Friends - general discussion

JimBean4

Fan of Friends  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of the Friends theme?

• Yes, but only to invest in.
    • Yes, I like to collect them.
    • Yes, I collect and invest.
    • No, I'm not.

Well, we talked about box sets so how about future critters for the Collectables line? Chances are we may see some redos (similar to Turtle's Little Oasis & Turtle's Little Paradise) but what else can be done in the meantime? Maybe a chameleon or koala? I know there is a panda set on the near horizon. (It was in one of those horridly blurry pics.)

This would make a great wedding cake.

Something to see for sure.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we talked about box sets so how about future critters for the Collectables line? Chances are we may see some redos (similar to Turtle's Little Oasis & Turtle's Little Paradise) but what else can be done in the meantime? Maybe a chameleon or koala? I know there is a panda set on the near horizon. (It was in one of those horridly blurry pics.)

Something to see for sure.

Different panda from Panda Guy's mini panda, I'm guessing? :)

Good question. I'd like to see more sea mammals. A walrus or manatee. An otter. A beluga whale...

New rant!

http://m.blogher.com/breaking-news-lego-fails-girls-again

Frankly I'm more upset that we haven't seen the News Van in stores yet (outside S@H)

I'm a little peeved myself with still not seeing the News Van yet. Also doesn't help when nobody knows if it is exclusive to a store or not. Back to the blog topic there, it is funny the scene setup for that set with Emma "talking about the cake story" but then again, I didn't think there was a crime problem in Heartlake City to start with. Maybe they could have made the story about celebrating somebody's birthday or a big party. You know, whatever. Anywho, even though this is another camper, I kind of like the look of the News Van better than the earlier Adventure Camper. The price point of $25 is pretty good too compared to the other one's $35.

I still play with dolls. Dang it, they aren't dolls, they are action figures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When's the next series hitting the shelves anyway?

Series 4 actually should have been released already at the start of January as the Friends Collectables share the same release pattern as the Collectable Minifigures line. However, I do know a lot of this year's themes and their first wave sets have been pushed back due to The Lego Movie so it could take until far as the beginning of March before they finally pop up in stores.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What do people here think about the Heartlake Vet 3188 as an investment?  I believe this set is retired now.  I see brickpicker value around $60, but could should this set rise like a lot of other friends sets from 2012?  Just curious.  A local mom and pop shop has a few that could be had for around $50 after tax.. thinking about picking up a couple.

Guest TabbyBoy

What do people here think about the Heartlake Vet 3188 as an investment?  I believe this set is retired now.  I see brickpicker value around $60, but could should this set rise like a lot of other friends sets from 2012?  Just curious.  A local mom and pop shop has a few that could be had for around $50 after tax.. thinking about picking up a couple.

Put it this way... I've had no problem selling my 3188 for

• 1 month later...

I am sometimes reading this thread and see the potential of investing in friends. I am still hesitant about it. I admire you guys and gals who invest in this theme and who were pioneering this new frontier. Can anyone really convince me to start investing in this theme? Give examples of good returns, etc.

I am sometimes reading this thread and see the potential of investing in friends. I am still hesitant about it. I admire you guys and gals who invest in this theme and who were pioneering this new frontier. Can anyone really convince me to start investing in this theme? Give examples of good returns, etc.

Just sold a Heartlake Vet, Heartlake Stables, and Olivia's Treehouse combo yesterday for $200.  I probably have about $85 invested.

I am sometimes reading this thread and see the potential of investing in friends. I am still hesitant about it. I admire you guys and gals who invest in this theme and who were pioneering this new frontier.

Can anyone really convince me to start investing in this theme? Give examples of good returns, etc.

Search for 3187 in the sold listings on ebay....

Granted, the high returns are all on first wave (2012) sets. It remains to be seen how subsequent waves do, as production runs appear to be higher and more investors have gotten into Friends investing over the course of the last year. It's really up to you what you decide on. I can tell you as an avid Friends collector and investor (and a female too, if that matters) that some sets are better/more attractive than others from a build and display perspective. I can also tell you which sets have been real shelf sitters (though once they're gone from shelves their demand may rise--who knows?!). The more you know about the sets you invest in, the better investing decisions you can make, IMO. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

I'm curious to know why you've limited the list to 2013 sets? (I ask, because I think there are sets with much better long range potential from 2012, and also some sets from the jungle theme coming up later this year that will also have potential.) Are you looking at just sets currently available?

