Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

7 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

Is it possible to cancel a shipping label for a fulfilled by merchant order?  I already had the item packed up and ready to go last night and just got a return/cancellation request before I dropped it off at the Post Office.  I want to make sure I can get the postage money back if I authorize the return and refund the buyer.

yes you can cancel it. i believe its about 45-60 days before you get the $. but they do come back. 

if you do ship and "return" then its a lot of hassle and you don't know what the buyer is going to do. 

if i were you, i would just cancel the order. refund the buyer. yes once the shipping information is updated its going to hit you in two places

i. ODR 

ii. shipping metrics as well. 

personally i would rather not sell than have the issue :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

Is it possible to cancel a shipping label for a fulfilled by merchant order?  I already had the item packed up and ready to go last night and just got a return/cancellation request before I dropped it off at the Post Office.  I want to make sure I can get the postage money back if I authorize the return and refund the buyer.

there should be a button in there that you can request a refund of the shipping label takes 30 days or some such time but it comes back

then of course you may get a ding for it not arriving on time in metrics but I have not had an issue yet

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

When I try to issue a refund to the buyer it isn't very clear about the net refund out of my pocket.  I don't get stuck paying the seller fees do I?  

amazon refunds sellers fee for any refund you process.

full refund = 100% refund

partial refund = some complicated math. but you will definitely get the sellers fee back on the refunded amount but be subjected to additional fees.

6 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

Sorry I'm confused by that.  If I do a full refund to the buyer, I will be out the original seller fees or I will get them back eventually?

what i mean is : full refund = full seller fee back 

when you do a full refund to buyer. as soon as the refund is processed you should see that AMAZON giving your 15% back.

it should be automatic. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

Thanks for clarifying!

one more thing. not sure if this applies to all the amazon selling plans. i should have said that in the beginning.

if you are on that $1.00 per item additional referral fee plan. not sure if you get that back though.

Edited by newbie77

24 minutes ago, Average Guy said:

From what I have read here, there are a lot more hoops to jump through on Amazon. I have read that the selling prices are much higher on Amazon than Ebay.  I've never tried selling on Amazon. Is it worth the hassle? Which website produces a bigger percentage of your annual profit?

When I started four years ago I was like 90% eBay, 10% Amazon. Now it's probably 95% Amazon, most of that FBA. It's a different hassle, but not necessarily more of one. Right now there are 30-60 orders a day going out for which I can charge more, have lower fulfillment costs and was able to pack and ship in bulk. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Average Guy said:

From what I have read here, there are a lot more hoops to jump through on Amazon. I have read that the selling prices are much higher on Amazon than Ebay.  I've never tried selling on Amazon. Is it worth the hassle? Which website produces a bigger percentage of your annual profit?

Although selling prices may be higher, the fees associated with Amazon are much higher as well.  When all is said and done, I pay around 20%-21% of my gross sales in fees to sell on Amazon (this includes shipping, storage, subscription, referral, and fulfillment fees paid directly to Amazon).  However, 99.9% of my sales are generated through Amazon's platform because it allows me to operate at a scale that I could never have achieved through Ebay.  The only problem with Amazon these days is that it is getting incredibly crowded with sellers.

• Like 2

Need a little advice here. I just shipped an order yesterday two day shipping. Buyer requested a return already because of a better price found elsewhere. I'm already comfortable telling him he has to pay to ship it back, however the $30 shipping charge is a little different. Amazon says you can choose not to refund it, I'm thinking maybe I tell them "usually it's not refundable, but I'll refund half" or should I just bite the bullet? Just frustrating.

5 minutes ago, Dbroncoboy said:

Need a little advice here. I just shipped an order yesterday two day shipping. Buyer requested a return already because of a better price found elsewhere. I'm already comfortable telling him he has to pay to ship it back, however the $30 shipping charge is a little different. Amazon says you can choose not to refund it, I'm thinking maybe I tell them "usually it's not refundable, but I'll refund half" or should I just bite the bullet? Just frustrating.

Can you match the price ? 

You really don't have to refund for a customer's change of mind especially two day shipping . any concession on your behalf would be generous . 

Yeah I started with the the partial refund suggestion to match saying it would work best for him.

I imagine they can open an A-Z claim if I don't refund the shipping though?

As primarily an FBA guy, I give the merchant fulfilled sellers props. Not an easy sport.

5 minutes ago, Dbroncoboy said:

Yeah I started with the the partial refund suggestion to match saying it would work best for him.

I imagine they can open an A-Z claim if I don't refund the shipping though?

As primarily an FBA guy, I give the merchant fulfilled sellers props. Not an easy sport.

I would emagine that FBM is more suited for folks who are doing this full time or close to . It is def more work dealing with customers . I have only done one FBM order in my entire history of selling on Amazon. 

I've had a few "Shipping Services Adjustments" from UPS show up for the first time this year. Is anyone else that ships FBM via UPS seeing these?

It's very weird, as a I use standard-sized boxes (with the size printed on them!) and the dimensional shipping weight shows up as almost double the actual weight, typically. It's only a buck or two, but very annoying.

Next year, I may skip UPS altogether.

Edit: Looking at the amazon seller forums, this does appear to be happening more often. The most insightful comment was this: "there are dimensional machines throughout the shipping process - on conveyor belts, truck loading locations, etc. If your package goes past one of these automatic machines alongside a larger package, you could get hit".

And, it appears I should be 'happy' that my adjustments have been small. Some people are complaining of $10 or $20 adjustments.

Edited by SpaceFan9

2 hours ago, SpaceFan9 said:

I've had a few "Shipping Services Adjustments" from UPS show up for the first time this year. Is anyone else that ships FBM via UPS seeing these?

UPS and FedEx both switched to dimensional weight-only earlier this year. I know of no LEGO products with a lower dimensional weight than shipping weight, since you basically have to be shipping ACTUAL bricks instead of little plastic ones to achieve that sort of density. Just pray USPS doesn't follow suit or FBM fulfillment costs will spike dramatically.

6 hours ago, Bold-Arrow said:

I would emagine that FBM is more suited for folks who are doing this full time or close to . It is def more work dealing with customers . I have only done one FBM order in my entire history of selling on Amazon. 

I am 99% FBA, but sometimes the last week before Christmas I will do some FBM. 

As far as the return, he wasn't interested in me matching the price, I just authorized it and was fully transparent that the refund amount would be the price of the order minus shipping charges. We shall see. 

Does anyone know the exact date I can start selling in toys on Amazon again? The official guidelines just say "through the first week of January" which is extremely vague and has multiple interpretations.

Re JW poly :

my lisitng was shut down and i opened a case , recieved this : 

"After investigating the problem, I have confirmed that our Product Review team is currently in the process of reviewing this product, since we have received some complaints from buyer that receive different items from what they order.

Therefore, we are manually checking your inventory in hand, as well as the inventory from other sellers in order to avoid these problems in the future. This can take up to seven days."