Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

4 hours ago, legogregors said:

Thanks for the great advice.  I contacted the buyer and explained that the item could be returned unopened or it would be subject to a restocking fee of up to 50%.  If there is no response in 24 hours, should I authorize the return knowing that I have sent this message as documentation?  Happy Easter!

If they buyer fails to respond, you should definitely go ahead and authorize the return.  Unfortunately Amazon allows buyers to return anything for any reason within 30 days of them receiving their purchase.  They have already expressed they want to return b/c the set is to difficult for them.  You authorizing the return should not be dependent upon whether or not you hear back from the buyer.  Most buyers do not respond back to messages.

Authorize the return and explain that once you receive the item back, they will either be 1) refunded in full if returned in brand new, sealed condition minus the shipping costs both ways since they are returning due to no fault of yours or 2) refunded minus up to a 50% restocking fee if returned in opened, used condition minus shipping costs both ways since they are returning due to no fault of yours.

If you do not authorize the return, later the buyer could file an A-to-Z claim with Amazon.  Amazon would then more than likely refund the buyer and allow them to keep the set since you did not authorize the return as you are required to per their policy.  Make them return the set if they want a refund.  They may even decide to not return the set since they are subject to paying the shipping and a restocking fee if they opened the set.  If they return it back open/used, you are allowed to keep up to 50% as a restocking fee and they must pay for return shipping while you also deduct the original shipping fee if they paid shipping.

***Also note, earlier this year Amazon changed their A-to-Z policy.  If the seller wins the claim and the buyer is denied, it no longer counts against your metrics.***

• Like 3

On 2/21/2016 at 0:09 PM, exciter1 said:

Thanks very much for the detailed response.  I have contacted the buyer as recommended and explained the up to 50% restocking fee for an opened return.  This seems like my only chance at communication so far.  When I "Authorize Request", I am just asked to confirm my return information.  Is that all there is to it for now? 

28 minutes ago, legogregors said:

Thanks very much for the detailed response.  I have contacted the buyer as recommended and explained the up to 50% restocking fee for an opened return.  This seems like my only chance at communication so far.  When I "Authorize Request", I am just asked to confirm my return information.  Is that all there is to it for now? 

28 minutes ago, legogregors said:

Yes, you confirm your return address and in the "Your Return Instructions" box enter the verbiage regarding the restocking fee and shipping charges so there is no surprise if they return the set back in any condition other than new/sealed.  That's all there is to it.  Then sit back and wait to see if the buyer returns the set.  You will then refund the appropriate amount based upon the condition of the set when you receive it back.

• Like 1

Thanks again, I did not see any option to enter "Your Return Instructions" so I just contacted the buyer again before Authorizing the Return.  Maybe this is because on the third time the buyer selected "damaged item but shipping box OK" This was after "Bought by Mistake" and then "Missing Parts or Accessories".  Hopefully this does not hurt my case or force a full refund...

You'll still be good-to-go since you emailed the info to the buyer. The important thing is that you authorized the return so now the burden is on them to return it in the same condition you sent it to them or they face a restocking fee.

This is what my last return authorization looked like showing the box for me to enter specific instructions for the buyer so there was no misunderstanding as to what would be refunded since they were returning due to a mistake on their end:

56f592351f1e3_ImageUploadedByBrickpicker

• Like 1

I am noticing a huge increase in item-not-received claims on merchant-fulfilled Amazon items. To the point that I pretty much assume they're attempted fraud now. Seriously, is every customer taking a "it says delivered but I have not received it" free shot now?

Ok, not all of them, but the percentage is in double digits and the first number is not a 1.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, after selling on Amazon for more than 1 year, I received a "A-Z" claim from a buyer (maybe you are reading).

Recently, I sold a 10937 set, which was listed as "new in factory sealed box". I received the return request from the buyer who stated "the box has dents on the top going towards the bottom of the front and it has one on the bottom of the front the shipping box is not damaged and the item's bubble wrap is good.i want a good item. thks". I certainly know what the buyer was referring to. It was the shelf wear.

I replied, explaining that the listing did not specify the box in mint condition; however, the buyer wanted to interpret "new in factory sealed box" as "mint box condition. I am fine to accept the return if he does not like the condition of the box but would like him to provide some pictures of the "damages" on the box before I authorized the request. Then, there was no more response from the buyer. I therefore asked amazon seller service what to do with this condition since I did not receive reply and I did not want to close the request. Amazon seller service replied to have me wait a bit longer until the buyer sent me the pictures.

