75060 - UCS: Slave I

kerrmando

if a new Slave 1 is released (regardless of the included minifigs) for the film, there's a chance things can play out similar to 10240 (UCS X-wing) and The Force Awakens X-Wing sets.  Thus some people can legitimately assume UCS Slave 1 isn't going to stay around into 2017 unless Lego "thinks" it's a big-time seller. 

note: many experienced AFOLs think 10240 was suppose to disappear earlier but stayed around because certain folks kept buying them.

if i had to "guess", i think 75060 is done late this year,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

note: many experienced AFOLs think 10240 was suppose to disappear earlier but stayed around because certain folks kept buying them.

availability at shop at home usa:

10240 was available 2 years 6 months.

10221 2years 10 months

10212 2 years 2 months

10215 1 year 5 months

10225 2 yeasr 6 months

10240 was around basically the same as all the rest.

it wasn't an outlier.  it didn't stick around longer.  

it was around as long as r2d2 and people were surprised when that went eol.

the only difference was there were more brickpickers hyping 10240 retirement.

brickpickers didn't make it stick around longer.  that's a fallacy.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, cladner said:

10221 2years 10 months

10212 2 years 2 months

10215 1 year 5 months

10225 2 yeasr 6 months

Out of curiousity, was there a variation in time of year these were retired?

4 hours ago, cladner said:

10221 2years 10 months

10212 2 years 2 months

10215 1 year 5 months

10225 2 yeasr 6 months

Most of the sets mentioned debut before Lego began retiring sets in an more 'untraditional' manner.

My point was that Slave 1 could retire despite the ship being in the film like they did with the last non-UCS MF and UCS X-Wing.

Note: folks on BP do 10240 stuck around at last another 6 months due to the hoard. It was supposedly / initially thought to retire in Dec 2014 / early 2015  early / mid  2015 based on "legit" info people have access to that most of us don't. The same could happen with Slave 1.

I summary,...

Nothing more, nothing less. Just something for folks to consider.

Edited by jaisonline
wrong dates entered. sorry. i put a strikethough
  • Like 1

Was someone mentioning time available for larger SW sets released since 08?

Untitled.png.79c6b3a12e07f5c39572721a51a

Blue ones are the ones still available now numbers are the approximate days available at LEGO Shop at Home. Take what you want from the above but R5 doesnt seem that much of an outlier to me.  If we are getting another 3 UCS size sets this year (Hoth, StarKiller and Snow Speeder) then having 7 available does seem like a stretch for TLG though.  They can barely keep what they have out at the moment in stock :)

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

judging by the release dates the crawler SHOULD be the next one to go, which by the SW UCS record is sometime in november/xmas time. 

maybe.  based on the old days of predicting lego, UCS sets had 2-4 years of retail life with some exceptions. 

10227 started the trend of Lego retiring  UCS sets most likely due to bad sales.

if anything, Slave 1 is prob still a decent seller but we never know.... e.g. the Tumbler was initially a decent seller but still retired well less than 24 months  (brickset has the wrong available start date)

22 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

Note: folks on BP do 10240 stuck around at last another 6 months due to the hoard. It was supposedly / initially thought to retire in Dec 2014 / early 2015 based on "legit" info people have access to that most of us don't. The same could happen with Slave 1.

I'm curious where this "legit" info comes from?  We hear speculation all the time from various sources regarding retirement dates but they are almost never consistently accurate.  I tend to think retirement dates are not set in stone by LEGO and there could be various reasons for them keeping exclusives around longer or retiring them ahead of schedule.  Investors were hopeful that 10240 would retire near the end of 2014 since it was on backorder frequently and many seal codes being found were older, but as Cladner pointed out it had approximately the same availability as R2 and even SSD as Lego_Yoda shows in the graph above.

16 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

I'm curious where this "legit" info comes from?  We hear speculation all the time from various sources regarding retirement dates but they are almost never consistently accurate.  I tend to think retirement dates are not set in stone by LEGO and there could be various reasons for them keeping exclusives around longer or retiring them ahead of schedule.  Investors were hopeful that 10240 would retire near the end of 2014 since it was on backorder frequently and many seal codes being found were older, but as Cladner pointed out it had approximately the same availability as R2 and even SSD as Lego_Yoda shows in the graph above.

exactly! it appears SET retirement dates are fluid especially with LEGO having more manufacturing plants than the 2000s.

some folks like Ed Mack spoke about 10240 in that thread.

btw here is the updated chart to show only UCS sets.  about the table, it should not be forgotten that some sets like 10221 show a long lifespan but that is most likely because it was a slow seller up until the end (which isn't the case with the Slave 1).  it seems lego didn't pull the retail plug on sets then like they do now or 10221 would have had a shorter lifespan.

