10245 - Santa's Workshop

biniou

So please excuse this ignorant question but I'm just not that familiar w/ these Lego Christmas sets.  Is this something that people can hold on to next year and double their money or do an easy flip for a couple bucks?  I had one in my hands earlier today and decided to put it back on the shelf and just stick to the sets that I already know about.  I get that this is Santa's Workshop so it's going to be iconic.  This is just my first holiday as a brickpicker so I'm not really sure how these seasonal sets work.

Edited by LegoSteve

So please excuse this ignorant question but I'm just not that familiar w/ these Lego Christmas sets.  Is this something that people can hold on to next year and double their money or do an easy flip for a couple bucks?  I had one in my hands earlier today and decided to put it back on the shelf and just stick to the sets that I already know about.  I get that this is Santa's Workshop so it's going to be iconic.  This is just my first holiday as a brickpicker so I'm not really sure how these seasonal sets work.

Good questions actually, I`ll give an answer a shot. 

The Winter Village sets have proven to be very popular, and thus excellent investment sets. Previous releases were available direct from Lego through the Christmas season, and more difficult to obtain/not directly available throughout the rest of the year (that`s the case with some, not all of them). My point here is that in this time it was possible to flip the set(s) for a quick profit, but time has also shown that the value of these will increase dramatically more with each passing year. 

Bottom line, these are great sets because Christmas isn`t going anywhere, and eventually they do have to be retired. Means that they are very safe/excellent long term holds, yet they also have the ability to sell at a higher price in the short term as well depending on availability. In the case of Santa`s Workshop, I`d buy literally as many as you can, it`s excellent for the price, and paired with the Workshop set will continue to be very hot items each year. The limit of 1 is clearly allowing a small profit bubble to form over the set as well at the moment, because some buyers understandably want more than 1 (for gifts, themselves, etc.) and that is difficult to do directly. 

• Like 1

Good questions actually, I`ll give an answer a shot. 

The Winter Village sets have proven to be very popular, and thus excellent investment sets. Previous releases were available direct from Lego through the Christmas season, and more difficult to obtain/not directly available throughout the rest of the year (that`s the case with some, not all of them). My point here is that in this time it was possible to flip the set(s) for a quick profit, but time has also shown that the value of these will increase dramatically more with each passing year. 

Bottom line, these are great sets because Christmas isn`t going anywhere, and eventually they do have to be retired. Means that they are very safe/excellent long term holds, yet they also have the ability to sell at a higher price in the short term as well depending on availability. In the case of Santa`s Workshop, I`d buy literally as many as you can, it`s excellent for the price, and paired with the Workshop set will continue to be very hot items each year. The limit of 1 is clearly allowing a small profit bubble to form over the set as well at the moment, because some buyers understandably want more than 1 (for gifts, themselves, etc.) and that is difficult to do directly. 

Thanks for the answer!  Okay I'll start buying them up.  A Lego store is seven minutes from my work so I can start to head there on my lunch breaks.  Man it's going to be hard to pass up the T1 Campers and Tumblers but but a handful of Santa's workshop wont hurt I guess.  I just didn't want to be the guy that didn't ask and then in January look at ebays completed listing section and see that I missed out.

Thanks for the answer!  Okay I'll start buying them up.  A Lego store is seven minutes from my work so I can start to head there on my lunch breaks.  Man it's going to be hard to pass up the T1 Campers and Tumblers but but a handful of Santa's workshop wont hurt I guess.  I just didn't want to be the guy that didn't ask and then in January look at ebays completed listing section and see that I missed out.

I`d add to that, there are still going to be "better/more successful" investments that are out there. If it`s Santa`s Workshop vs Tumbler, I`d buy the Tumbler at this point no question (actually I`d buy both, but if you have to choose....haha). T1 Camper is always going to have a fanbase to maintain it`s popularity, it`s one of the sets that you don`t have to be a Lego enthusiast of any kind to want on display, same for the Mini Cooper/Tumbler/WV sets, and others. Also keep in mind that this set might stay around all year, or Lego might pull in, retire it, or re-release again next year. No way to tell for sure, so that will dampen the long term gains, until EOL that is, then I would expect every set in the theme to keep going up. 

• Like 1

Whilst I agree with @rtisan above, a point to note for non North American investors these sets outside of NA do not do quite as well.

Look at the CAGR figures for 10216, 10222 & 10229.

Having said that I have been buying a few of the new 10245 because it's relatively cheap.

Ok, after looking at the completed listing on ebay of those three sets I'm a believer.  I'll buy two sets a day until they throw me in the slammer.  I'll hold them till Christmas 2016.