10232 - Palace Cinema

StarCityBrickCompany

On 29 December 2015 at 9:37 PM, Mos_Eisley said:

It's just retired in Ireland or wherever that guy was from. The Irish are no longer allowed to buy this.  

Oh, and horse breeders.  They can't buy any either. 

He heard from a LEGO employee. So it must have been true...

On 29/12/2015 at 9:41 PM, valenciaeric said:

To be fair, a lot of us thought PS would go this year and it isn´t going to happen. Perhasps there will be  a double modular retirement in 2016.

Quite possible that both PS and PC will retire this year. Probably not at the same time, but maybe PS in Q1 and PC in Q3 or Q4.

Interestingly, both PS and PC are priced in The Netherlands the same as the German LEGO Shop at Home prices (€149,99 and €139,99 respectively) while the subsequent Modular buildings: Parisian Restaurant, Detective's Office, and Brick Bank are priced more expensive in NL compared to Germany. So TLG may very well want to get rid of these sets because they do not discriminate The Netherlands yet. :D 

• Like 1

Price was raised in France. Doubt they´d do that if it was going to retire soon, same with the new box.

At soonest, it could go in Q4 2016, but I think we will see it for at least another year unless sales have dropped off in recent times.

Edited by valenciaeric

22 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Price was raised in France. Doubt they´d do that if it was going to retire soon, same with the new box.

At soonest, it could go in Q4 2016, but I think we will see it for at least another year unless sales have dropped off in recent times.

PC price was raised in France? So you mean to say PC was cheaper than €139,99 which is the default price in Germany, Italy and The Netherlands? I can't remember looking at the LEGO Stock Checker here http://www.brickpicker.com/brickwatcher/lego-stock-checker-lego.cfm, and seeing it priced cheaper. All Euro prices are (now) equalised at €139,99 and as far as I remember it was that way already last year. But my memory may not be correct of course. :P 

1 hour ago, valenciaeric said:

Do they really make much sense the price increases though? Camper Van increased for us last year, price has come back down now, don't think there's any rhyme nor reason to it.

As for the differences in price. I sent a mail to LEGO why there's the diff between France and us.

Hartelijk dank voor uw bericht.

Het spijt me te horen dat u niet tevreden bent over de prijsverschillen van LEGO® speelgoed tussen verschillende landen.

We adviseren altijd per land een verkoopprijs voor elk stuk speelgoed en daarbij richten we ons op de plaatselijke markt. Daarom kunnen de prijzen van LEGO sets soms van land tot land verschillen. In Amerika is al het speelgoed goedkoper en zit er geen belasting in de prijs begrepen (deze betaalt men pas aan de kassa), dus als we LEGO sets aan LEGO fans willen verkopen in Amerika, dan moeten we ze concurrerend prijzen.

En LEGO Shop at Home heeft elke veertien dagen nieuwe speciale aanbiedingen, dus *** naar www.LEGOshop.com en klik op 'Sales & Deals'. Daar vindt u de aanbiedingen!

So what they basically saying is that the reason for the price difference between neighbouring EU countries (+10) is that there is a difference with taxes. In the US, no taxes blah blah. Funny that this difference for eg. Dr Who is 10 Euro while the TVA is 0.5% difference. Another thing they say is that they look at the local market and decide how much they will charge. Perhaps because annual income in Belgium and Netherlands is higher than France, we need to pay more? Sounds like discrimination.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2015 at 9:41 PM, valenciaeric said:

To be fair, a lot of us thought PS would go this year and it isn´t going to happen. Perhasps there will be  a double modular retirement in 2016.

Have checked the sales data on the FB for a reference of a popular Modular that has retired for a couple of years now. 

- Sets sold new / month: 20 on average over last 6M

- Price per set average: 300E

- Lowest price point available in Europe: 330E (Italy, Netherlands)

- Stock remaining listed: 395

> Seems like this set will need 16 more months before real appreciation can happen. 

And I've been wondering: how long can your street of modulars become? Do you really need them all? Or will you be content with 6? 

