Friends - general discussion

JimBean4

Fan of Friends  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of the Friends theme?

• Yes, but only to invest in.
    • Yes, I like to collect them.
    • Yes, I collect and invest.
    • No, I'm not.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen summer picnic at one of the TRU down here, and the ice cream stand a the new target that opened up in my city. i didnt buy either as they don't seem to be too popular!

IMO, the Mia's summer picnic poly blows (partly because Mia falls over if you try to get her to hold the croissant). Actually just kidding, both polys are nice solid builds. You could always pair the picnic up with that Adventure Camper.

I wouldn't discount them, especially the ice cream cart. I think that one has future potential. For one, it was a S&**** exclusive at one point (back in August?). Not all collectors know that they have also snuck into other retail stores, right?

Secondly, that ice cream cart has a striped awning. IMO, anything with a striped awning is a winner. Maybe it's a female thing. It's quaint. It pretties any storefront up! Anyway, I've decided I'm going to try to gather up more LF City Park Cafes just for this reason. (And someone is going to bring up Green Grocer right??)

IMO, the Mia's summer picnic poly blows (partly because Mia falls over if you try to get her to hold the croissant). Actually just kidding, both polys are nice solid builds. You could always pair the picnic up with that Adventure Camper.

I wouldn't discount them, especially the ice cream cart. I think that one has future potential. For one, it was a S&**** exclusive at one point (back in August?). Not all collectors know that they have also snuck into other retail stores, right?

Secondly, that ice cream cart has a striped awning. IMO, anything with a striped awning is a winner. Maybe it's a female thing. It's quaint. It pretties any storefront up! Anyway, I've decided I'm going to try to gather up more LF City Park Cafes just for this reason. (And someone is going to bring up Green Grocer right??)

The ice cream cart started off as a target holiday item. It then became a s&**** exclusive and now is back at target and appears to be at walmart.

Bah, my walmart doesn't carry polybags or lego minifigs. Damn crappy walmart!

Mine typically doesn't either. Only just this last year do they carry the Minifigures (barely) and they usually are stuck in the clearance aisle (even though they are not actually on sale). Polybags is a real crap shoot but every now & again, something awesome comes up (30059 :whistle:).

I wouldn't discount them, especially the ice cream cart. I think that one has future potential. For one, it was a S&H exclusive at one point (back in August?). Not all collectors know that they have also snuck into other retail stores, right?

Green Grocer. :P The Ice Cream Stand is nice; my only worry would be it has been very widely available throughout this year alone between showing up at Target thrice, Walmart twice, Shop-at-Home once, and in a Friends Heartlake City Collection book compilation as a 'bonus' build.

Here is the best link I could find. I tried before because I knew someone was going to ask ;) but not even Walmart (the retailer I found it in store at) has the item listed. It basically has two paperbacks and a sticker book together in one hardcover sleeve with the polybag part of the sleeve on the inside.

9781409333135.jpg

Thanks for posting. I've never seen it before.

Here is the best link I could find. I tried before because I knew someone was going to ask ;) but not even Walmart (the retailer I found it in store at) has the item listed. It basically has two paperbacks and a sticker book together in one hardcover sleeve with the polybag part of the sleeve on the inside.

9781409333135.jpg

Ah, I was thinking of one of those book sets with a bunch of lego peices.

Thanks for posting. I've never seen it before.

You're welcome. I came across it mainly because I love collecting the DK books. Well, the exclusive minifigures anyway.

Ah, I was thinking of one of those book sets with a bunch of lego peices.

The Brickmaster ones? Nope, not this time. Just a couple books for the kids to read and some stickers to put on everything. :frantics: There was a City one months back with a real unique Fire Helicopter polybag where this compilation was the only way it even came stateside.

Lego-City-Essential-Book-Collection-Boxe

I cant really see girls paying 5-10x premium for girly legos to be honest ... how many parents are going to buy their kids friends girly legos for 5-10x premium?

girls are known to splurge big too. Like designer bags, shoes etc. the urge to collect is not just a guy thing, but applies to all human beings.
  • Like 1

Can anybody tell me about heartland stables? Just saw one set at B&******, not a perfect box, slightly worn...but with 30% off would it be worth picking up? is it retiring soon? do you think it will it be restocked after xmas?

(might have to change my policy of not investing in friends having seen the pink section disappear in every store this winter I am feeling more convinced)

If I was investing in friends I'd put a lot of concentration into the cafe', juice bar and possibly the bakery. I have sold lots of vintage 80's snack bars, hamburger stands and the ice cream seller, piece for piece they beat any space, town or castle set. The paradiso cafe although a later and much larger set also does well from that theme.

Can anybody tell me about heartland stables? Just saw one set at B&N, not a perfect box, slightly worn...but with 30% off would it be worth picking up? is it retiring soon? do you think it will it be restocked after xmas?

I don't see that or the rest of the 2012 Friends sets returning in stock for next year. At this point, it's all the remainders. I really have not seen decent discounts at all for that set so 30% off sounds good to me. I wouldn't worry about box condition long as it is holding together.

Anything with 4 digits model number are going to be gone most likely from the big box unless they expand the shelf space.  There are still Olivia's House from the 4 digit model number wave available at Walmart and Amazon.  It seem like this set is overlook because of the crowding out effect from the Dolphin Cruiser and the horse sets.  Better snag those up quick before they are gone.  

• Like 1

Of all the lego themes in my local TRU and other toys shops post Christmas, only the friends series are totally cleared of all 4 digit sets. I still see some 2012 sets in ninjago, hero factory, city, technic etc. but not a single friends 2012 set, although the shelves still have a few less popular 2013 friends sets. It's amazing how fast friends sets are sold. And this is in spite of lego ramping up the friends production earlier this year.

Demand >> supply = investment winner?

Guest betsy805

passed by two full cases of series 1 friends animals at 3.99 each.  To buy or not to buy?!  They're cute, but I can't see turning more than $1 or $2 profit on them.

Canadian Target Shoppers (US prices approx.)

Heartlake Stables - 29.50

Treehouse - 11.25

City Park Cafe - 17.50

Stephanie Bakery - 3.90

Emma Karate Class - 5.90

Newborn Foal - 5.90

Mia Magic -5.90

all half price and a ridiculously good deal for investing.

Plus the Stephanie Soccer practice but I believe that to be a 2013 model.

Good hunting.

• 3 weeks later...

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1206293

My thoughts on this is who cares if LEGO wants to partake in gender based marketing? The article quoted someone as saying "what if my girl likes superheroes"? OK and?????? Nothing is stopping lil Mary or her parents from buying her a superhero set it any other set for that matter. Thoughts?

I remember when Friends first came out and there was the debate about how it was sexist and why would Lego do such a thing.  The answer is Lego does it to broaden it's demographic and to make enormous piles of money. 

As to my views on the folks that bring up issues like this, it would be best for me to leave my keyboard alone on that one.