10232 - Palace Cinema

StarCityBrickCompany

Its' one thing if the item is rare…  It's another thing altogether when you go on ebay/amazon and see over 100 for resale on a single site, and other sites with that amount of stock too.  At that point, it's not as rare, and hard to obtain as people let on.  Rare to me is when you go on ebay/amazon and theres one or two that you can buy and they have a high price/ lots of people vying for it.  There definitely is a lot of hyperinflation with the current reseller mentality, so that's why a lot of sets can be slow sellers. The actual demand and aftermarket price does not meet with the speculative reseller hopes and dreams.  Do I think that will be the case with these modular buildings?  Not necessarily.  Demand/sales do seem strong with them, but I also think they have become heavily hoarded to the point that might break their resale value immensely.  Same can be said for many other lines and sets.  I don't think the exclusives are as "blue chip" as some here want others to buy into.  In fact, the exclusives might come with greater risk than other lesser valued sets.

I agree also. 

Great speculation. Trends to be somewhat changing in the AFOL world.

I agree also. 

Great speculation. Trends to be somewhat changing in the AFOL world.

It's a fascinating conversation.  There are a few canaries in the coal mine, so to speak, that folks can keep an eye on to see if some of these worries pan out.  Research Institute and, especially, Exo-Suit were massively hoarded.  The former soared, then plunged, while the latter just stayed in production and went nowhere.  A lot of folks went massively in on Power Armor Lex, which has been awful unless you bought it for less than $10.

Investors don't seem to have crashed the exclusive market yet, which is interesting.  I follow the Magic card market as well (just as a player; not a dealer), and there are interesting parallels.  Lots of web sites purport to teach people how to speculate in Magic cards, as the path to riches.  And it has been so far.  I make hundreds of dollars each year, doing nothing, purely on the price appreciation of cards in my decks.  That must be how people with stacks of SSD's feel.  But I can't imagine getting into Magic now, where to play in the format I do you need at least a couple grand to build a competitive 60 card deck + sideboard, and I can't imagine paying the current $850 going rate for a new SSD.  I watch the price appreciation in both markets with a mix of fear and awe, wondering what percentage of buyers are end users, as opposed to folks who cashed out their 401(k)'s to build retirement portfolios out of plastic bricks.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI. The PC box has been reprinted. It now has the new expert logo on (like the 10248 F40). Not a big deal, but I'm hesitant that this will vanish this year. Maybe next....

ps. I saw this in my local Lego shop in London 

Any chance you could take a picture of this and share? This would be quite the piece of news if true.

• Like 1

He's saying the Expert logo has changed. It used to be a yellow banner on the lower right corner, and the newer logo is 5 lego bricks in the shape of a star.

I'd like to see some photographic proof. 

I know it doesnt prove anything, but it would seem less likely that Lego would retire a set with a box that they just redesigned.

All a redesign really means is they printed new boxes this year.  The new Logo was on DO so its been in circulation since then.  With out knowing more details on how LEGO box orders work, I would not read too much into it.  Simple box redesigns (just the logo changes?like this are less than an hour of a low level designers time.  And Its not like the top brass are going to tell the entire design team what their production schedule is like.  If anyone knows details of their box ordering process that could shed some light on this kind of thing.  Do they order 1000s at a time or just a few hundred?

Will need to check out boxes for some of the other expert sets. There are not that many so should be easy to tell fairly soon if this is a theme wide redesign, or if they are picking and choosing.  

Edited by jay4e

Can't say I've ever heard of this redesign.

If anyone has pics, I'm keen to see em too

didn't take pics (wasn't the right moment) but next time i'm in I will.  As already noted, it is a simple box redesign, but interested to see if the other older modular and Mixer also get updated. 

didn't take pics (wasn't the right moment) but next time i'm in I will.  As already noted, it is a simple box redesign, but interested to see if the other older modular and Mixer also get updated. 

http://www.hamleys.com/lego-creator-expert-palace-cinema-10232.ir

link to product with new box design - nothing major

• Like 3

This is pretty sweet.  All my old-style PC's just became 'rare, limited edition' PC's!

Maybe the new redesign, will be the new "Rare, limited edition" PC's!   Toss a few hundred new box art ones out there,  than boom LEGO stops its production.  Better start hoarding new ones.. lol  

Box redesign and all, looks like she ain't done yet.

I remember around four months ago, some fool was posting that a 'high up' LEGO employee was certain that PC was going to be EOL in July... looks like that person would be eating the proverbial humble pie right 'bout now ;)

• Like 5

I remember around four months ago, some fool was posting that a 'high up' LEGO employee was certain that PC was going to be EOL in July... looks like that person would be eating the proverbial humble pie right 'bout now ;)

Maybe the 'higher up' meant it was the box that was retiring...
  • Like 2

For all wondering about what happened: