75095 - UCS: TIE Fighter

NZ-EUG

6 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I'm surprised this deal hasn't been wiped out yet.  The fact that it hasn't and is barely over the 50% mark hours past is far cry from last year when whispers that the Death Star was retired when it hit sold out, and target, amazon, walmart and TRU were cleaned of stock almost instantaneously.  I think people are starting to realize that it's not all as cracked up as it's supposed to be. 

Not to play devils advocate :)

This deal has been shared in Facebook Lego groups too (as well as SlickDeals). I would have to guess that Amazon has a large inventory of TIE's. That in combination with one per account could explain why it's barely over the 50% mark.

Just now, buidee said:

I signed up for the free 30 day trial Amazon Prime just to get this deal.  I added a Final Duel Lego set to get the extra $30 off.  It was too good of a deal to pass.  

You don't have to add anything, you can use the $30 off and get the set for $100.

5 minutes ago, Val-E said:

So, when one year after EOL, it is still not trading at more than 20% above RRP,  people should remember today as one of the reasons why.

I have a different outlook as my glass will be ~50% fuller.  Say the 75095 Tie sells as you say for 25% over rrp 1 year after retirement (2 years from now).  250.00 x 20% (roughly in fees) nets you 200.00 on a high end of 135.xx buy in.  65.00 pure profit (not including income tax).   Just shy of 50% profit or a GAGR of 21.72%.  Now I do not think it will remain at 240-250 very long.

How long was 9492 out?  Discounts were everywhere.  It could be had for less than $30.  It is now selling for over 100.00 USD.  Not too shabby. 

Shows me demand for the vehicle/ship.  I sold 10212 waaaaaay too early thinking that is was not that popular of a ship design...I was wrong.

With the 10227 B-Wing comparisons many had a buy-in of roughly $100.  It can now easily be sold for $300 - 350.00.  Taking the lower amount (300) nets you roughly 240,00 after (20% fees/shipping).  140 pure profit (not accounting for income tax). 

What am I missing here?  Tell all family and friends to pony up some cashola and make sure to get them sent to their house not yours.

Buy-in of $135 or lower (insert opinion here) is a no brainer.

BTW my train of thought is very often flawed and biased on making money in this brickworld....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

This deal has been shared in Facebook Lego groups too (as well as SlickDeals). I would have to guess that Amazon has a large inventory of TIE's. That in combination with one per account could explain why it's barely over the 50% mark.

they must have had a very small supply of swamp police, because that went in seconds...  helicopter is up later (dont recall what time), if anyone cares https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-City-Police-Helicopter-Pursuit/dp/B00NHQFTUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468349994&sr=8-1&keywords=lego+swamp+police+helicopter

18 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Lol at anyone thinking this set isn't a winner at the current price. Especially those on this site (which specializes in the investment element) 

22 minutes ago, brickelements said:

I have a different outlook as my glass will be ~50% fuller.  Say the 75095 Tie sells as you say for 25% over rrp 1 year after retirement (2 years from now).  250.00 x 20% (roughly in fees) nets you 200.00 on a high end of 135.xx buy in.  65.00 pure profit (not including income tax).   Just shy of 50% profit or a GAGR of 21.72%.  Now I do not think it will remain at 240-250 very long.

How long was 9492 out?  Discounts were everywhere.  It could be had for less than $30.  It is now selling for over 100.00 USD.  Not too shabby. 

Shows me demand for the vehicle/ship.  I sold 10212 waaaaaay too early thinking that is was not that popular of a ship design...I was wrong.

With the 10227 B-Wing comparisons many had a buy-in of roughly $100.  It can now easily be sold for $300 - 350.00.  Taking the lower amount (300) nets you roughly 240,00 after (20% fees/shipping).  140 pure profit (not accounting for income tax). 

What am I missing here?  Tell all family and friends to pony up some cashola and make sure to get them sent to their house not yours.

Buy-in of $135 or lower (insert opinion here) is a no brainer.

BTW my train of thought is very often flawed and biased on making money in this brickworld....

There will be people happy to make less profit than 65 USD  after holding for 2 years  and that´s the problem because they sink the residuals for everyone else. See Tumbler.

If I don´t see double my money, it´s not worth the time, risk and storage space.

Edited by Val-E

22 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Then I guess you don't buy many exclusives. 

European rules are different as our prices are higher because VAT is included in the price for everyone. 40% off is not easy to get but can be done sometimes. For real best sellers llike Red 5, 25% is enough of a margin but other less popular stuff like Seacow, SOH etc need to be in the 30-40% off window to make them worth the risk.

Walmart used LaserShip for my 3 Walmart $140 TIEs. 3 diff packages were shipped.  They were suppose to arrive yesterday (the 11th) .  Their website states "07/11/2016 3:32 pm. Parcel not received from sender" for each package.   Walmart said to give it 2-3 more days.  LaserShip isn't answering their calls today so I e-mailed them.   This is what I get for paying the extra $4.96 expecting  "faster shipping" at Walmart.com.    

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

European rules are different as our prices are higher because VAT is included in the price for everyone. 40% off is not easy to get but can be done sometimes. For real best sellers llike Red 5, 25% is enough of a margin but other less popular stuff like Seacow, SOH etc need to be in the 30-40% off window to make them worth the risk.