Granted, the high returns are all on first wave (2012) sets. It remains to be seen how subsequent waves do, as production runs appear to be higher and more investors have gotten into Friends investing over the course of the last year. It's really up to you what you decide on. I can tell you as an avid Friends collector and investor (and a female too, if that matters) that some sets are better/more attractive than others from a build and display perspective. I can also tell you which sets have been real shelf sitters (though once they're gone from shelves their demand may rise--who knows?!). The more you know about the sets you invest in, the better investing decisions you can make, IMO. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

I never paid much attention to Heartlake Vet before EOL, so I was scrounging to get several as it it disappeared around Christmas.  It seemed to be a set that sat on the shelves, but it definitely has a nice return now.

I definitely had success at selling the small sets like Stephanie's Pet Patrol and Olivia's Invention Workshop.  I pair them up and they go for between $37 - $40 as a pair.  Not bad if you were able to get them for $5 - $7 each.

I never paid much attention to Heartlake Vet before EOL, so I was scrounging to get several as it it disappeared around Christmas. It seemed to be a set that sat on the shelves, but it definitely has a nice return now.

I definitely had success at selling the small sets like Stephanie's Pet Patrol and Olivia's Invention Workshop. I pair them up and they go for between $37 - $40 as a pair. Not bad if you were able to get them for $5 - $7 each.

Yeah me too...grabbed all the HL Stables from my local B&****** before Xmas :)

The smaller sets from 2012 are the best! (The ones that focus on each girl's signature interest. 3932, 3933, 3934, 3935, 3936) Olivia's Invention Workshop and Emma's Design Studio are my favs.

This is a good point. My wife is into Lego, but she thinks the friends sets are stupid.

But a Disney Princess theme, Twilight, Hunger Games, we would be broke.

my 26 yo wife who is a lego nut has forbidden me from investing in Friends even though I have daughters 4 and 5 years old who play with them.

just don't see much of an AFOL for this one.

>90% of girls when they hit 12-13 aren't playing with legos anymore.  girls are more into trying things, going places, social stuff.  i realize this is an generalization but literally EVERY TIME i go to a Target or Walmart, there are boys checking out the lego aise.  I have never actually seen a girl browsing the FRIENDS section. again all anecdotes.

boys who are playing with legos when they are 12-13 are paying 800 for a green grocer when they graduate high school.

if you are going to invest in friends i think you must do so at a discount on MSRP.  I snagged 8 Steph Soccer practices on clearance for $4.99 which i will be able to flip for $15 this xmas.

Who said anything about 5-10x premium?  That kind of increase does not happen often on any theme.  What is the most recent set that has delivered 400% return, I wonder?

Monster Fighter The Zombies.

my 26 yo wife who is a lego nut has forbidden me from investing in Friends even though I have daughters 4 and 5 years old who play with them.

just don't see much of an AFOL for this one.

>90% of girls when they hit 12-13 aren't playing with legos anymore. girls are more into trying things, going places, social stuff. i realize this is an generalization but literally EVERY TIME i go to a Target or Walmart, there are boys checking out the lego aise. I have never actually seen a girl browsing the FRIENDS section. again all anecdotes.

boys who are playing with legos when they are 12-13 are paying 800 for a green grocer when they graduate high school.

if you are going to invest in friends i think you must do so at a discount on MSRP. I snagged 8 Steph Soccer practices on clearance for $4.99 which i will be able to flip for $15 this xmas.

Monster Fighter The Zombies.

Teen girls are different than thirtysomething women...who have more spending money too :)

Actually now this is making me wonder...who IS paying $80+ dollars for 3187 these days?

Anyone who invested in these friends sets in the uk has made a wrong move (unless the got them over 50% off), you can still get them easily wth good discounts too, including Olivia house for under 50 quid, even the older sets like the bakery and pet vet thing is still around.

• Like 1