75095 - UCS: TIE Fighter

NZ-EUG

8 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Either that rule no longer exists or retailers are giving TLG the middle finger when they can . 

Maybe TLG gave the giant retailers the go ahead to discount this set? At the end of the day, it is in TLG best interest to keep the giants happy. At the same time, the giants can give TLG the finger, but probably won't given how much Lego products they stock it must be a money maker or Walmart won't dedicate so much shelf space to Lego.

13 minutes ago, Val-E said:

It´s interesting that Amazon have broken the "no discount on exclusives" protocol and chosen to do so with this set. Perhaps it is a slow seller since it took them a while to sell their stock. In any case, I don´t expect retirement before winter 2017.

I think this set sticks around past 2016. I don't foresee many more deep discounts on this set. I think Amazon and Walmart originally ordered too many of these when it was released and were freeing up warehouse space. I think going forward they will keep a minimal amount of these in stock until star wars movies drum up more desire for the set.

So Walmart moved both orders to shipped and coming Friday so that's good! Also bought one from prime day (I bit the bullet and bought the prime membership)

I'll have 1 for my personal collection and 5 for holding. I could be wrong but is there a single UCS selling below RRP? (Retired sets) I don't believe so. Even lesser sets are going for 50-100% mark up! At 30-40% off I believe this is a no brainer!

Hopefully they don't do this again soon...ill be living in a house made of Lego...alone....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lego Templar said:

So Walmart moved both orders to shipped and coming Friday so that's good! Also bought one from prime day (I bit the bullet and bought the prime membership)

I'll have 1 for my personal collection and 5 for holding. I could be wrong but is there a single UCS selling below RRP? (Retired sets) I don't believe so. Even lesser sets are going for 50-100% mark up! At 30-40% off I believe this is a no brainer!

Hopefully they don't do this again soon...ill be living in a house made of Lego...alone....

Same here. Got my tracking numbers from Walmart orders. Both coming in single box. Hopefully they are shipping in their factory carton.

5 hours ago, landphieran said:

I think this set sticks around past 2016. I don't foresee many more deep discounts on this set. 

In my line of work, we have the 1+1 rule... if we find one, there is most likely another. I will not mind start buying exclusives at a discount ;) 

Edited by tacsniper
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Furious_george said:

Gibbled?

TOP DEFINITION
also: gibbled up 

1. (adj.) 
contorted, twisted 

2. (adj.) 
malfunctioning, broken 

3. (v) 
to break, maim, or otherwise impair 

"My brother's foot was totally gibbled after he tripped in that gopher hole. Man, was that funny." 

"Don't bother trying to fix that watch. It's been gibbled ever since my brother threw it in the lake." 
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, redghostx said:

If Walmart shipped it earlier than they would have, then they complied with faster shipping.  You never mention anything about potentially "receiving" them faster. :P

true.  what worries me is that LaserShip was used for this order and i just learned amazon used them for my $126 Tie ordered yesterday.  i don't trust that company as packages sent to me and my dad have been lost before from amazon.  This is my first Walmart order LaserShip was used. 

Most troubling is ALL of our past lost packages were never found :(   

39 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

true.  what worries me is that LaserShip was used for this order and i just learned amazon used them for my $126 Tie ordered yesterday.  i don't trust that company as packages sent to me and my dad have been lost before from amazon .  This is my first Walmart order LaserShip was used. 

Well...never found for you.  I'm sure someone ended up with a great CL deal for well under retail, and but, you know, it couldn't be anything but a good deal.  ;)

Keeping my fingers crossed that they come through for you.

39 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

I have never thought of this until I read this. Does anyone know what does the major couriers do with found packages that has been paid out through claims? I'd imagine UPS and USPS must have some crazy pile of "lost" packages that surface after a while. I can only imagine how fun it is to open all the packages just to find a bunch of rare collectible items after sitting in a warehouse for a long period of time.

I have never thought of this until I read this. Does anyone know what does the major couriers do with found packages that has been paid out through claims? I'd imagine UPS and USPS must have some crazy pile of "lost" packages that surface after a while. I can only imagine how fun it is to open all the packages just to find a bunch of rare collectible items after sitting in a warehouse for a long period of time.

I doubt it is that exciting.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, tacsniper said:

Maybe TLG gave the giant retailers the go ahead to discount this set? At the end of the day, it is in TLG best interest to keep the giants happy. At the same time, the giants can give TLG the finger, but probably won't given how much Lego products they stock it must be a money maker or Walmart won't dedicate so much shelf space to Lego.

Maybe LEGO's sales are not where they want them to be.