UCS.png.e81be44e82a834bc16dfe92868b0ea3a

1 hour ago, dcdfan said:

At this point, I shouldn't be surprised that there's an EOL discussion for Slave I. I just think it's really silly. Carry on...

it was just being stated that 75060 might be another one of those sets that don't need to be available despite being tied to a movie (Rogue 1) with a variation of it possibly coming out. just something to ponder.

in the meantime, it shouldn't be considered "really silly" to speculate what can or can't happen with this set given the possibly movie tie-in.  if anything slave 1 'should' be available well into 2017 but who really knows.   we all know lego has become somewhat unpredictable in the EOL area.

2 hours ago, zskid00 said:

i just reread my post.  that is what i get for typing in-between meetings.  i made the correction....  i never heard or read that it would go EOL in end of 2014. 

Note: folks on BP do 10240 stuck around at last another 6 months due to the hoard. It was supposedly / initially thought to retire in Dec 2014 / early 2015  early / mid  2015 based on "legit" info people have access to that most of us don't. The same could happen with Slave 1.

2 hours ago, jaisonline said:

exactly! it appears SET retirement dates are fluid especially with LEGO having more manufacturing plants than the 2000s.

some folks like Ed Mack spoke about 10240 in that thread.

btw here is the updated chart to show only UCS sets.  about the table, it should not be forgotten that some sets like 10221 show a long lifespan but that is most likely because it was a slow seller up until the end (which isn't the case with the Slave 1).  it seems lego didn't pull the retail plug on sets then like they do now or 10221 would have had a shorter lifespan.

UCS.png.e81be44e82a834bc16dfe92868b0ea3a

I don't think Slave 1 retires anytime soon.  That set is a bread and butter set for Lego, and they will more than likely keep that running for at least 2 and a half years.  We just barely passed the one year mark.  It only seems like Prequel and mediocre ROTJ sets got the early cull.  The Slave 1 is just too iconic of a ship to get an early cull.  I just don't see it.  

21 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I don't think Slave 1 retires anytime soon.  That set is a bread and butter set for Lego, and they will more than likely keep that running for at least 2 and a half years.  We just barely passed the one year mark.  It only seems like Prequel and mediocre ROTJ sets got the early cull.  The Slave 1 is just too iconic of a ship to get an early cull.  I just don't see it.  

I just pointed out that another set didn't stay on the typical retail lifecycle despite having a version of it in an upcoming movie and a refresh on the way. That's all. 

21 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

All of this retirement talk has made me antsy. I'm in for ten more before the pack of piranha known as the horde skeletonize this beautiful set in mere seconds.

Ha.  There is no retirement talk.  One post by me (about something to ponder) .  I wanna get nuts,

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

Ha.  There is no retirement talk.  One post by me (about something to ponder) .  I wanna get nuts,

Your "speculative post" just sold 20,000 Slave 1's in 24 hours for the lego group!  They're probably busting open another case of the dom perigean right now!

In for another 5… 

I kid.. i kid.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

Or...... They keep the UCS Slave I on the market and are just putting out a smaller version for a more affordable play set for the kids, similar to 7144 or 8097 I agree with the Slave I being a very popular and iconic ship, I think we could see both on the shelves. Look at the UCS Tie Fighter, and we also have 75101 and 75082, and Vader's Tie is in the works.  

44 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Your "speculative post" just sold 20,000 Slave 1's in 24 hours for the lego group!  They're probably busting open another case of the dom perigean right now!

In for another 5… 

I kid.. i kid.

I think we have a Brickpicker first, I don't recall reading a post with "Dom Pérignon" mentioned.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Guest brickcrazyhouse
14 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

I think we have a Brickpicker first, I don't recall reading a post with "Dom Pérignon" mentioned.

nope fossilrock has referenced it in the past, but he may be the first member to mention

edit:   What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

Edited by brickcrazyhouse