Friends - general discussion

JimBean4

Fan of Friends  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of the Friends theme?

• Yes, but only to invest in.
    • Yes, I like to collect them.
    • Yes, I collect and invest.
    • No, I'm not.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the proud Mama of two girls, I am unoffended by pink bricks.

I have a tomboy who dresses in black and gray and watches football with me. I have a princess who wears pink and peach and bakes with me.

Both write, both draw, the princess is a better dog trainer and the tomboy is better at verbalizing her feelings. The princess is the better driver, the tomboy cries (a lot) when her favorite characters die in books and movies.

My two year old nephew loves dancing, trains, and taking apart anything remotely mechanical. My frilly ballet dancing sister in law loves to get out a sledge hammer and do the demolition on her newest home improvement project herself.

People are individuals. If Lego has found a market catering to people who like the Friends' line, good for them. The alternative is to ignore who people actually are instead of what this group or that group thinks they should be, and to me that's the actual sexism.

• Like 3

As the proud Mama of two girls, I am unoffended by pink bricks.

I have a tomboy who dresses in black and gray and watches football with me. I have a princess who wears pink and peach and bakes with me.

Both write, both draw, the princess is a better dog trainer and the tomboy is better at verbalizing her feelings. The princess is the better driver, the tomboy cries (a lot) when her favorite characters die in books and movies.

My two year old nephew loves dancing, trains, and taking apart anything remotely mechanical. My frilly ballet dancing sister in law loves to get out a sledge hammer and do the demolition on her newest home improvement project herself.

People are individuals. If Lego has found a market catering to people who like the Friends' line, good for them. The alternative is to ignore who people actually are instead of what this group or that group thinks they should be, and to me that's the actual sexism.

I agree you are so right!

Lego's selection of themes and sets is the same thing as with any other form in our culture. If you don't like one thing then don't buy/watch/read/drink/eat/drive it and move on. It really is just as simple as that but of course people enjoy the pastime of complaining to ever let something sit still or slip by. Honestly, some of these conversations sound like this guy.

bp_1390291943__quick_meme.jpg

Anyway, Lego did take their sweet time designing the Friends theme by talking with an unknown number of mothers and daughters so they did not just pull some numbers out from 'where the sun don't shine' for statistics and ideas to consider. While I personally may not care for the minidolls as I would a minifigure, I understand I am far from the intended audience and can see their delightful charm. Besides they have sort of grown on me after a while now to where I can actually use the word "cute". :wub:

This is why I get tired of reading distasteful comments towards the Friends line. The responses sound as though these persons think Lego is strictly saying that girls should only play with Friends sets when the truth is Lego is simply offering the theme as a choice. An alternative from the battlescapes of Star Wars, Chima, Castle, Lord of the Rings, Ninjago, etcetera, and then there is the busy rustle of City. For myself, I find the Friends sets to give off a more relaxed sense of feeling compared to everything else with the exception of Creator. I may be a man but I love these builds because of their cuteness and choice of colors. To heck with the occasional weird glances at the checkout as I stand there with a Sunshine Ranch, Heartlake Cafe, and Mia's Lemonade Stand. I shall continue on purchasing every single one of these to build to my heart's content.
  • Like 2

So I have come across 3 Heartlake Stables (3189) sets at Walmart in the last couple weeks and picked them up at full price ($49.97).  I know it's done, but with the new Sunshine Ranch and HL Horse Show do you see the Stables going up enough to make it worth the investment at this price?  I was contemplating returning them if the prospects don't look good enough to make a decent return by the end of 2014. 

On old topic but it seems like a good idea to have a place for talking about what you think can be or would like to see in the future for the Friends line. Lego has already done what could be considered the typical stuff in the beginning followed by the beach (which is still trending a bit currently) and now our girls are venturing out into the jungle. I wonder where they can go to from here? Regardless, I love collecting all the different storefronts they keep coming out with and hope more keep coming.

So I have come across 3 Heartlake Stables (3189) sets at Walmart in the last couple weeks and picked them up at full price ($49.97). I know it's done, but with the new Sunshine Ranch and HL Horse Show do you see the Stables going up enough to make it worth the investment at this price? I was contemplating returning them if the prospects don't look good enough to make a decent return by the end of 2014.

Personally I think HL Stables is a much better horse themed set than the two that you mention. That and the Summer Riding Camp I feel are going to have longer lasting power. Not sure you'll see great returns on HL Stables by the end of the year though. It's something to hang on to for longer than that.

I never understood the idea behind pole dancing or how that is supposed to be sexy.  :P  Requiring dexterity and stamina, yes, but sexy ????? :blink:

Like anything, it can be if done right. ;) The one bit that does nothing for me is all this 'twerking' or whatever they want to call it. It looks like the girl's rear is having a spastic attack. Ah dang it, I try to have a decent discussion about Friends sets and it all goes awry yet again with stripper poles and....stuff.
  • Like 1