There are no defining set of European Rules because the Lego market is dictated by different conditions in the many European countries. 

40% off on non-exclusive play sets is possible, if you're lucky at the right time. On Exclusives? Not here in The Netherlands. We might be able to 'play' with numbers by getting an exclusive sold at a discount from German RRP and then take the difference from the (higher) Dutch RRP to enhance the discount-percentage. For example the UCS TIE Fighter is €200 in Germany and €230 in The Netherlands. So when TRU.nl sold it for German RRP and then 15% off, it's actually 26% off compared with Dutch RRP. :P 

But in the end it's just playing with numbers to make the deal sound sweeter to your ears. Ultimately it's just a matter of comparing the risk of buying an UCS Lego set at a certain price and how long it will take to break even after it goes EOL. After that point you'll be in profit territory. And if you're used to 0.5% interest at the bank, then even 20% profit on LEGO UCS sets is already pretty sweet. 

32 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Then I guess you don't buy many exclusives. 

Oh, I forgot you could check my brickfolio. :whistle:

Well, my remark about buying exclusives at least 40% off RRP wasn't totally serious. I would take any UCS Tie fighter for 125€ even though I'm not a fan of the set. It's strange that the Tie Fighter is offered for these discounts recently. Maybe it's a slower seller than Sandcrawler and Ewok Village which were targeted by resellers and therefore will make a surprise retirement instead of those sets.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brian Briggs said:

Oh, I forgot you could check my brickfolio. :whistle:

Well, my remark about buying exclusives at least 40% off RRP wasn't totally serious. I would take any UCS Tie fighter for 125€ even though I'm not a fan of the set. It's strange that the Tie Fighter is offered for these discounts recently. Maybe it's a slower seller than Sandcrawler and Ewok Village which were targeted by resellers and therefore will make a surprise retirement instead of those sets.

I don't check stuff like that.  LOL.  I just know how difficult it is to buy exclusives at a discount, that's why the UCS TIE deal was a gift.

32 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

Walmart used LaserShip for my 3 Walmart $140 TIEs. 3 diff packages were shipped.  They were suppose to arrive yesterday (the 11th) .  Their website states "07/11/2016 3:32 pm. Parcel not received from sender" for each package.   Walmart said to give it 2-3 more days.  LaserShip isn't answering their calls today so I e-mailed them.   This is what I get for paying the extra $4.96 expecting  "faster shipping" at Walmart.com.    

If Walmart shipped it earlier than they would have, then they complied with faster shipping.  You never mention anything about potentially "receiving" them faster. :P

1 hour ago, Haay said:

There are no defining set of European Rules because the Lego market is dictated by different conditions in the many European countries. 

40% off on non-exclusive play sets is possible, if you're lucky at the right time. On Exclusives? Not here in The Netherlands. We might be able to 'play' with numbers by getting an exclusive sold at a discount from German RRP and then take the difference from the (higher) Dutch RRP to enhance the discount-percentage. For example the UCS TIE Fighter is €200 in Germany and €230 in The Netherlands. So when TRU.nl sold it for German RRP and then 15% off, it's actually 26% off compared with Dutch RRP. :P 

But in the end it's just playing with numbers to make the deal sound sweeter to your ears. Ultimately it's just a matter of comparing the risk of buying an UCS Lego set at a certain price and how long it will take to break even after it goes EOL. After that point you'll be in profit territory. And if you're used to 0.5% interest at the bank, then even 20% profit on LEGO UCS sets is already pretty sweet. 

AFAIK it´s not possible to legally avoid paying VAT in the EU - only the % in each country differs. When the UK is out of the EU, it will be interesting to see how that changes.

6 hours ago, jaisonline said:

It's amazing how fast some of us went from "0" to 60mph with 75095s during the last week.

I had no intention of stocking this set in 2016. But with the price drop in the last few days, I don't want to miss it. Now with rumour of it being poor seller leading to a possibility of early retirement I am now paying more attention on the market development of this set.

7 minutes ago, tacsniper said:

I had no intention of stocking this set in 2016. But with the price drop in the last few days, I don't want to miss it. Now with rumour of it being poor seller leading to a possibility of early retirement I am now paying more attention on the market development of this set.

It´s interesting that Amazon have broken the "no discount on exclusives" protocol and chosen to do so with this set. Perhaps it is a slow seller since it took them a while to sell their stock. In any case, I don´t expect retirement before winter 2017.

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

I don't check stuff like that.  LOL.  I just know how difficult it is to buy exclusives at a discount, that's why the UCS TIE deal was a gift.

Depends on country. Nowadays I always buy exclusives with a considerable discount. Hungarian stores tend to do it many times, I guess they sometimes overestimate demand for certain exclusives. I got Helicarrier with like 33% off.  But most of them, including all SW UCS can be bought at least with 20% off compared to RRP.

5 minutes ago, Val-E said:

It´s interesting that Amazon have broken the "no discount on exclusives" protocol and chosen to do so with this set. Perhaps it is a slow seller since it took them a while to sell their stock. In any case, I don´t expect retirement before winter 2017.

Either that rule no longer exists or retailers are giving TLG the middle finger when they can . 

• Like 1