Friends - general discussion

JimBean4

Fan of Friends  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of the Friends theme?

• Yes, but only to invest in.
    • Yes, I like to collect them.
    • Yes, I collect and invest.
    • No, I'm not.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd start a discussion on the appreciation of retired Friends sets...especially since I've yet to see any Friends sets DEpreciate!

As a Friends collector and investor, I've been keeping an eye on 3187 Butterfly Beauty Shop (MSRP $24.99), which has by far been the most profitable Friends set post-retirement. When I started keeping tabs on it 6 months ago, it had already doubled in value. And now more recently it has reached thrice its value on eBay. (And in the rare, ridiculous instance, way more than thrice its value! I can't believe anyone would pay so much...)

Anyway, I'd been meaning to purchase a 3187 for myself to complete my collection (as I got into Friends after 3187 had already retired), and I finally bit the bullet and purchased one recently (at double MSRP) before the price went up further. This particular one I'm going to open up and build. Now I'm wondering if I should purchase a couple more at the current price and keep them NIB, as NIB ones are going to become rarer. Has anyone found success with this strategy?

I have never bought anything when it has been retired.  I always buy before so.  I collect Friends also for investment and I knew the Beauty shop would be a big one because, well, it is a beauty shop and girls just love that sort of thing.  I know a lot of people buy after they are retired but it is not for me.  Save your money and buy other Friends stuff, like the house or other old sets that are about to retire.  

I have never bought anything when it has been retired.  I always buy before so.  I collect Friends also for investment and I knew the Beauty shop would be a big one because, well, it is a beauty shop and girls just love that sort of thing.  I know a lot of people buy after they are retired but it is not for me.  Save your money and buy other Friends stuff, like the house or other old sets that are about to retire.  

Good advice!

Except for the part about not buying your first copy after it has retired.  If you are a collector, you need to have one!

I personally can't see the set going up too much more because there is so much other Friends stuff out.  You would be buying in the hope that some collector or investor in the future wants it and finds you to buy it from.  Non-collectors will just go for the other sets.

One of my fraternity brother works for Hasbro and their side work is to brainstorm a toys that can counterpunch Lego Friends.  There is not a girl toy out there that you can build and then roleplay that is in the same echelon as Lego Friends.  The Friends line is the hot toy among girls at the moment.  I would not be surprised the beauty shop will one of the most sought after set years from now.

One of my fraternity brother works for Hasbro and their side work is to brainstorm a toys that can counterpunch Lego Friends.  There is not a girl toy out there that you can build and then roleplay that is in the same echelon as Lego Friends.  The Friends line is the hot toy among girls at the moment.  I would not be surprised the beauty shop will one of the most sought after set years from now.

Ooh, that's really good info!  Fits with what I had observed too.

Any news on whether they are trying to take on Chima somehow?  I could do with a clue as to how well that's doing. :)

Ooh, that's really good info!  Fits with what I had observed too.

Any news on whether they are trying to take on Chima somehow?  I could do with a clue as to how well that's doing. :)

We didn't go specifically into Chima and talked about quality, branding, and licensing.  What is unique with Chima and Ninjajo is they control the brand and license vertically (toy, merchandise, and entertainment).  The risk with TLG is much greater since it's feast or famine with that strategy.  Whereas at Iron Man, Star Wars and many other toys they have what they call split licensing where they have a license for each segment of toy.

I know kids are extremely educating when it comes to toys.  If you hear and see enough, you should have a pretty good idea how it will do.  Kids 4-8 can't stop talking and looking at Friends and Chima when I'm at a toy stores/section.  The preteen were telling me about the 41999 when I was checking out technic sets.  The thought in my head was, I'll have plenty of future customers when they grow up.

One of my fraternity brother works for Hasbro and their side work is to brainstorm a toys that can counterpunch Lego Friends.  There is not a girl toy out there that you can build and then roleplay that is in the same echelon as Lego Friends.  The Friends line is the hot toy among girls at the moment.

I've been seeing so many copycats out there it isn't funny. Well, it is funny seeing how hard they are trying to replicate Friends. All I can say to them is "Good luck". :devil:

I would not be surprised the beauty shop will one of the most sought after set years from now.

The more I look at that set, the more convinced I am of thinking the same thing (and I already was).

The thought in my head was, I'll have plenty of future customers when they grow up.

Bingo. ^_^

Yeah Amazon has had Olivia's House around $60.00 for a long time. They still have a lot in stock so you have a long time to get it. Just don't want to tie up money on sets that they have plenty of. All Friends vehicles do well especially cars so I would say load up on those if you can. The only thing is its a grind to sell a bunch of little sets but to increase your positive feed back and make a couple bucks is cool. Even the polybags are doing good. I like those cause they are so easy to ship. Can't go wrong for $1.69 shipping and gets to your customers within 2-3 days within US. Boats and Planes will also do well within the Friends Line.

Guest TabbyBoy

I've recently loaded up on Emma's Karate Class at 50% off and Heartlake Pet Salon at 33% off.  Once the Dolphin Cruiser gets 33% off our more, I'll get them by the boat load - pun intended.  I watch Amazon like a hawk these days.

Good point Cele...but Amazon has a Boatload of these Dolphin Cruiser. I saw it last week on Amazon for $55.00 for like 2 days then it went back up. Did anyone else see this? They had a bunch of Friends line sets for real good discounts but now it's creeping back up to the price they usually sell for.

Wasn't this in response to Target's sale?

Nice pic, CelesAurivern. :thumbsup:

I still think Dolphin Cruiser will do well even though it hasn't quite flown off shelves around me as each retailer (Kmart, Walmart, and Target) have a handful each. I don't think I've seen it sold out once yet although I expect different by Christmas.

Good point Cele...but Amazon has a Boatload of these Dolphin Cruiser. I saw it last week on Amazon for $55.00 for like 2 days then it went back up. Did anyone else see this? They had a bunch of Friends line sets for real good discounts but now it's creeping back up to the price they usually sell for.

Wasn't this in response to Target's sale?

I would think so.

I just missed a stack of Emma's sportscar that was on clearance at Walmart for $11 then dropped to $3. I saw the change on the app but all the sets disappeared before I got there. Now they have the stage at $12 considered getting a couple but decided to chance it dropping further.

There's a walmart app that tells you when a certain store changes their pricing??? 

You must be missing them.  I've found plenty of discounted and clearanced Friends stuff in Ohio.

Maybe he lives near you and gets there after you!

You can always get them on sale when TRU does BOGO 50%.  Yoyo had them 20% off.  Target had them 20% just the other week. B&****** sends out 20% off coupons all the time--add that to a membership and you're getting 28% off. Shopko has them BOGO 50% starting tomorrow---there are regular sales on these.  You just have to watch.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very sure Olivia's House is going away seeing how much every retailer has or is discounting it, and I believe the other two should be gone soon. City Park Cafe has been on sale around the $28 mark for a good while now and I don't see Heartlake Stables being around after this coming Christmas. Sorry I have nothing definite; just going with my gut here.