10232 - Palace Cinema

StarCityBrickCompany

11 minutes ago, The Rookie said:

Hello all, I'm pretty new to collecting/investing.  I'm partial to the Star Wars theme, but as I read through the forums, started building interest in the modular buildings.  I was curious to ask, a seller is offering PC and DO for $200 (so $100 per set).  Would you folks pull the trigger at that price point?  I've seen some BPers noting that they wont buy for less than 50% off when investing, but is that a rule of thumb for most?  I'm leaning towards buying the sets, but wanted to get some 'professional' opinions first...  Thanks!

The 50% rule usuallly applies to playsets and not D2C Exclusives (sets like modulars that have limited distribution).

We have seen lines where 50% off still isn´t enough to clear a profit after several years of holding and other  playsets that have given great returns when bought at RRP or above so really this rule is more for risk aversion and has to be applied with a degree of flexibility.

The issue with modulars is that they are now go-to sets for new investors and the market is saturated and will be for some time to come. In this case, the cheaper they can be bought, the easier it will be down the line to move them on if appreciation is not as good as expected.

beware of too good deals, there is usualy a catch or trap.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 2

Hello all, I'm pretty new to collecting/investing.  I'm partial to the Star Wars theme, but as I read through the forums, started building interest in the modular buildings.  I was curious to ask, a seller is offering PC and DO for $200 (so $100 per set).  Would you folks pull the trigger at that price point?  I've seen some BPers noting that they wont buy for less than 50% off when investing, but is that a rule of thumb for most?  I'm leaning towards buying the sets, but wanted to get some 'professional' opinions first...  Thanks!

Not bad price for both if you ask me.. Especially if you're planning to keep them as a part of your collection. Even as an investment, it does seem like a nice chance since modular exclusives are not being discounted that often..

And, you can always check bricklink / ebay (sold items) prices in your area/country for a particular set to make sure you're making a right decision...

@simon74 and @bricklues, thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I went ahead and pulled the trigger.  I'm now a first time owner of modular sets :).  PC actually looks really good... now the dillemma... "to build, or not to build" ... The boxes are in real good shape with seals intact.  @stephen_rockefeller and @Val-E is there anything specific I should be looking out for when purchasing from CL?  If the boxes are intact and the seals appear untampered with, is it safe to assume that the product is good or are there other things to look out for?  Interesting deals on CL do pop up from time to time, but if there are scams to be wary of and experienced BPers stay away from CL because of that, I may reconsider and just wait for the Walmart/Barnes & Nobles/Target clearance sales I've been reading about in these forums...???

• Like 1

@simon74 and@bricklues, thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I went ahead and pulled the trigger.  I'm now a first time owner of modular sets :).  PC actually looks really good... now the dillemma... "to build, or not to build" ... The boxes are in real good shape with seals intact.  @stephen_rockefeller and@Val-E is there anything specific I should be looking out for when purchasing from CL?  If the boxes are intact and the seals appear untampered with, is it safe to assume that the product is good or are there other things to look out for?  Interesting deals on CL do pop up from time to time, but if there are scams to be wary of and experienced BPers stay away from CL because of that, I may reconsider and just wait for the Walmart/Barnes & Nobles/Target clearance sales I've been reading about in these forums...???

You should weigh them...

• Like 2

Newbie to newbie :-) let's put it this way: I have a new sealed in box Town Hall in sight from a "CL like site" at good price. I am afraid about scam artists. I would meet the seller, inspect the box, pay and in front of the seller carefully open two seals and check the contents. Then I will decide if I want to build or keep for reselling. If I will resell I feel I will have no problem to list the box as used with sealed bags. That is just me and all other forum members might have a different opinion.

12 hours ago, The Rookie said:

@simon74 and @bricklues, thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I went ahead and pulled the trigger.  I'm now a first time owner of modular sets :).  PC actually looks really good... now the dillemma... "to build, or not to build" ... The boxes are in real good shape with seals intact.  @stephen_rockefeller and @Val-E is there anything specific I should be looking out for when purchasing from CL?  If the boxes are intact and the seals appear untampered with, is it safe to assume that the product is good or are there other things to look out for?  Interesting deals on CL do pop up from time to time, but if there are scams to be wary of and experienced BPers stay away from CL because of that, I may reconsider and just wait for the Walmart/Barnes & Nobles/Target clearance sales I've been reading about in these forums...???

