10232 - Palace Cinema

StarCityBrickCompany

3 hours ago, Mhd747 said:

I've never built a modular before as always been more interested in technic / star wars, but I really like the look of palace cinema. Might pick one up on UK double VIP

Be careful, you just might be starting a dangerous and costly habit. It only started with an innocent cinema but then came the Pet Shop, the Green Grocer and the Grand Emporium and the cold sweats at night thinking maybe there won´t be a new modular coming in January.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Be careful, you just might be starting a dangerous and costly habit. It only started with an innocent cinema but then came the Pet Shop, the Green Grocer and the Grand Emporium and the cold sweats at night thinking maybe there won´t be a new modular coming in January.

They should be banned from doing any new Modulars until they retire some of the others.

The stores are out of shelf room.... yes.... that's a good excuse. :D

Edited by CNH1974
  • Like 1

If you are going to start collecting them, you should be happy they don´t retire so many now! After all, how many people only have one modular on display?

*slowly raises hand*

I only have GE on display.

I only started building them with FB. I've built FB, GE, PS, and TH. GE is my favorite so far. TH is my second favorite. I finished building it last week and I'm tearing it down for resell now.

My goal is to build everything else but beyond the GE and PC I don't expect to keep any others for myself.

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

*slowly raises hand*

I only have GE on display.

I only started building them with FB. I've built FB, GE, PS, and TH. GE is my favorite so far. TH is my second favorite. I finished building it last week and I'm tearing it down for resell now.

My goal is to build everything else but beyond the GE and PC I don't expect to keep any others for myself.

The point is you built more and you would like to build more in the future - that would seem like a habit to me. Anyone  else who only has 1 modular and is quite happy with that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

The point is you built more and you would like to build more in the future - that would seem like a habit to me. Anyone  else who only has 1 modular and is quite happy with that?

I have so far only built Parisian Restaurant, and have it on permanent display in my Lego collection. I think PR is the best combination of outer looks, inner design and enjoyable building experience. Though the latter is the most subjective because I don't have experience with building any other Modular so I don't have any comparison. :) 

In my long-term Modular stash I do have a PS, a PC, another PR, and a DO. If they don't reach a good price to sell (many) years from now, I can still decide to actually build them. But until then they will sit nicely stored away.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fossilrock said:

If it's both, i'd expect two retirements at the very least, with Pet Shop and Palace being those two.  If the Hospital isn't true, i'd expect only pet shop to retire.  

What we said last year too and look how that turned out! Astrid´s curse has not affected PC after all.

Exactly, one in and zero out so our predictions were useless. The below list agrees with you, though!

I think that maybe they compensated for early retirement of TH an PS was given an extra year. This year only PS will go and next year will be PC´s turn. Maybe I am being too structured in my wishful thinking, though.

Exit_date.jpg

Edited by Val-E

I think that article about trying to slow down business is really part of their plan.  The new death star, rehashed star wars sets, leaving modulars skip a retirement - all show some signs that they are trying to do a minor undermining of the reseller business which at times must overwhelm their production capacity.  I've seen it happen too many times over the last few years to realize it has to have an effect.  Just look at all the people that sacked the sandcrawlers when it was temporarily sold out for a minor period of a few days.  I bet many many thousands, if not 10,000+ were sold in just a couple days around the globe.  Things like that have to create bottlenecks.  So, undermining and upsetting the reseller market so they don't buy as much the next year and keeping business sales a little more natural, if that market is slowed seems like a solid concept.  

• Like 2

I agree. Perhaps they will also review the 6 month returns policy. If SC stays another year, more than a few people will send theirs back.

They also use the retiring soon tag to move stuff they have too much stock of or is not selling well.

The Exo Suit fiasco could well have been one of the instigators - another reason to hate that set.

I´ve stopped trusting SAH tags and data as it is even less credible than what in-store employees say.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, ED-209 said:

So with the Pet Shop apparently sailing off into the sunset by the end of they year, it looks like this will be sitting in storage for at least one more year (not to mention how long it'll take to appreciate after EOL- ages at a guess)

I have one Palace Cinema in my collection and I'm not being suckered into buying any more. Recent modulars are a lot of hard work for peanuts these days. As soon as I can break even on my Pet Shops, I'm getting rid! However, I'll probably be stuck with them for another 2 years!