Friends - general discussion

JimBean4

Fan of Friends  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of the Friends theme?

• Yes, but only to invest in.
    • Yes, I like to collect them.
    • Yes, I collect and invest.
    • No, I'm not.

Is it just me, or do the Friends LEGO very rarely go on sale?  I collect all the themes, but if I am in a store I rarely see these discounted.  I have grabbed lots of Walmart sales and zero friends sets.  Any thoughts on this??

A handful have been discounted online but in store is very different. Online at the moment the smalls have been a couple dollars off (Andrea's Bedroom, Olivia's Beach Buggy) while some of the medium sets have been $5-$10 off (Pet Salon, Heartlake High, City Pool). In store I have only seen Pet Salon at Walmart and now Target for $24.99, Heartlake City Pool around $32 I think, and Downtown Bakery also for $24.99.

You could also focus on store exclusive sets, such as Emma's Horse Trailer, which is/was only available through Target.

My Target still has a few of that set. I am almost tempted to get another for myself.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TabbyBoy

One of my fraternity brother works for Hasbro and their side work is to brainstorm a toys that can counterpunch Lego Friends.  There is not a girl toy out there that you can build and then roleplay that is in the same echelon as Lego Friends.  The Friends line is the hot toy among girls at the moment.  I would not be surprised the beauty shop will one of the most sought after set years from now.

My dad used to work for Mattel and BanDai and they tried for years to knock Lego of it's perch and failed miserably.  Even though Mattel is the Goliath of the toy World, their Mega Bloks don't worry Lego in the slightest.

Yes, the Beauty Shop is a good set and I think the Pet Salon and Vet are good too.  We all know that girls love cute, cuddly pets. ;-)

What about dolphin Cruiser?  Seems like a nice, unique set. Will it be a big winner in a couple years?

I think so, ships normally do well... also I don't think there will be another friends ship set. It kinda just fills a one time set situation? I'd say buy a few but wait until next year or a huge discount. It will be around for awhile either way. 

I think so, ships normally do well... also I don't think there will be another friends ship set. It kinda just fills a one time set situation? I'd say buy a few but wait until next year or a huge discount. It will be around for awhile either way. 

I don't know what it is about cruise ships, but it seems like a lot of girl brands have produced a cruise ship lately. Besides Lego Friends, there's Mega Bloks Barbie, and Mega Bloks Hello Kitty cruise ships. Barbie the doll and her sisters have a cruise ship. Minnie Mouse has one, as does Polly Pocket. Seriously! There's something going on in the girl world zeitgeist! And most of them have slides too. Is everyone copying the Dolphin Cruiser? It's made me wonder. I'm just waiting for Sofia the First to get a boat, given the movie premiering this weekend that features all the characters on...a ship.

We need more sets to retire! (I'm looking at you, Summer Riding Camp)

I actually sold my first two Friends sets - the old Butterfly Beauty Shop (that I urged people to buy when it was still hanging around several months ago).  I scored them for 24.95 + tax (13%) in Canada and sold them for $80 each.  Not too shabby!

I'm also concerned that the new Friends sets will seemingly be in competition with the Disney Princess line...so I haven't invested in anything from the new wave.

We need more sets to retire! (I'm looking at you, Summer Riding Camp)

I actually sold my first two Friends sets - the old Butterfly Beauty Shop (that I urged people to buy when it was still hanging around several months ago). I scored them for 24.95 + tax (13%) in Canada and sold them for $80 each. Not too shabby!

I'm also concerned that the new Friends sets will seemingly be in competition with the Disney Princess line...so I haven't invested in anything from the new wave.

Congrats on the BBS's. It's been my white whale. I finally scored some on ebay at a price I could live with. (Not for $80 tho!). Now the Heartlake Pet Show is my white whale.

I'm curious to see how the new Disney princess line does. I'm not convinced they're all going to be runaway successes. The Lego Friends line needs to step up its game though for 2015. More big sets IMO. The 2014 lineup is rather weak. Too many small size sets. Many of which are rather derivative of existing sets. The only one I'm impressed by is that juice bar shop. I was really hoping for a lighthouse or something as there was reference to some pirate treasure in a Friends mag over the summer.

I purchased the Heartlake stables kit from ToysRus over the Thanksgiving weekend online with local in store pick up (they would not ship). It was $38, which I prepaid. The ones on the shelf were marked at $60 when I picked it up. The had a few of the vet set but the camper was sold out. 

Guest TabbyBoy

In the UK, it appears that Friends is one of the strongest themes this year. Just look at Dolphin Cruiser prices. I ignored pink/purple boxes at first but, now I have dozens of them. Snoozers are losers.

I just have to point out that every Friends set over $9.99 is gone from my Toys R Us.  The whole section is decimated.

I thought that too at my TRU, but whenever I go back early in the morning, they're restocked up. There were Summer Riding Camps and Heartlake High's on the shelves today. No Dolphin Cruisers though. Heard the funniest conversation between two grandmothers in that aisle today. One was holding the Summer Riding Camp (woefully overpriced at $130+) and got confused about the security wire that went around the box. Then when they were poking around the other Friends sets, she kept saying "Magic show?". It's like she kept picking up the same box and making the same comment over and over again. "Magic show?" (minute goes by) "Magic show?" It's one of those conversations that I wish I had secretly recorded on my phone.

ebay is overloaded with friends sets. I was doing nice with my first few Heartlake Vet listings but sales have stalled, too many low price auctions. Same thing with the Cruiser. Hoping they dry up closer to xmas. 

Maybe hold on to those Vet sets for now and break them out after retirement? They're already scarce, out of stock online, and an old set from 2012! Flip Dolphin Cruisers and Heartlake High schools for now, which are the newest sets advertised everywhere and on kids' wishlists.

Ditto at mine. Actually it has been all week - at least, all the DC/SRC/HH were cleared out when I first went in on Monday for the BOGO, and then today when I checked back in EVERYTHING was cleared out.

All I know is, I look at my portfolio of Friends sets and I see: I have at least one of every regular set and all but the rarest poly bags. Although most of these sets are still widely available at retailers, the theme is already an investment winner. The two medium-sized sets that have retired (BBS and Dog Show) both have astronomical growth charts for the first 6ish months. There are some losers in this theme (as there are in all themes) but Lego has a real winner in this line which means if you're shorting it because pink's not your color, I'm cool with that - just means less competition for me!

These sets are really well designed and have tons of cool pieces, too. My boys (other than the 12yo who is at the age where anything to do with girls is gross) love the theme as much or more than my daughter. I can't see this line being an investment loser especially after watching the craziness around DC this season.

• Like 3