Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

Arrggh! Lesson learned. If they do something to my account I'm gonna have to contact them then.

The screens were very misleading. When I create a FBA listing, it leads me to creating new shipment without a choice to use an existing one. As a result I had a bunch of shipments of 1 small item each.

It's not the most intuitive interface, but it gets the easier the more that you use it.

Just be sure to reconcile your inventory periodically.  I reconciled everything last night and found a ton of items that were lost or damaged and had not been reimbursed.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Some good news:

A-Z claims will no longer affect a seller's metrics if Amazon rules in their favor or customer withdraws claim 

actually there is a catch. even if you won A-Z and then customer return the item you are obligated to refund.

since, you did a refund that A-Z counts against you

Edited by newbie77

What's up with Amazon and multiple listings for the same item? Looking at 41039 Friends Sunshine Ranch, it has 2 listings:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GV2FQ32 - Sells for ~$90, but has no price on landing page (only "available from these sellers) and ~115 sellers

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Friends-Sunshine-Ranch-41039/dp/B00F3B35N0 - Sells for ~105, with a Buy Box, and 130 sellers.

Any advice on the better listing strategy? Go with the high priced buy-box one?

1 minute ago, Phil B said:

What's up with Amazon and multiple listings for the same item? Looking at 41039 Friends Sunshine Ranch, it has 2 listings:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GV2FQ32 - Sells for ~$90, but has no price on landing page (only "available from these sellers) and ~115 sellers

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Friends-Sunshine-Ranch-41039/dp/B00F3B35N0 - Sells for ~105, with a Buy Box, and 130 sellers.

I go with better rank ( som exceptions apply ) 

7 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Those are sets from different regions that have different UPCs.  Best listing strategy is to use the listing for the product that you actually have.  If you're using FBM, you have more flexibility since you won't have someone at Amazon scanning your item.  If you're using FBA, you should always list under the proper UPC or your item may land in stranded inventory.  You can get around that by applying a sticker with the Amazon ASIN, but you're playing with fire by doing that because you're trying to manipulate the listing of your product.  With Lego, chances are no one would ever notice since the differences between sets produced for different regions is so small, but if you got caught, Amazon tends to be pretty unforgiving to people who screw around like that.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redcell said:

Those are sets from different regions that have different UPCs.  Best listing strategy is to use the listing for the product that you actually have.  If you're using FBM, you have more flexibility since you won't have someone at Amazon scanning your item.  If you're using FBA, you should always list under the proper UPC or your item may land in stranded inventory.  You can get around that by applying a sticker with the Amazon ASIN, but you're playing with fire by doing that because you're trying to manipulate the listing of your product.  With Lego, chances are no one would ever notice since the differences between sets produced for different regions is so small, but if you got caught, Amazon tends to be pretty unforgiving to people who screw around like that.   

Ah ... that explains. I'm using FBM so no biggie, but I seem to have taken the right listing anyways by taking the best ranked one. Now why is there no Buy Box on that listing? Should I give Amazon a call on this?

Ah ... that explains. I'm using FBM so no biggie, but I seem to have taken the right listing anyways by taking the best ranked one. Now why is there no Buy Box on that listing? Should I give Amazon a call on this?

Amazon seems to have changed the way they do the buy box on Lego products. Many Lego sets won't show a buy box unless the price is very close to or under MSRP. You can call Amazon, but I went around and around with them back in November when the BB suddenly disappeared from an item I was selling and didn't get anywhere. They basically said that the item was listed correctly and I could lower my price if I wanted the buy box.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, redcell said:

Amazon seems to have changed the way they do the buy box on Lego products. Many Lego sets won't show a buy box unless the price is very close to or under MSRP. You can call Amazon, but I went around and around with them back in November when the BB suddenly disappeared from an item I was selling and didn't get anywhere. They basically said that the item was listed correctly and I could lower my price if I wanted the buy box.