After a week, still no reply from the buyer; instead, I received an "A-Z claim" from the buyer. I have replied to the A-Z claim and just what is this buyer up to and why the buyer refuses to take pictures of the box. I believe this probably happens to many of you. What would you do?

We have lots of new Lego investors everyday. We have been talking about the box condition probably would not affect the value of the sets as long as they are the winners. I was kind of like that at the beginning but I gradually accept Lego set with normal self wear condition. What is more important? Do you build the set with the box? or do you build the set with the brick pieces inside the box?

General tip :

That's not how Amazon works. Costumer asks for a return u have to authorize it within 30 days for delivery and then refund upon receipt . You evaluate and asses the item upon return and can apply a restocking fee . 

Once you authorize return ( and provide pre paid label if applicable ) you have gone a long way in protecting yourself against an A-Z claim 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tyclin said:

Finally, after selling on Amazon for more than 1 year, I received a "A-Z" claim from a buyer (maybe you are reading).

Recently, I sold a 10937 set, which was listed as "new in factory sealed box". I received the return request from the buyer who stated "the box has dents on the top going towards the bottom of the front and it has one on the bottom of the front the shipping box is not damaged and the item's bubble wrap is good.i want a good item. thks". I certainly know what the buyer was referring to. It was the shelf wear.

I replied, explaining that the listing did not specify the box in mint condition; however, the buyer wanted to interpret "new in factory sealed box" as "mint box condition. I am fine to accept the return if he does not like the condition of the box but would like him to provide some pictures of the "damages" on the box before I authorized the request. Then, there was no more response from the buyer. I therefore asked amazon seller service what to do with this condition since I did not receive reply and I did not want to close the request. Amazon seller service replied to have me wait a bit longer until the buyer sent me the pictures.

After a week, still no reply from the buyer; instead, I received an "A-Z claim" from the buyer. I have replied to the A-Z claim and just what is this buyer up to and why the buyer refuses to take pictures of the box. I believe this probably happens to many of you. What would you do?

We have lots of new Lego investors everyday. We have been talking about the box condition probably would not affect the value of the sets as long as they are the winners. I was kind of like that at the beginning but I gradually accept Lego set with normal self wear condition. What is more important? Do you build the set with the box? or do you build the set with the brick pieces inside the box?

no one said box condition does not matter. i have been always mentioning that box condition matter. if its not 10/10 then its not mint. all other box type with shelf wear are mostly 7-8 at the very best.

when you don't specify expectation is "whatever they want to be". to be honest even when you list "buyer claim what they want" but as a seller you have to protect yourself.

there are some members in this forum who have been "preaching" that box condition does not effect the value of set longer term. i am not one of those.

box condition matter. as a seller one has to protect one self while listing.

as a buyer i tend to buy items 10%-20% cheaper for items with bad/damaged box. which means that whether item is available readily or retired it does effect value.

more you get into this selling business; more you realize that box condition matters for high value items. no one will be shelling out $1000 for box with shipping label slapped on the box!  TRUST ME when i SAY BOX CONDITION MATTERS. especially if you are targeting those $1000+ items

with amazon, when buyer wants to return. YOU ACCEPT and AUTHORIZE return. other things are afterwards. ;)

Edited by newbie77

3 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

General tip :

That's not how Amazon works. Costumer asks for a return u have to authorize it within 30 days for delivery and then refund upon receipt . You evaluate and asses the item upon return and can apply a restocking fee . 

Once you authorize return ( and provide pre paid label if applicable ) you have gone a long way in protecting yourself against an A-Z claim 

i would not necessarily agree on the last part "you have gone a long way in protecting yourself against an A-Z claim " .

i have had A-Z "decision against" me for items with "signature delivery" when "customer has signed for the item" and "has accepted that they signed" . so A-Z is more like a russian roullette. no one knows what the outcome will be. :D 

2 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

i would not necessarily agree on the last part "you have gone a long way in protecting yourself against an A-Z claim " .

i have had A-Z "decision against" me for items with "signature delivery" when "customer has signed for the item" and "has accepted that they signed" . so A-Z is more like a russian roullette. no one knows what the outcome will be. :D 

In cases where a customer asks for a return a seller will have the upper hand if they just authorize the return and don't get into a back and forth discussion with the buyer . While def not bullet proof , it does fulfil the sellers obligations until the item is returned in a A-Z claim. If seller keeps arguing -  no aiming this at OP- without authorizing the return , said seller can kiss his money and the item goodbye . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bold-Arrow said:

