75095 - UCS: TIE Fighter

NZ-EUG

6 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Neither. The TB stopped any further spending. :wink:

TB is very debilitating.

1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

Exactly my thoughts. Being on vacation hasn't stopped buying before especially with decent smartphones being so common. 

I think either resellers are saving their money due to various reasons or people aren't into this set because it competing Lego Exclusives. 

Or they could have warehouses full of them, for the Birds.

OK, serious (hypothetical) question:

Imagine that you are a brand-new AFOL, and you have a bunch of money to spend on your personal collection. For the sake of argument, let's say that you only collect Star Wars sets. What amount of discretionary money would you need in order for this set to make your list of must-buys? And how long would you have to collect for this set to make it to the top of the list?

I think there's a case of confirmation bias here among the long-time collectors/sellers. Yes, the TIE Fighter is iconic--and, yes, this set is the best representation of the TIE Fighter to date. However, I think it's important to remember that there are a lot of ways to spend your LEGO dollars.

With the large number of high-dollar sets available currently and the long list of desirable retired UCS Star Wars sets, isn't it possible that this set is fairly low priority? That is to say: would it be unreasonable to be dubious of the demand for this set? Isn't it possible that the library of LEGO Star Wars sets has reached some sort of unsustainable critical mass? Wouldn't a decrease in the number of new buyers explain the reduced growth in the recently retired sets? Moreover, wouldn't a decrease in the ratio of the new buyers to the amount of collectible sets adversely affect the profitability of "old reliable" themes?

There are currently 5 (!) $200+ SW sets... Has this ever been the case?

***DISCLAIMER: I don't have the data to back up these thought experiments, and I am not IronBricks***

I don't mean to be combative or to denigrate anybody's opinions. Now that it's sold out, I wish I had bought more.

Edited by tjj1984
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Some on here would advise you to invest in EV or SC before investing in the UCS Tie.

If one of those had the same deal there would be a frenzy. I think the semi lukewarm response on this deal is due to how new the tie is. Only one year in when 3 years seems to be the new norm on these big exclusives. 

Look people, I think everyone is underestimating the Tie.  Sure, it may seem like a stinker right now, but once this set retires, there is going to be a lot of collective regrets for those that missed out on the set.  It really is a beautiful set, and is a lot bigger than I would imagine most would think.  Plus there are lots of big pieces which add a lot of weight to this bad boy.  What it boils down to, is just like anything else, there will be mass scrambling and panic buying and selling, then boom, up in price it goes.  Especially when people realize this will probably be the only Tie Fighter we ever get in UCS form.

Oh I forgot to mention that this set is truly swooshable!!!!  It's so damn well built, you can swoosh this thing around and not lose a piece.

Oh and just to let you guys know, as far as 'prettiness' goes for UCS SW sets, I would rate them as follows:

1. Imperial Shuttle

2. Slave 1

3. Tie Fighter

4. MF

I know that's not everything, but as far as just how I feel especially in regards to the last few years of UCS sets, these are still the primo in display ability.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kenxxx said:

For you guys who spent too much money yesterday on 75095 UCS TIE Fighters at Walmart. You have a decision to make. It's on again:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Star-Wars-TIE-Fighter/42104274

Looks like it's gone.  Anyway, after the performance of 10240, I'm waiting for 50% off before buying exclusives that are 2+ years out from retirement.  There's no more space in my Pet Shop/VW Camper Van storage closet.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

Looks like it's gone.  Anyway, after the performance of 10240, I'm waiting for 50% off before buying exclusives that are 2+ years out from retirement.  There's no more space in my Pet Shop/VW Camper Van storage closet.

The UCS Tie Fighter set "should" perform better than 10240 since it's not a refresh and the ship is also in a ton of SW movies and cartoons to help with future demand....   I consider the 30% off as a gift from walmart

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

The UCS Tie Fighter set "should" perform better than 10240 since it's not a refresh and the ship is also in a ton of SW movies and cartoons to help with future demand....   I consider the 30% off as a gift from walmart

10240 is doing ok so far. It's not even been a year yet has it? I won't consider moving them until the 2 year mark. 

Tie fighter just got massively hoarded yesterday & the first time wm did this. It's got a long way to go before it retires, more investors than ever, and we will probably see more of these wm sales. The sale is nice but I don't think it's helps it's investment potential. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be so quick to say 75095 has many years to go.  We don't know that. Some UCS sets have retired after a year and a half, and this could be one.  Either way, I still am not sold on the UCS brand anymore.  I always think it's good having an extra, but I don't think this set will skyrocket beyond the 260 mark after it retires.  If you bought at 139.99 then you will at least double your money, but that's pretty much been the norm lately for most star wars sets.  But, getting beyond 2x is getting rarer and rarer and that's because of how many people are holding them anymore.  The UCS x-wing is going to be a long long ride before one doubles their money from a RRP buy-in. 

5 minutes ago, crimson773 said:

does anyone have a screenshot of the discounted price from Walmart or have an invoice with the markdown?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/42104274?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227033730878&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=70399142072&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=133510161444&veh=sem