10232 - Palace Cinema

StarCityBrickCompany

Box redesign and all, looks like she ain't done yet.

I remember around four months ago, some fool was posting that a 'high up' LEGO employee was certain that PC was going to be EOL in July... looks like that person would be eating the proverbial humble pie right 'bout now ;)

And that why we should just point and laugh anytime people make these ludicrous claims. 

• Like 2

Sorry, my comment was not implying that I agree with the prediction of July retirement.  I have no clue.  Its just that there is still almost 3 weeks left for this to potentially happen, even though it appears very unlikely.

I recently put together this set and thoroughly enjoyed it.  

• Like 1

Retirement I believe is something even Lego cannot plan. They can plan a last production. Not retirement. Retirement date depends on how quickly or how slowly a product gets scooped up after ceasing production. When Lego is totally out of stock of the product they can declare it retired.

I have no information about if PC will retire soon or production has stopped for this set. Either I do have no information it does not. 

TH also did not reveal imminent retirement at the start. People who thought it would retire cause they maybe had some slight indications were ridiculed. We all know how that evolved.

Let's just wait and see what happens and keep an open mind about every set. No matter their order of appearance or common sense. And certainly do not ridicule people who express their feeling, hunches or other signs. 

• Like 2

Retirement I believe is something even Lego cannot plan. They can plan a last production. Not retirement. Retirement date depends on how quickly or how slowly a product gets scooped up after ceasing production. When Lego is totally out of stock of the product they can declare it retired.

I have no information about if PC will retire soon or production has stopped for this set. Either I do have no information it does not. 

TH also did not reveal imminent retirement at the start. People who thought it would retire cause they maybe had some slight indications were ridiculed. We all know how that evolved.

Let's just wait and see what happens and keep an open mind about every set. No matter their order of appearance or common sense. And certainly do not ridicule people who express their feeling, hunches or other signs. 

You are a smart guy so I'm certain that you didnt take my comment out of context. I was referring to the people who claim to know when a set is retiring. So for all you who want to interpret my post incorrectly......take your butthurt elsewhere.

Didn't we already have this whole box graphic running change discussion over in the Pet Shop thread?

Yes

Someone (not me) made the argument awhile back that Lego didn't like selling $150 modulars alongside two $160 modulars, with the latter apparently being the new standard in modular pricing.  TH stood out for its price as well.  It seems plausible that this could be a motive for early PC retirement.  As for sources... Honestly, even if a high-ranking Lego insider told me that PC would retire shortly, I would hesitate to act on the information.  Lego seems to change its collective mind about retirements with some frequency.  Trying to guess the company's motives and predict its actions can still be a fun mental exercise however.

• Like 1

Someone (not me) made the argument awhile back that Lego didn't like selling $150 modulars alongside two $160 modulars, with the latter apparently being the new standard in modular pricing.  TH stood out for its price as well.  It seems plausible that this could be a motive for early PC retirement.  As for sources... Honestly, even if a high-ranking Lego insider told me that PC would retire shortly, I would hesitate to act on the information.  Lego seems to change its collective mind about retirements with some frequency.  Trying to guess the company's motives and predict its actions can still be a fun mental exercise however.

They could just raise the price if it worries them so much. Wasn´t a problem for them with the Tumbler, here....

• Like 2

They could just raise the price if it worries them so much. Wasn´t a problem for them with the Tumbler, here....

Lego did that with AS, but that's the only time I can remember.  They really don't like to raise prices on existing sets, at least not in dollars.  As for euros, well, there's been something like a 20% drop in the currency's value over the past several months (relative to dollars).  Whether Lego likes to do it or not, they really have to raise prices under those circumstances.

Actually, we now pay approximately the same price for this set as Americans. So that should stop complaints that we have to pay more for our Lego. And the higher value of the dollar just means that Lego's profits from the American market will go up.

Hi There Folks

I'm an AFOL from South Africa and I've been back into things for two years now after having my passion reignited by the Tower of Orthanc. I've taken the decision to take some capital out of a business and invest it in Lego. The market is so slow here that we usually still have good stock in the shops even after retirement. The whole Lego-investment game is just getting going here. The Namibian market is even slower, so much so that I purchased two Town Halls last week at the equivalent of about $175/set :jester:

On the PC note I have something that may be of great interest to you all...our only Lego endorsed franchise of Lego stores removed the PC from their site in the last couple of days. I don't have a single one in my inventory and of all our online retailers there's only one that has a single one in stock :(

Edited by S.African.AFOL
  • Like 2

Hi There Folks

I'm an AFOL from South Africa and I've been back into things for two years now after having my passion reignited by the Tower of Orthanc. I've taken the decision to take some capital out of a business and invest it in Lego. The market is so slow here that we usually still have good stock in the shops even after retirement. The whole Lego-investment game is just getting going here. The Namibian market is even slower, so much so that I purchased two Town Halls last week at the equivalent of about $175/set :jester:

On the PC note I have something that may be of great interest to you all...our only Lego endorsed franchise of Lego stores removed the PC from their site in the last couple of days. I don't have a single one in my inventory and of all our online retailers there's only one that has a single one in stock :(

Welcome, and thanks for the info!

If PC actually retires soon, I'm going to have to take seriously the limit 2 on PR...

Edited by GhostDad

I don't have a single one in my inventory and of all our online retailers there's only one that has a single one in stock :(

Why doesn't this read "I only have a single one in my inventory, and none of our online retailers has one in stock"?

• Like 3