In cases where a customer asks for a return a seller will have the upper hand if they just authorize the return and don't get into a back and forth discussion with the buyer . While def not bullet proof , it does fulfil the sellers obligations until the item is returned in a A-Z claim. If seller keeps arguing -  no aiming this at OP- without authorizing the return , said seller can kiss his money and the item goodbye . 

yes you are absolutely correct.

no point in arguing. if buyer want to return seller just have to accept it as part of doing business. 

its going to be hard for seller to accept if they are just starting out and especially its hard when they are exclusives and expensive items. but its what it is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bold-Arrow said:

General tip :

yes if you sell on a marketplace you have to follow the rules .On ebay you are allowed to specify you do not accept returns but on amazon you are required to accept returns within 30 days. To require a buyer to jump through hoops by sending you pictures before authorizing a return is a recipe for a a-z claim. 

1 hour ago, river41 said:

On ebay you are allowed to specify you do not accept returns but on amazon you are required to accept returns within 30 days.

Keep in mind, while you do not have to accept returns on Ebay, the buyer can still file a "significantly not as described" claim.  You will pretty much lose this no matter what.  Even if you state "no returns"  Ebay will still side with the buyer.  IMO, it is always in your best interest to have returns allowed on Ebay as it nets more sales, and ultimately, you will have to take a return on any item with a SNAD case anyway.  There is no such thing as "no returns."  Even an item sold "as-is" is at risk because they could claim something random about how it's not the same model or item, it's not how it was in the photo, etc. 

4 hours ago, newbie77 said:

no point in arguing. if buyer want to return seller just have to accept it as part of doing business. 

its going to be hard for seller to accept if they are just starting out and especially its hard when they are exclusives and expensive items. but its what it is. 

This is some of the BEST advice I have ever seen on this forum.  Ultimately, part of having a business is CUSTOMER SERVICE.  This seems to be a concept that is difficult to grasp for new seller's and investors.   While arguing with a buyer can in rare cases accomplish something, 98% of the time it will only anger the buyer, and make your life more difficult in the long run.  When a buyer asks for a return, just suck it up, authorize it, and deal with the fall out later.  Anything less, will just cause more issues from my experiences. 

If you aren't willing to provide decent customer service and accept a return here or there then this game isn't for you and you should get out now, as it is only going to get harder.

11 hours ago, tyclin said:

When selling less than perfect sets on Amazon it is always a good idea to consider using the collectible condition instead of new. Amazon internal policy is any damage greater than the size of a credit card and that item cannot be sold as new. I follow the same protocol. Any creases, dents etc that are longer than the length of a credit card I sell as collectible for Lego sets. This allows you to add a good description of any flaws and pics if you wish and that description will be read by any buyers. If you list as new your description does not appear if you have the buy box so it just becomes a numbers game until you run into that special type of buyer. I price those damaged sets $5 less than the "new" price and they always sell very quickly if it is a halfway decent ranking item (less than 100k in the toys category). Most lego buyers on Amazon are builders or buying as a gift for a builder so they do not care about box condition and are happy to pocket $5. Box queens who return often on Amazon will get permabanned quite quickly so generally you do not need to worry about them like you do on ebay.

Too bad Amazon doesn't even follow their own rules. I have received so many sets from them in garbage condition. Do as I say not as I do I guess

Marx that is their protocol when receiving goods. After that any amount of damage can occur in the warehouse, during transportation between warehouses, and finally in shipping to you. If you are a mint box collector Amazon is not the platform to be purchasing on. Likewise if you are a seller sending mint boxes to Amazon to sell FBA they will not be mint for long unless you double box, which at that point you may as well self fulfill or sell on ebay.

Surprised it took this long, but I now have my first shitty experience. Sold an item with shefl wear (clearly described). So, shipped it and was received weeks ago. Yesterday I get a request for a return due to a "damaged item". I thought ok, he is just a pratt that didn't read the description that plainly listed the box condition and is a box queen. I wasn't going to argue, authorised the return and had Amazon send him the label.

Today I ended up with three messages from him complaining that Amazon is making him pay for the label. I thought that is odd... until I read one of his messages saying that his mail service received it damaged and it is my fault and I have to pay for the label back.

He used a mail forwarder to bypass my restrictions. I don't sell through Amazon internationally and he had used a forwarding service to receive it in Korea. He sent me pictures - shelfwear =/= a HOLE in the box . That was not on the box I sent him, looks like his forwarder did a shitty job packing it and sending it and they are blaming me.

