75095 - UCS: TIE Fighter

NZ-EUG

1 minute ago, Ciglione said:

This might be the first and the last UCS Tie Fighter. 

Cause as already mentioned by others... It is a straight forward build. So not much room for creative building.

I bought only one till now. And at a nice discount. Otherwise I just might have skipped this one.

I agree, at less than 30% I pass as the Tie FIghter hase never performed as well as the X Wing.

Wasn't R5 also heavily criticized in its 1st year of availability? Even remembered that it was bundled with the Y-wing and look at it now.

I agree that the Tie Fighter might be less than popular than R5 but at $140,,,this is a no brainer for a UCS set.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I wonder why that is.. Wouldn't anyone need at least 3 TIEs for every X-Wing to make it an even fight ???

Exactly, an inferior fighter by all accounts. Maybe the X wing is more identified with strong characters such as Porkins, whereas the Tie is more of an anonymous henchman type craft. Vader´s Advanced Tie would seem a stronger model.

56 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

The Tie Fighter is a rather boring set, IMO.  I have seen it built at a lego store, but is it wrong to find this as the weakest UCS set (id even rank it below Assault on Hoth), and also to think that this walmart sales price point is actually where it should have been in the first place!  139.99 for that set sounds about right.  However, I may buy one, but I doubt i'll ever build it.  This set just doesn't scream for me to build it, and for some reason i'd only see it as a long term investment. 

i agree with 90% of what you typed.  The set itself isn't overly interesting to me.  I do like the last two non-UCS versions though. Still, the sale price is too good to pass up especially if you want one to build.

Regarding the Investment potential,  the iconic Tie-Fighter will perform better than the 10127 B-Wing which is now selling for $300 on eBay.  Not a bad price for a set that was heavily discounted in 2013 (many sets sold for $99.99 and $160). 

1 hour ago, fossilrock said:

The Tie Fighter is a rather boring set, IMO.  I have seen it built at a lego store, but is it wrong to find this as the weakest UCS set (id even rank it below Assault on Hoth), and also to think that this walmart sales price point is actually where it should have been in the first place!  139.99 for that set sounds about right.  However, I may buy one, but I doubt i'll ever build it.  This set just doesn't scream for me to build it, and for some reason i'd only see it as a long term investment. 

I disagree 100%.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Walmart already got me with $160 tower bridges. 2 years later and no end in sight. Going to sit this one out for now. 

Deals like this are always a hard call. The value is definitely strong at the price however i agree with you that this is an inefficient use of resources. The money could be better spent elsewhere. 

That being said I'm not strong enough to resist not purchasing a couple :| 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Sounds like an identical lifecycle to me.

Both launched May 2015. Kwik retiring 2 years sooner is identical? 

Tie may very well be better, kwik could last 10 years, who knows. 3 years ago Would have bought 5 tie's at this price without hesitating. Life cycles are too unpredictable now. I prefer to buy once eol is all but certain. Rumor has it Simpsons is done at the end of the year, Star Wars will never die and this Tie could be around for years. 

• Like 1

This probably should not have been a $199 set. It doesn't hold a candle to the Slave 1 at that price point, and I think its sales were cannibalized by the availability of the FOT for ~1/4th the cost. I'm in for at least one at $139, but I'm debating whether or not it's worth TIE'ing up the funds/closet space to buy multiples.

• Like 3

Both launched May 2015. Kwik retiring 2 years sooner is identical? 

Tie may very well be better, kwik could last 10 years, who knows. 3 years ago Would have bought 5 tie's at this price without hesitating. Life cycles are too unpredictable now. I prefer to buy once eol is all but certain. Rumor has it Simpsons is done at the end of the year, Star Wars will never die and this Tie could be around for years. 

Yes

I usually try to stay off the bandwagon... but I think this set at 30% off is a rare opportunity. If shop.lego were offering "sextuple VIP points" on 75095 right now, their servers would explode. Maybe it will hang around a couple more years - worst case, if I someday regret buying these, I can always unload them during some eBay "75% off final value fees" promo... I did just that with some of my 10188's and some 10240's (something I regret now).  I could also trade them with another investor for some other exclusive.  And if it surprises us, and EOLs after 18 months... or 24 months... well... the only ones with regrets will be those who didn't buy them today.

Edited by Kenxxx