who never completed the sets (over half still in sealed bags).

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

the worse is a giant wall piece instead of bricks..C'mon LEGO!

Right.  LEGO has thankfully used them sparingly in most recent sets. For me there needs to be a nifty feature to utilize special pieces and the set needs to do something mechanically.  The main negative with specialty pieces is that they are limited on reusing for MOCs. 

Edited by Mathew

13 hours ago, Ogelwoc said:

Built the Mars Exploration Rover 7471 that I bought NISB for under RRP. It was built over few weeks, few hours each time. Got to say the build is definitely not for kids as majority are Technic parts. End result is fairly impressive.
61d255c3492249d32205aff8cb12d424.jpg34bed71bff47a530468b725626310595.jpg

hoping the current rover makes it as a LEGO set...w/ deployment/landing mechanisms and ofcourse copter/drone detachments 

This NASA illustration depicts Mars Helicopter Ingenuity during a test flight on the Red Planet

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

On 3/29/2021 at 8:54 AM, brickvoyeur said:

I got home from work Friday to my 4 year old saying "daddy build another pirate ship". Apparently he's addicted now. So I let him pick one out and we built it. Without a doubt the hardest set I've ever built in hard mode. The piece selection is vast (4 inventory pages in the manual) so finding one or two of the low count pieces was quite a pain. 

thumbnail.jpg.c207b81f310e122dd2156d8cce2d564d.jpg

This weekend I got home on Friday to another round of "daddy build another pirate ship".  So we built 70618 Destiny's Bounty. Picked it up on Mercari for $60, with only bags 1-3 open, to allow me to sell our sealed copy. Missing the stickers, but ordered them on Bricklink this morning. 

image.png.ac9e215eea7be644ccc978af201c1042.png

All we have left pirate ship wise is the 3-in-1 creator ship, and Barracuda Bay. I assume they will be on deck soon. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Final build from Changing Seasons.  This is the "advanced" model, which is the summertime home.  I think there were about 10 extra pieces when this was done.  I'm always amazed at how they engineer these 3-in-1s.

Now to tear it apart, and put the set into the Halloween Town bucket(s) for my eventual haunted town setup.IMG_6941.jpeg

IMG_6944.jpeg

IMG_6943.jpeg

IMG_6945.jpeg

IMG_6946.jpeg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Ecto said:

Built the Bonsai Tree in Stop-motion

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMebKXCG5/

Great set! 

23.6K followers! great job building out your following.  If you dont mind me asking, what is your plan/end game for this account?

I downloaded tiktok about a year ago and use it for entertainment purposes.  When i am bored and have time (rarity these days) I scroll through and look for afv type videos.  Khaby.lame has pruduced a few great ones, but I tend to really enjoy the real life videos, candid caught in action type.

It seems this app has infiltrated almost every age kid with device these days.  It sort of rreminds me how it was early on when facebook started back in college. It was the 'cool' thing. Where we could post demoralizing pictures of each other that stayed in our circle of friends or post humiliating stories on each others Front Page without fear of our parents, professors, coaches aunts uncles/entire world would see.  I could see tiktok as being just that as kids are able to follow trends and communicate to their peers in coded interactions to avoid those pesky parents lol. And most parents have been slow to keep up with tiktok.

Lately Ive been enthralled with restoration videos.  They are so rewarding going from corroded, rusty, non-functioning items to show room quality. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

23.6K followers! great job building out your following.  If you dont mind me asking, what is your plan/end game for this account?

I downloaded tiktok about a year ago and use it for entertainment purposes.  When i am bored and have time (rarity these days) I scroll through and look for afv type videos.  Khaby.lame has pruduced a few great ones, but I tend to really enjoy the real life videos, candid caught in action type.

It seems this app has infiltrated almost every age kid with device these days.  It sort of rreminds me how it was early on when facebook started back in college. It was the 'cool' thing. Where we could post demoralizing pictures of each other that stayed in our circle of friends or post humiliating stories on each others Front Page without fear of our parents, professors, coaches aunts uncles/entire world would see.  I could see tiktok as being just that as kids are able to follow trends and communicate to their peers in coded interactions to avoid those pesky parents lol. And most parents have been slow to keep up with tiktok.

Lately Ive been enthralled with restoration videos.  They are so rewarding going from corroded, rusty, non-functioning items to show room quality. 

Thanks!

It's been a helluva climb so far. Current plan is to keep posting & continue the growth. Stop motion can take a lot of time, but I'm able to make enough content in my spare time to post something new almost every day. I'm cracking open the big Harry Potter Castle soon, and think portions of that set will go great with my style of short stop motion builds. 

I repost most of my content on instagram & have been getting some pretty steady growth over there. If things continue the current overall upward trajectory, I'll probably pivot over to more stuff on youtube. Will also be pinging LEGO on twitter to see about a collaboration soon now that I have some pretty healthy growth and engagement stats to share. 