I proactively sent a message to Amazon telling them that while I authorised the return no questions asked, he bypassed my and their terms on mail forwarding and want me to take on the cost of taking it back from Korea. At this point it has become a matter of principle. I know I am going to at best receive back a  damaged box but I'd rather make my case than sit and be taken advantage of like this.

ORLY???

12 minutes ago, Battrax said:

Surprised it took this long, but I now have my first shitty experience. Sold an item with shefl wear (clearly described). So, shipped it and was received weeks ago. Yesterday I get a request for a return due to a "damaged item". I thought ok, he is just a pratt that didn't read the description that plainly listed the box condition and is a box queen. I wasn't going to argue, authorised the return and had Amazon send him the label.

Today I ended up with three messages from him complaining that Amazon is making him pay for the label. I thought that is odd... until I read one of his messages saying that his mail service received it damaged and it is my fault and I have to pay for the label back.

He used a mail forwarder to bypass my restrictions. I don't sell through Amazon internationally and he had used a forwarding service to receive it in Korea. He sent me pictures - shelfwear =/= a HOLE in the box . That was not on the box I sent him, looks like his forwarder did a shitty job packing it and sending it and they are blaming me.

I proactively sent a message to Amazon telling them that while I authorised the return no questions asked, he bypassed my and their terms on mail forwarding and want me to take on the cost of taking it back from Korea. At this point it has become a matter of principle. I know I am going to at best receive back a  damaged box but I'd rather make my case than sit and be taken advantage of like this.

ORLY???

What did Amazon say?

2 minutes ago, Battrax said:

Still waiting... we'll see. I couldn't find a seller-specific phone number anyway so I had to use their seller support email form.

You will be covered. Here is Amazon policy on freight forwarders:

About Freight Forwarders and Hand Carry

Using a freight forwarder to ship or hand-carrying items internationally may result in complications not covered by Amazon.

If a freight forwarder or hand-carrying is used, the following terms will apply:

• Amazon won't be responsible for damage, defect, material difference, or loss that occurs to goods after they're delivered to you or a freight forwarder. This means that Amazon isn't able to provide a replacement of, or refund for, any such goods delivered to you or a freight forwarder. You should refuse goods that arrive damaged and instruct freight forwarders to do the same, and goods lost after being received by you or the freight forwarder will be your responsibility.
  • If you (or a freight forwarder you so designate) have a U.S. address, purchase goods from Amazon.com to be shipped to a U.S. location, and then subsequently export the goods, you or the designated freight forwarder are considered the exporter and are solely responsible for compliance with all export and import regulations, including all U.S. export regulations and the import regulations of the destination country. Amazon must not be listed on any export documentation (e.g., export declarations, invoices, packing lists, air waybills, etc.). It is your responsibility to ensure the freight forwarder's most up-to-date U.S. address is used.
  • If you (or a freight forwarder you so designate) do not have a U.S. residence and purchase goods from Amazon.com to be shipped to a U.S. location, you or the designated freight forwarder may not subsequently export the goods without prior written authorization from Amazon.
  • Products that cannot be exported directly from Amazon.com, which you export yourself or through a freight forwarder may not be returned directly to Amazon. Visit Search for Items Eligible for International Shipping to find items that can be exported directly from Amazon.com.

Products offered for export directly from Amazon.com, which you export yourself or through a freight forwarder may be returned to Amazon, provided that you are responsible for acting as the importer of record and all the costs associated with returning the goods to Amazon. Amazon will not serve as the importer of record on returns that were originally exported by you or a freight forwarder. You may locate Amazon's return address by using the Online Returns Center and viewing the Return Mailing Label.

Note: International return labels will not be issued for items sent through a freight forwarder or hand carry. The Return Mailing Label is for U.S. domestic shipments only. In order to use an Amazon pre-paid Return Mailing Label, you must first return the eligible goods to a U.S. address. Then, use the Return Mailing Label to return the goods to the Amazon fulfillment center listed on the Return Mailing Label from that U.S. address. In addition, you become the exporter and importer of record of the shipment; title and risk of loss transfer to Amazon upon receipt of the goods at Amazon's fulfillment 

• Like 1

there seems to be a pattern. { i refrained from posting this before because it may sound like profiling } but now i am going to.

A) 90% of order issues are with certain name origins.

B) remaining 9% of order issues are with buyers from NJ and TX

so these days whenever i get orders from A. and B. i try to make sure i protect myself in every-way i can.  that may mean canceling orders { yes. sorry for posting this blatantly i have pre-fulfill cancel. yes it does hit the metrics but i have enough orders going out that i can take the hit and still survive }

long story short, i do understand that problem may occur but the pattern is very very hard to not-notice.