75095 - UCS: TIE Fighter

NZ-EUG

• 3 weeks later...

My son is thinking of buying one of the Tie Fighters . We teach him to buy toys that you love, but also buy the ones that will make money for you later.  

We are expecting this one to do well when it retires years and years from now right? He already has the x-wing , millenium falcon and R2D2.

My son is thinking of buying one of the Tie Fighters . We teach him to buy toys that you love, but also buy the ones that will make money for you later.  

We are expecting this one to do well when it retires years and years from now right? He already has the x-wing , millenium falcon and R2D2.

"Dad can I get the CHIMA phoenix temple?  The mini figs are so cool!"

"Come on Son!  I've taught you better than that.  The CAGR of that CHIMA set is pathetic!  You're getting a Parisian Restaurant and that's final!  And if those instructions get ripped, you're grounded!"

• Like 8

"Come on Son!  I've taught you better than that.  The CAGR of that CHIMA set is pathetic!  You're getting a Parisian Restaurant and that's final!  And if those instructions get ripped, you're grounded!"

I just built the Flying Phoenix Fire Temple for the book pictures and it is quite an impressive set. Minifigures are very cool.
  • Like 1

​I would not link 'toys you love' with ones that would "make you money" because there is a good chance the money part won't happen. (and/or even if the set appreciates he won't want to sell it anyways do to sentimental value)

If you want to go this route I would buy 2 of each...one to love and the other to speculate.

• Like 3

I just built the Flying Phoenix Fire Temple for the book pictures and it is quite an impressive set. Minifigures are very cool.

​I still think that Chima sets have some of the best designed minifigures. The sets are getting more and more detail and the new addition of translucent pieces to their sets is just icing on the cake.

If only the general population would agree and bump up sales accordingly.....

​I would not link 'toys you love' with ones that would "make you money" because there is a good chance the money part won't happen. (and/or even if the set appreciates he won't want to sell it anyways do to sentimental value)

If you want to go this route I would buy 2 of each...one to love and the other to speculate.

​He Likes  the UCS sets because they are made to be display pieces and usually have a base, and don't attract as much dust.  He knows that they may or may not do well, and he has a track record of being willing to part with the ones that will make money for him, that he doesn't love anymore,  and also with the ones that  will not go up in value much. One boy can only keep so much lego in his room , before he has too much , and has to sell something. So it teaches him to make decisions about what he likes the most , as well as what to let go of. He is making a tidy profit, and gets the lego he loves. I am not interested in the tie fighter - he is. But thanks for the advice above.

• 4 months later...
DRAMA! TooS at EU Shop. This is a curveball as there were loads in stock according to last data. New new box, problem with loose head, early EOL????

Yes. You should liquidate everything you own and buy all the Tie Fighters you can find and do so TODAY! This is clearly going to be the biggest curveball that TLG has ever thrown at resellers because what multi-billion dollar company doesn't spend millions of dollars of its production, distribution, and advertising dollars on a flagship product only to kill it within months of release.

• Like 4

DRAMA! TooS at EU Shop. This is a curveball as there were loads in stock according to last data. New new box, problem with loose head, early EOL????

I would bet that tons of SW sets from LEGO Shop at Home stocks have been dispatched to Lego stores for obvious reasons.

Edited by biniou

...And by the way, son, when I said "we'll get it" I meant we'd buy it and display the whole glorious sealed package on the shelf in our closet.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Is the UCS Tie Fighter on the shelves in Europe or America apart from LEGO stores?

Here in Ireland I don't see them in any of our main toy retailers, and we have no LEGO store in this country. The only place I see it is on the LEGO Shop at Home website.

However, UCS Slave I is stocked here. Why not the Tie?

7 minutes ago, Anomander said:

Is the UCS Tie Fighter on the shelves in Europe or America apart from LEGO stores?

Here in Ireland I don't see them in any of our main toy retailers, and we have no LEGO store in this country. The only place I see it is on the LEGO Shop at Home website.

However, UCS Slave I is stocked here. Why not the Tie?

Its at TRU in the UK

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, rshafer23 said:

UCS Tie Fighter 75095.  Any guess how this will do in the long run for investment?  There just doesn't seem to be a following for it as there are for others like MF, Slave I, Tumbler, and so on.  

I believe the Tie Fighter will do just fine in the long run.  Yes, it's true, that it's a short repetitive build, but what do you expect with two identical wings and a tiny cockpit?  But the finished model is absolutely beautiful.  I'll have to take a picture of it next to a X-Wing.

The problem here though is that the Tie Fighter hasn't even been out for a year.  If I had to take a wild guess as to when this set might go, it might not be until near the holiday season of 2017.  It's still a pup compared to the other UCS sets.