That sounds very plausible ... so the non-US UPC version of 41039 has a buy box because someone entered $217 as the MSRP for that one, and suddenly all the prices look like deals, even though they are $20 higher than the US UPC listing which has no buy box as it is priced $20 over MSRP. I wonder how many customers trip over this one ... :)

• 1 month later...

For Amazon fulfilled by seller order I have a return request stating "too hard for me"

First request was "bought by mistake" cancelled then second request was "missing accessories or pieces" then cancelled and third request is "damaged item shipping box OK",

I am new to Amazon selling and am wondering about restocking fees and return shipping.  Should I be asking whether the 42009 crane was opened for him to figure out it was too hard?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

17 minutes ago, legogregors said:

For Amazon fulfilled by seller order I have a return request stating "too hard for me"

First request was "bought by mistake" cancelled then second request was "missing accessories or pieces" then cancelled and third request is "damaged item shipping box OK",

I am new to Amazon selling and am wondering about restocking fees and return shipping.  Should I be asking whether the 42009 crane was opened for him to figure out it was too hard?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You have to take it back, whether its opened or not.  When you receive it back you can decide whether to issue only a partial refund (that's how you deduct your restocking fee).  There is a bit of a reference here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=901926 and you can charge 20% if unopened or 50% if opened.  But there are some important things to keep in mind.

1. Any partial refund is more likely to generate negative feedback

2. If the buyer is unhappy with the refund, they may open an A to Z claim.  That is a major ding whether they side in your favor or not.

3. If you issue a partial refund, you do not get any fee credit back from Amazon.

So use your judgment and weigh the options before you issue the refund.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DadsAFOL said:

You have to take it back, whether its opened or not.  When you receive it back you can decide whether to issue only a partial refund (that's how you deduct your restocking fee).  There is a bit of a reference here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=901926 and you can charge 20% if unopened or 50% if opened.  But there are some important things to keep in mind.

2. If the buyer is unhappy with the refund, they may open an A to Z claim.  That is a major ding whether they side in your favor or not.

3. If you issue a partial refund, you do not get any fee credit back from Amazon.

4. you will be charged 5% transaction fee (by amazon) up-to $5,00 { whether you process full/partial refund }

26 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

4. you will be charged 5% transaction fee (by amazon) up-to $5,00 { whether you process full/partial refund }

Is this up to $5.00 or $5,000? 

It sounds like I should contact the buyer and ask them to carefully return the set in whatever condition it is in.  

Does not the return shipping factor into the fee credit from Amazon?  I don't want to risk full fee credit over $10 shipping.

if it is opened I would be tempted to give the 50%.

Should I explain this 50% to the buyer in case it is opened and they decide to keep it?  Thanks!

52 minutes ago, legogregors said:

Is this up to $5.00 or $5,000? 

It sounds like I should contact the buyer and ask them to carefully return the set in whatever condition it is in.  

Does not the return shipping factor into the fee credit from Amazon?  I don't want to risk full fee credit over $10 shipping.

if it is opened I would be tempted to give the 50%.

Should I explain this 50% to the buyer in case it is opened and they decide to keep it?  Thanks!

Communication is always good, especially if it ends up in a dispute that you want Amazon to settle by looking at the history.  But in my experience, you have about a 3% chance of the buyer acknowledging your message or replying.  If it was me, I would let them know I'd be happy to issue a full refund if the item is returned unopened.  Since they changed their mind, its reasonable that they will have to pay for return shipping. 

• Like 2

I read somewhere that they will no longer ding you if you win an A to Z. But I'm not sure where I saw that.

6 hours ago, DadsAFOL said:

Communication is always good, especially if it ends up in a dispute that you want Amazon to settle by looking at the history.  But in my experience, you have about a 3% chance of the buyer acknowledging your message or replying.  If it was me, I would let them know I'd be happy to issue a full refund if the item is returned unopened.  Since they changed their mind, its reasonable that they will have to pay for return shipping. 

Thanks for the great advice.  I contacted the buyer and explained that the item could be returned unopened or it would be subject to a restocking fee of up to 50%.  If there is no response in 24 hours, should I authorize the return knowing that I have sent this message as documentation?  Happy Easter!