• Like 1

Let's face it. This is a $150 RRP set to begin with. The folks that bought this 1500 piece/1 minifigure set at full price are suckers. The only way that TLG will hit their numbers for this set and overall is to discount the hell out of it. This won't be the last time it goes on sale. 

19 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Maybe LEGO's sales are not where they want them to be.

I believe you (or someone of your stature) made a quiet comment that the ban on exclusive discounting ran out at the end of 2015. (Am I crazy in remembering that?)

Perhaps the new normal is the old normal. 15-35% off is ok for slow sellers if retailers want to.

It makes perfect sense that this particular UCS would have slow sales at THIS moment in its lifecycle. 

The early sales are done, the speculative sales won't start in earnest until around 1.75 years in.

The set is overshadowed by the same-priced Slave I, so if you had to pick between them and just get one, you're going with Boba.

I dont think that means the set is doomed to an early retirement, but perhaps this is just a sign that Lego is allowing retailers to move slower moving stock.

Just like we saw with Walmart's UCS TIE, Just like we saw with Barnes & Noble's Kwik E Mart and MIni Cooper.

I dont think this is the end of the TIE, i think it's the beginning of discounts for exclusives becoming commonplace again. #theory

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

I believe you (or someone of your stature) made a quiet comment that the ban on exclusive discounting ran out at the end of 2015. (Am I crazy in remembering that?)

Perhaps the new normal is the old normal. 15-35% off is ok for slow sellers if retailers want to.

It makes perfect sense that this particular UCS would have slow sales at THIS moment in its lifecycle. 

The early sales are done, the speculative sales won't start in earnest until around 1.75 years in.

The set is overshadowed by the same-priced Slave I, so if you had to pick between them and just get one, you're going with Boba.

I dont think that means the set is doomed to an early retirement, but perhaps this is just a sign that Lego is allowing retailers to move slower moving stock.

Just like we saw with Walmart's UCS TIE, Just like we saw with Barnes & Noble's Kwik E Mart and MIni Cooper.

I dont think this is the end of the TIE, i think it's the beginning of discounts for exclusives becoming commonplace again. #theory

There was a time in which retailers were not allowed to discount.  That ended in 2015 as far as I know.  I also know that there have been recent signs of discounts on exclusives in the US and more so outside of the US.  Also, people should think about the fact that buying limits have been increased on many sets.  Finally, has anyone been banned lately? 

I think LEGO's sales are a factor and that they realize collectors and resellers are an important factor in their success and have eased restrictions.  A kinder, gentler LEGO in which everyone benefits.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

There was a time in which retailers were not allowed to discount.  That ended in 2015 as far as I know.  I also know that there have been recent signs of discounts on exclusives in the US and more so outside of the US.  Also, people should think about the fact that buying limits have been increased on many sets.  Finally, has anyone been banned lately? 

I think LEGO's sales are a factor and that they realize collectors and resellers are an important factor in their success and have eased restrictions.  A kinder, gentler LEGO in which everyone benefits.

It could also mean the Lego hype has faded a little.

Edited by yang
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, yang said:

It could also mean the Lego hype has faded a little.

I think that is very much happening.  It was kind of predicted a couple years ago, that the initial onslaught of Star Wars would see a upwards spike in the Star Wars collectible market, and that has happened. Everything from the vintage figures to newly retired lego sets have seen decent price spikes.  But, there is a point where it all feels like it will hit the peak, and then sink again. 

As we march into a new era where 3 films will be released in 18 months (something that hasn't happened in this franchise history before), it could create a tipping point where people begin to feel Star Wars has hit the oversaturation point.  I'm already looking at the Rogue One stuff, and there are a lot of rehashes or designs of sets that look remotely similar to things we got this past year (yet another take on a tie-fighter, another at-st, a tank that looks like the FO snowspeeder, another imperial shuttle that remotely looks like Kylo's) etc .  Already there are rumblings that there will be more price increases next year on some of the merchandise.  That could create a downward spiral where more and more collectors will just stop being completists, and be more selective.  Or even the average consumer will just move on completely to something else. 

• Like 1

These all seem very over dramatic speculation. The tie fighter is just not that interesting a buy. It's been done time and time again, there's only one min fig and compared to Slave 1 it's just a bit meh!

Wait and see what happens if they release a UCS AT AT or Tantive IV.

The whole Lego hype is fading. I really don't think it is, I actually think the Disney Castle will be this winter's no.1 Christmas gift.

I agree that this year has not been a vintage year for Star Wars Lego, but I suspect that next year we'll get two new UCS kits, one of which being the inevitable AT AT.

I genuinely just think that this tie fighter is one of the more boring UCS kits around, hence why there may be poor sales. I bet Slave 1 and Sandcrawler have been selling fine.