At the rate they bring new modulars out, the interest in the oldest ones could maybe wane?

Just looking for a new angle to this before buying more PS, PC etc

Have checked the sales data on the FB for a reference of a popular Modular that has retired for a couple of years now. 

> Seems like this set will need 16 more months before real appreciation can happen. 

And I've been wondering: how long can your street of modulars become? Do you really need them all? Or will you be content with 6? 

At the rate they bring new modulars out, the interest in the oldest ones could maybe wane?

One more modular building completes a 4x4 city block, if you include the Market Street.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZULU said:

Most streets have 2 sides and then you need a square and an airport and before you know it you have a full town like Jangbricks!

When these new modulars go EOL, many many people will sell up during the first bump between 200 and 250 euros.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZULU said:

Content??! Hahaha you are seriously underestimating the completionist nature of collectors, dear. There is no such thing as not having all.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Finally started building this set from a used lot purchased last Dec.

I was in the process of separating the GE and PC elements (plus that 2014 Winter Tree holiday set). I like to build multi level sets in reverse ; the upper 2 floors were built.

The wife wanted to get dinner so we took the kids out. Dog was placed in the crate with both sliding locks set. Set was built away from reach so I thought. Anyway, we had a canine "prison break" when we returned home. She was waiting in the foyer with a scared demeanor and left "DNA" trail from the door to the table.

Luckily the 65 pound 10 month old "mangy mutt" wasn't hurt but some elements were lost. She actually pulled the front of the crate toward her to escape. The small cables ties will be used on that crate going forward to keep this from happening again (and protect herself from herself).

here is a sample of the damage.

56c871989fcdd_ImageUploadedByBrickpicker

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jaisonline said:

I was in the process of separating the GE and PC elements (plus that 2014 Winter Tree holiday set). I like to build multi level sets in reverse ; the upper 2 floors were built.

The wife wanted to get dinner so we took the kids out. Dog was placed in the crate with both sliding locks set. Set was built away from reach so I thought. Anyway, we had a canine "prison break" when we returned home. She was waiting in the foyer with a scared demeanor and left "DNA" trail from the door to the table.

Luckily the 65 pound 10 month old "mangy mutt" wasn't hurt but some elements were lost. She actually pulled the front of the crate toward her to escape. The small cables ties will be used on that crate going forward to keep this from happening again (and protect herself from herself).

Better luck with Café Corner - that would be one hell of an expensive dog biscuit.

15 hours ago, jaisonline said:

Ouch, I feel you. Our mangy mutt has done the same thing a few times and eaten his fair share of Star wars mini figures.

On 2/20/2016 at 9:02 AM, jaisonline said:

56c871989fcdd_ImageUploadedByBrickpicker

This looks like the plot to the Lego Movie 2

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello all, I'm pretty new to collecting/investing.  I'm partial to the Star Wars theme, but as I read through the forums, started building interest in the modular buildings.  I was curious to ask, a seller is offering PC and DO for $200 (so $100 per set).  Would you folks pull the trigger at that price point?  I've seen some BPers noting that they wont buy for less than 50% off when investing, but is that a rule of thumb for most?  I'm leaning towards buying the sets, but wanted to get some 'professional' opinions first...  Thanks!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Rookie said:

Hello all, I'm pretty new to collecting/investing.  I'm partial to the Star Wars theme, but as I read through the forums, started building interest in the modular buildings.  I was curious to ask, a seller is offering PC and DO for $200 (so $100 per set).  Would you folks pull the trigger at that price point?  I've seen some BPers noting that they wont buy for less than 50% off when investing, but is that a rule of thumb for most?  I'm leaning towards buying the sets, but wanted to get some 'professional' opinions first...  Thanks!

That's a good price for those sets. 50% is not the rule of thumb for most I don't think and if it is then they are missing I out on some good investments.

Thanks for the quick reply Stephen.  I'm actually considering purchasing them for personal build rather than for investment purposes, but I haven't quite gotten past the weird looks thrown my way by the wife and teenage kids when they see me dabbling with bricks... *LOL*