TikTok gets a lot of hate, but if you have any hobbies, there are hundreds of other people posting about them on there. The algorithm is scary good at showing you stuff that you like once you start using the app. The LEGO community is pretty massive on there too. I constantly recommend the app to friends and family.  It's evolved way past just dancing / lip synch videos.  

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Ecto said:

Thanks!

It's been a helluva climb so far. Current plan is to keep posting & continue the growth. Stop motion can take a lot of time, but I'm able to make enough content in my spare time to post something new almost every day. I'm cracking open the big Harry Potter Castle soon, and think portions of that set will go great with my style of short stop motion builds. 

I repost most of my content on instagram & have been getting some pretty steady growth over there. If things continue the current overall upward trajectory, I'll probably pivot over to more stuff on youtube. Will also be pinging LEGO on twitter to see about a collaboration soon now that I have some pretty healthy growth and engagement stats to share. 

TikTok gets a lot of hate, but if you have any hobbies, there are hundreds of other people posting about them on there. The algorithm is scary good at showing you stuff that you like once you start using the app. The LEGO community is pretty massive on there too. I constantly recommend the app to friends and family.  It's evolved way past just dancing / lip synch videos.  

Thats a great plan, thanks for the response.  I'm not a TikTok shamer, the opposit actually.  It has very good uses and just like any technology, not so good uses.   I was genuinely curious as to your plan.  I just saw youtube announced plans for a tiktok like platform called youtube shorts.  And they created a $100m fund to pay creators.  Might be time to make the jump straight to Youtube shorts.  Also goes to show the big players are threatened by Tiktok & the number of users, b/c they are staggering.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/11/22429350/youtube-shorts-fund-video-payments-tiktok-competitor

• Like 1

fn0abJ4L6P-PSTLp6GD4l7R-cSrSFcdrECErDe5IcNqKIJasEPeY5B5AhqoGr-gyHb76uaorZhuivieqfUwxSgjulKRG_MrnDqUo8nS1sL7UeFL2VJLFKypTfY6lK9JEu921jpEZXC3MUVUBX6nV-E-H7ru5L-x2fctw0VlBftVqOEQ0wF_Y6AdtiAe6TU3Vww0YjJRt4F0T2w93cgPII-t3s4rW--B1QKNliqLx4YlgIvUocEENVSFRktaPDwQIPyz7joy58zObtXkXct4nUKvWddNEMP5n7nQAPKssuz0LfhXlS8pEC-iOl_W8Fm_ncSvUm6Qr42HH9e-3xdOFpdarsciTgidG_ZIhYpXXl2dSLnjzEsuwCmciMDouWjF-wbxBqGnx4Mhz3cE5QcNUiOaKESGUpzZdDrKTd_CsA-lQ3ytI9RMIOEjGmObowzhtQuz1Dt7kDHtLBSYmFvY1dHWB6sTcE447FvZlYb6Iyfjun4ScGwWm3wOadVgJirJoBjYzZyz0fY-eVsnKWJX3AU9xAHUwMHDUsRr1YqENK-m9kI6P-_yIOIEm6mmiyxoOXKiU3HeOA18VXvhYZPLNp0Yx1jUUjCAfCJR9L4TO4iciFsyLTt2-usFIg4ZBKwt-Ae4QkUggHBiXHHy39g98KLwPAxNFHozYbAradWFd2Jx2GIQPM8ApoqhLd8BetanrVr5AT4eeiRtsfSkCWM2nWy2V=w1470-h897-no?authuser=0

I've been buying probably too many bulk lots locally the last few weeks. Got it into my head that I wanted some Power Functions train kits, so I jumped on one last week for $50 that ended up being just the guts and a bunch of track but then also a leaky battery crusted 8293 kit that I cleaned up good as new. The other day I bought a much bigger tote that had a few tracks on the top for $75 so I figured what the heck. Long story short, I found all the electronics but the train motor wasn't working, so I took it apart and tested it. Turns out the problem was the connection at the end of the wire, not in the motor at all - though I broke the solder weld at that thermistor (looked it up, thought it was a cap I could just replace) before I was able to do the continuity testing. I had to bust open the plastic connector and cut a little wire out and reconnect it but that fixed it. Then had to mend that solder joint (poorly) and even replaced the heat shrink tube on it, good as newish. Next will be to attempt to revive the 8878 Li-Po battery that came in the bin.

8877 Vladek's Dark Fortress. This set has been on my want list for a long time and I finally picked one up off eBay a few weeks ago.

I've always really liked the Knight's Kingdom era sets, even though this doesn't have the same level of detail as newer sets, it's a big finished product with a nice selection of minifigures. Folding cover box too! Pretty big footprint to fit in with other castle sets

IMG_0552.jpg

• Like 5

Started UCS Hogwarts. Love these little vignettes.  I filmed the Chamber of Secrets in stop-motion: 

Kind of wish the vignettes were self contained in single bags rather than split across 3 different bags, but I get it.  

• Like 3