Friends - general discussion

JimBean4

Fan of Friends  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of the Friends theme?

• Yes, but only to invest in.
    • Yes, I like to collect them.
    • Yes, I collect and invest.
    • No, I'm not.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am plenty comfortable with my man hood, and have no problems buying these sets in public and in large quantities. there is no shame in my game!

DAMN RIGHT! Be a Man! :super:

Anywho, I have as much Friends sets in my collection as Bionicle which is so weird. I think it is getting to the point if it hasn't already that people will have to start being more picky with the theme in terms of investment but overall Friends is looking pretty good. From next year, Sunshine Ranch and Heartlake Juice Bar would be my picks; maybe Stephanie's Beach House and Mia's Lemonade Stand too.

My local Wal-mart has an abundance of 41013 Emma's Sports Car for 11.00 each.  I know this is a small set and not that much of a markdown but do you guys think its worth picking up a few/all of them?

Too soon to buy in my opinion. They should be available for a good portion of next year; perhaps there will be a better sale by then. Needless to say, I got one for myself around $11 but maybe a discount closer to $8-$9 would be better for investing.

I've been reading posts for some time now and there was one which reignited my thoughts into the investment value for friends Lego. Next year (already released in some stores) we will see the release of Disney Cinderella sets. My first thoughts on friends Lego was that it was high risk, its either going to be very good or just become a passing fad like many toys new to the market. I'm sure people have made money from these sets, but still think they are going to really well.... Untill something else comes along. What do people think now there is going to be a new wave of Disney sets aimed at girls and how will friends fair against it? For now it's Cinders, but then say Snow White comes along. Could these sets outshine the friends sets? Maybe Lego was testing the water with friends with bigger things In mind I'm not saying peoe will lose interest with friends, but now there is another runner and first impression are they are much more impressive. I think people will still collect friends sets, but people new to starting a collection will veer towards the Disney sets.

Laughed hard at the Aquaman comment. If anything, you have to consider the opposite, which is that the Disney princess sets could pull even more girl builders into the Friends theme. I think it's just upside all the way around. That Cinderella Castle set is pure gold down the road, and I predict it will be one of the most hoarded sets on this site.

• Like 2

Yes, there is a lot of variety that appeals with friends Lego, that speedboat would be my favourite, not that I think I would invest. There doesn't seem to be any value in friends figures but Disney characters are imennsely popular. I was just thinking what the popularity of ninjago did to other themes.

I very much doubt Lego would do that with Thors hammer or Caps shield, but Aquaman......

Thor's hammer appeared in two Monster Fighters sets as Jack McHammer's weapon of choice.

I knew someone would soon put me straight on that one, I think superheroes weapons should stay unique, but what can you do.

Could you imagine if the "boy" Lego world only consisted of the City theme?

Good point. Seems to me like a Disney line could co-exist with Friends just fine, especially considering they can hardly make enough Friends sets to keep up with demand. When one female theme is selling that well, it's like throwing away money not making more.

• Like 2

I know my Greek mythology, and know that's neptunes trident, didn't know his connection to the little mermaid though but guessed there must be to see it in the set. The superheroes aquaman figure in the arctic batman set has the exact same piece, this was the connection I was pointing out, with a customary dig at Aquaman for being mentioned. I can see people paying premium prices for friends sets that have gone eol, but these princess sets will open up to Disney collectors, one of the biggest markets of collectables in the world. Could spell good things for people continuing to invest in friends if collectors parents buying for kids, shift to Disney then go back to collecting friends and then supply is limited. There is much to consider. In bygone days, albeit products from another company, and I'm thinking toys from the 70's 80's, sometimes when a superior product comes onto the market, the former can die a death. For instance, go-bots when transformers came along. I would not say there is there same level of superiority here and friends Lego has good builds, change a few colours here and there and it could be boys Lego. I just see a big leap in the quality of the figures and theme in the Disney, some really good looking sets. Lego is so strong as a brand which is why is not easy to determine, but we have seen themes that were really popular slowly fade away on the after market. Friends Lego has to be the biggest push Lego has ever done for girls Lego and the theme is still very fresh. I guess its going to be like other Lego investing, where do you put your money, then there will be people who have only invested in friends... Lego know what they are doing, good on them for getting this far and making such advances in the toy world.

Laughed hard at the Aquaman comment. If anything, you have to consider the opposite, which is that the Disney princess sets could pull even more girl builders into the Friends theme. I think it's just upside all the way around. That Cinderella Castle set is pure gold down the road, and I predict it will be one of the most hoarded sets on this site.

That about sums it up just right. Everyone, literally everyone will want a Cinderella's castle. It`s about as close to Lego gems as we`ve gotten, and it`s even the correct colour  :thumbsup:

Speaking of everyone, this reminds me, 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c