10214 - Tower Bridge

M4x18

We need something sticky about box quality. As I have said on my blog, there is nothing to be lost in searching for a good box, but the majority of buyers do not care about the boxes unless they are abysmal.

The product is the LEGO inside the box, not the box itself. While there is only stuff to be gained by making sure you have the best box possible as a seller, it isn't a factor that will cause a huge disparity in price.

Make sure you try to obtain a discount when buying damaged boxes from anywhere and unless your box looks like it was fed to something you will be fine.

I recently purchased Tower Bridge from Lego, the outer box had a hole through it and the TB box is squashed. is it worth phoning Lego for a discount or will they say just to return it to them?. paid full price so wanted it perfect,

S@H typically will just have you send it back rather than offer a partial refund like amazon usually does, doesn't hurt to ask though I guess.

I would contact Amazon and complain and see if you can get a small refund.  Otherwise, just keep the box.  The damage looks minor and won't really make a difference to most buyers.

Usually Amazon.it give only the chance to send back the damaged item to get back one new

it's not normal they give you a partial refund

Usually Amazon.it give only the chance to send back the damaged item to get back one new

it's not normal they give you a partial refund

Amazon reps offer partial refunds to save the company money in the long run (paying for shipping both ways and inventory handling costs). Then if the replacement is also damaged, they lose more money by going through the process again.

I was able to get one for 20% off (10% off for box and 10% coupon) from the Christiana Lego store last weekend. Only prob is the box (two little holes and a few creases). Was def sitting there for years. Anyway, paying $195 with no sales tax was too good to pass up especially since this is my 1st unit. Sometimes the discount is worth it on larger sized sets even on a damaged box.

I was able to get one for 20% off (10% off for box and 10% coupon) from the Christiana Lego store last weekend. Only prob is the box (two little holes and a few creases). Was def sitting there for years. Anyway, paying $195 with no sales tax was too good to pass up especially since this is my 1st unit. Sometimes the discount is worth it on larger sized sets even on a damaged box.

The amount of the discount is usually 100% extra profits when it comes time to sell it.

It has been my personal experience every time I have sold damaged boxes, all have of them have sold for around the normal going rate of the set at time even in MISB condition. In fact, I am finishing up a box condition article as I write this where I show several examples of the past month alone where damaged boxes have sold for the same or even more than the price guide's value and an average of the last 5 MISB listings on eBay. I have no way of knowing if the sellers got a discount for the damage when they originally purchased it, but I am sure at least some did.

It has been my personal experience every time I have sold damaged boxes, all have of them have sold for around the normal going rate of the set at time even in MISB condition. In fact, I am finishing up a box condition article as I write this where I show several examples of the past month alone where damaged boxes have sold for the same or even more than the price guide's value and an average of the last 5 MISB listings on eBay. I have no way of knowing if the sellers got a discount for the damage when they originally purchased it, but I am sure at least some did.

I expect if something has been EOL for a number of years, people are more worried about a box being sealed rather than a few creases. Within reason of course.

• Like 1

Here's the latest Rumor from my Lego Store.
Got Into a conversation with a veteran Lego Store Manager and collector.
He Told me ("I'm not suppose to tell u" :shifty: ) The Tower Bridge will be replaced with another Tower Bridge.

Same concept as the Death Star and the Millennium Falcon.

Is this silly or does he have some good info?

I personally don't see this as a logical business move.  
Why?????
I Thought they replace the Tower Bridge with the Sydney Opera.

Guest ph4tb0i

It was already done. The old tower bridge was 4287 pieces and the new one has 4295 pieces to account for some pieces that were out of production. I still think that they're on the last batch and one it's done it's EOL time. 

It was already done. The old tower bridge was 4287 pieces and the new one has 4295 pieces to account for some pieces that were out of production. I still think that they're on the last batch and one it's done it's EOL time. 

I'm curious as to which one I have now?

Guest ph4tb0i

If your box says 4287 pieces in the front it's the old one. If it's 4295 it's the new one.

I forgot the #s but the UPC also changed for this as well. 

Guest eightbrick

ph4tb0i is correct, other than a small piece change, nothing has really changed with the set. Tower Bridge is thought to be replaced by the new Sydney Opera House later this year.