75060 - UCS: Slave I

kerrmando

If you can get hold of these are they worth picking up??

Read through the thread and build your own opinion, don't buy something because someone else says its good and a worthwhile investment. I have picked stinkers in the past like forest ambush and I could lead you to make a bad choice in purchases. 

Edited by Armor

56 minutes ago, Armor said:

So sellers buying from other sellers is all well and good if you want to quick flip but for a long healthy grow, that is not the greatest thing to happen to any product. I am worried that the slave and tumbler will turn into a AA for 5 years due to the mass amount of new people buying the set and then wanting to get their money back with a 10% profit margin. 

Resellers buying from resellers is the best outcome once the supply is fixed. Supply remains unchanged, demand remains unchanged, and the minimum price to break even has increased.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Yinchuan said:

Yep. But if you order them online, they can actually save you the trouble by sending them to you.

Really!!!!

out of stock basically everywhere in UK. Was kinda meaning if I happened by chance to stumble across a store with any in while out and about would you buy them.

Resellers buying from resellers is the best outcome once the supply is fixed. Supply remains unchanged, demand remains unchanged, and the minimum price to break even has increased.

I'm thinking about what you typed based on my old economics courses.

Resellers buying from each other. This diff should raise prices.

However, if demand and supply remain unchanged, how does that help? Something has to give between supply and demand. Supply needs to decrease or demand needs to increase (or bast case is both happens).

34 minutes ago, Jdsomer said:

Really!!!!

out of stock basically everywhere in UK. Was kinda meaning if I happened by chance to stumble across a store with any in while out and about would you buy them.

If you can find a Tumbler in the wild, the. Without a doubt yes. But that's a big if. Not worth throwing money at Slave I yet.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

However, if demand and supply remain unchanged, how does that help? Something has to give between supply and demand. Supply needs to decrease or demand needs to increase (or bast case is both happens).

Yeap, and i think the key is whether over time, there will be enough people opening up the sets to build. Without builders, the supply will remain constant after retirement, waiting for the next greater fool to buy over. I think for the more popular SW sets we can be assured of constant stream of sets being "consumed" after set retirement. I am not entirely sure of Slave 1 at moment.

47 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

I'd probably focus on something else that's closer to retiring first. Unless you're looking for a lot of 'em or looking to build now. I'm pretty sure Slave I will be around for awhile...

Thanks for the reply and advice, will do.

41 minutes ago, Yinchuan said:

If you can find a Tumbler in the wild, the. Without a doubt yes. But that's a big if. Not worth throwing money at Slave I yet.

Thanks for the reply and advice buddy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

It helps those already holding because their price is still fixed while the new seller's price has gone up. It they are buying after retirement they are likely paying over MSRP while you likely paid less than or equal to MSRP, so the delta in your price and their price is basically your competitive edge. Note that this doesn't affect the supply or demand side, but it does affect the cost to acquire and ultimately the price at which the new seller will sell.

Edit Forgot another thing it does - It culls the cheapest inventory and should ultimately drive the price up.

Edited by tonysbricks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tonysbricks said:

THIS! The key is "once the supply is fixed". People keep bemoaning how many Tumblers or whatever set end up in Reseller's hands. However, once the set has ceased production it either A) doesn't matter if scalpers own them all, or B ) Might even be better because there's an increased perception of rarity for the folks that wanted to get it, but procrastinated till it was too late.

Further, not everyone believes that Lego will ramp up production just because resellers are gobbling up too many sets. Even if you are prone to believe that, do you think that's happening with a significant enough amount to truly distort the supply demand curve after retirement? Some do, but i don't, especially for a set like the Tumbler or Slave I.

1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

Demand and Supply do change after retirement, and that's where the patient brickpicker wins.

After retirement, the procrastinators jump back in and every single day some new AFOL emerges from their dark ages and says, "WOW, they made that set!?!?!?" 

With Lego not making any more, the market shifts in the happy direction.

1 hour ago, dcdfan said:

I'd probably focus on something else that's closer to retiring first. Unless you're looking for a lot of 'em or looking to build now. I'm pretty sure Slave I will be around for awhile...

Agreed, but now is the time to slowly build your stash at discount. Gift cards, VIP points, free gifts with purchase, damaged box discounts, etc.

I've already got 5 at an average of 175 each, and i'll keep buying them in that range, rather than being forced to gobble my entire target stash at full retail a year from now.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2016 at 9:06 PM, mudcatsfan said:

I've already got 5 at an average of 175 each, and i'll keep buying them in that range, rather than being forced to gobble my entire target stash at full retail a year from now.

My understanding is exclusive sets do not go on sale. Best I can figure is to pay $199.99 with no tax/shipping on Amazon. What am I missing?

20 minutes ago, Copterman said:

My understanding is exclusive sets do not go on sale. Best I can figure is to pay $199.99 with no tax/shipping on Amazon. What am I missing?

- double VIP points with a holiday promo at LEGO Shop at Home.

- gift cards with rewards at TRU.

- bn membership, buy it instore for shipping to your house with membership 10% discount and a discount gift card for another 10-12%.   haven't tried this jedi-mind trick but have heard it works.

- rare one-off sales/price mistakes - case in point  target 15%+ off sale one afternoon like 2months ago that included all exclusives and was very very expensive day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Copterman said:

2 hours ago, cladner said:

- double VIP points with a holiday promo at LEGO Shop at Home.

- gift cards with rewards at TRU.

- bn membership, buy it instore for shipping to your house with membership 10% discount and a discount gift card for another 10-12%.   haven't tried this jedi-mind trick but have heard it works.

- rare one-off sales/price mistakes - case in point  target 15%+ off sale one afternoon like 2months ago that included all exclusives and was very very expensive day.

Like Clad said. 

2 hours ago, cladner said:

I didn't get home from work until early evening that day. I'm usually home between 2-3 pm. By the time I read the thread it was too late. If I remember correctly, they had a limit of three on each set. I had a $3k order locked and loaded, but by the time I hit submit it was too late and they already fixed their mistake. Still ticks me off that the one day in forever I wind up working late I missed out on that opportunity...lol. 

40 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

I didn't get home from work until early evening that day. I'm usually home between 2-3 pm. By the time I read the thread it was too late. If I remember correctly, they had a limit of three on each set. I had a $3k order locked and loaded, but by the time I hit submit it was too late and they already fixed their mistake. Still ticks me off that the one day in forever I wind up working late I missed out on that opportunity...lol. 

I'm pretty sure there's a life lesson in there, but i'm too obtuse to find it. :) 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Copterman said:

I bought three of them for 140 euro each in october, flipped two of them for 190 euro each and kept the third one in stock. 

I'm hoping the same store will do this again anytime soon :)

• Like 1

I bought three of them for 140 euro each in october, flipped two of them for 190 euro each and kept the third one in stock. 

I'm hoping the same store will do this again anytime soon

Where did you buy them? I bought one for €183, but I'm looking for more on a better price.

Stock is getting low here.... When is this going EOL?

9 hours ago, Freyke said:

Where did you buy them? I bought one for €183, but I'm looking for more on a better price.

Stock is getting low here.... When is this going EOL?

Colruyt/Dreamland had three crazy 30% on everything weeks in october,

unfortunately I didn't have the investment money I now have or I would've bought a lot more.