Lots of people like to sell stolen goods on CL for "too good to be true" prices. $200 for a sealed DO and PC might just be one of them... I know, someone will buy them if you don't.. just putting it out there that people selling the more expensive LEGO sets at a discount are rarely trying to unload a bad purchase quickly by selling it at a discount.

• Like 2

@gregpj hmmmm, that's what I originally thought when I first purchased MF 75105 for $100 on CL.  The guy offered me another set the next day for $80, and I refused, thinking that the sets were stolen.  But then I read in these forums that Walmart was selling these sets for $65 at some locations (and maybe even $30 at other locations?) and that's when I kicked myself.  Now, how can these sets be stolen from the store?  It's not like a customer can put a PC or MF in their pocket and walk out?  And I would think that retail stores nowadays are sophisticated enough to prevent employees from walking out with big boxes of goods, no?

If you're bold enough, you can steal anything. Most retail employees are instructed NOT to chase thieves out of the store, for their own safety. If the store has a security guard, that individual is allowed to make chase, otherwise it's more or less home free once you clear the doors. Some people are incredibly bold. It wouldn't be too out of the question to load up a shopping cart full of modulars and high end sets, and just roll on out. Never seen that specifically happen, but I work in a retail location and have helplessly watched people steal high value items... it happens. 

34 minutes ago, The Rookie said:

@gregpj hmmmm, that's what I originally thought when I first purchased MF 75105 for $100 on CL.  The guy offered me another set the next day for $80, and I refused, thinking that the sets were stolen.  But then I read in these forums that Walmart was selling these sets for $65 at some locations (and maybe even $30 at other locations?) and that's when I kicked myself.  Now, how can these sets be stolen from the store?  It's not like a customer can put a PC or MF in their pocket and walk out?  And I would think that retail stores nowadays are sophisticated enough to prevent employees from walking out with big boxes of goods, no?

I've read a few stories about shipments of Lego being stolen or delivery vans that had a few boxes looted. Here is one such story from 2015: http://www.geek.com/news/260000-in-stolen-lego-recovered-in-two-u-s-busts-1616250/ and another from 2016: http://www.opb.org/news/article/legos-portland-police-fred-meyer-arrest-stolen/

I've never, ever heard of a set like the PC or DO going for less than $100 (unless maybe someone is really good at stacking coupons, something we don't get to do here in France), let alone $30. Then again, I'm a relative nube, too. Still, if the price is too good to be true, there's probably a very good reason for that. 

3 hours ago, The Rookie said:

With crazy clearance pricing it most certainly can happen... Sometimes people just don't know the value of a set either - kid got it as a gift, never bothered to look up the price (or it has retired so it's not on the shelves at TRU/Walmart for an easy check). In those cases, I find it "the other items they have for sale" usually aren't LEGO and are often used items. Folks selling expensive sets for cheap as a one-off are much more suspicious to me... but there are always exceptions. Maybe the guy really did find a good clearance price, flip for a few bucks, rinse-repeat.

But the reality is that it can be stolen goods... you just never know and not like a thief is going to say. And yes, they really do just walk out of the store with big items. I knew a guy (with a friend) who 20 years ago just walked out of a Walmart with a Canoe. He was a dumbass but I remember him telling the story in the hockey changing room... (those are like Vegas - what's said in the changing room stays in the changing room).

I was just mentioning it as a possibility since you asked.

I bet some boxes "fall off the truck" from time to time when retailers ship them around.

The only time I ever got near 50% on an exclusive legitimately was a damaged box with 30% off + 15% discount on Lego.

Edited by c_rpg

37 minutes ago, Brian Briggs said:

Getting LEGO exclusives for low prices is a possibility. Sometimes retailers sell exclusives for ridiculous discounts, like German retailer Galeria did by mistake last November (36% off RRP).

Yup. Still thanking them for that 89€ Palace Cinema, 62€ Destiny Bounty and 37€ FO TIE :-)

• 1 month later...