10214 - Tower Bridge

M4x18

I wasn't bashing your post.  If you thought so, my apologies.  The point I was trying to make was that EOL dates are overrated.  You, yourself, has bought multiples of these sets months or years ago at discounted prices, way ahead of EOL, so that tells me that to an experienced reseller like yourself, the buying price is more important  than the set going EOL.  Your information is more of a warning to people to get on the ball and buy the set now or lose out  and I understand this.  Thanks for your time.

EOL dates can be overrated, especially now that there are limits being placed on how many of each set can be purchased.  If you don't buy early now, then you may not have the amount that you want.  The EOL dates are important to know, simply for understanding the availability of an item.  If an item is retired, all of the big carriers will obviously no longer carry it.

Thanks emazers, I had a hotlink to search all of your posts on here and now it doesn't work anymore :(

LOL...I had/did the same thing. Thats how much I value his insight. He's been doing this for a long time and consistently makes money(although everyone can have a miss). I'm not saying he's the only one but as far as advice starting out I've done much of what he suggests(buy large sets $100+, exclusives etc..). I think there are many strategies. I happen to like emazers of course I tweak it a bit for myself(budget,sales) but a lot of sound advice overall at least for me. 

emazers keep the info, advice, insight coming please.

I blame those movies. If only George Lucas had thought of pastel shades..... :tease:

I did hear that George Lucas actually used a mosque in the trilogy for Jabba's palace, and nobody complained about it.  Lego makes something that appears mosque like, and a group throws a hissy-fit.

i would say even though the fire brigade has been produced for as long as it has been, there will always be a demand for it. the reason being that new collectors will want to add it to their modular collection. with out a doubt, it is an impressive model, and there fore even with the high volume of them on the market, im sure they will still be worth $300 in a year or so after production.

i would say even though the fire brigade has been produced for as long as it has been, there will always be a demand for it. the reason being that new collectors will want to add it to their modular collection. with out a doubt, it is an impressive model, and there fore even with the high volume of them on the market, im sure they will still be worth $300 in a year or so after production.

I agree that demand for this should remain steady...it's an awesome set and who doesn't love fire trucks and firemen.  Doubling in a year after EOL?  That I have my doubts about. 

When the FB does retire, it will have an enlightening CAGR, regardless of the number. Some sellers have been sitting on these for a while now. Some of them will be in a rush to move them as soon as possible. Some will want to wait, see if the first modular retirement in years can stretch its legs. Some will be sentimental about it all and open 2 of them.

Anyway the most important matter is the Fire Brigade will offer us another glimpse into the future of ROI. Everyone is high off profits and dreams of 10212s and 10210s, the market is hungry and it grows every day. How well can it handle a set that was available for four years? It might choke on too much supply, leaving profits to stagnate in a open maw. Brrrr. Or it might just pass it up altogether. There are four other modulars at retail right now, and if FB doesn't soar soon after retirement, collectors might put it off to catch up on those, instead.

Or it could happen like this: the rate of new buyers increases faster than the rate of new listings, until it gets prohibitively expensive, like 4-500 or so, and levels off. How many will be left over, to sell in 7 years? Here's an interesting idea: does it matter how many are still around? Lego is mythical: once a good ROI goes up enough, it doesn't come back down. At least, not yet.

Yes, I just want you guys to start getting ready for the end of some sets that are retiring, and if you keep waiting and waiting for those %30-50% sales on the SSDS and the Tower Bridge and only get one or two, because you waited to the last minute, you will have the blues for a long time, It still haunts me that I sold my 10179 Falcons when they were only selling for $1000, I am not screwing up on the TB,SSDS,Death Stars,HH, Batman Asylum,Etc. And that unconfirmed memo only had those few items on it, I am sure there will be other things Retiring, "Lego don't like when it gets leaked about a new set." But they really hate it when sets retiring gets leaked, one reason is if say the Haunted House was retiring in Dec, If I worked for lego and knew that for sure I would use my 30% discount and go buy say 50 of them, and its 2 months a year they get 50%, Lego does not want all the employees to clean all the stores out, just think about it you could become pretty rich if you new for sure about the retiring dates and you worked at a Lego Store. We got 6 months til the end of the year, save your money so when some sales pop up get the sets. And don't forget about the 7965 Falcon, I haven't really seen a sale for months, they are retiring in Dec. Next time Tru has the BOGO sale and if the price is still $139.99 which is the real actual price, I am getting more, comes out to about $115 a piece, not to bad. Christmas of 2014 these will be $200 and up.Everybody wants a falcon and 99% of people will buy this one. So if I hear anything else i will post it. "The One we really want to no about is the Haunted House"

• Like 2

At 30% I would be buying every Falcon I could afford. That set hasn't been on sale at Amazon u.s. in months, and there won't be many clearance deals because most brick and mortar stores don't stock it anymore.

By the way, is it normal for a Lego set to be available 6 months after stores stop carrying it? Just seems a bit weird that Lego is still making them, now that major retailers like walmart and target aren't ordering them.

Are you still talking about 7965?

It's possible it will go EOL in the US first if the major retailers have stopped stocking it. This sometimes happens, Diagon Alley is an example of that. And I still it has just happened with 853373 chess set. Still available at LEGO Shop at Home US but not UK.

And yet for what it is, it has very solid returns. I sold mine for 3x what I paid for it and even now that looks foolish.

Definitely need to have some of these put aside.

Don't beat yourself up over those returns on the midi scale, that is really good. I don't think those will get much higher in price. A lot of people, myself included think that midi scales are garbage.

I could have bought 3 arkhams for 360 from amazon at that last sale, put them in storage for two years, then made 300 in profit. Or, I could buy 3 helms deeps at clearance for 300, and sell them in january for 240 profit. That's why eol dates are important. If you have the capital to do both, then by all means, please do. I had to choose one or the other. The quicker I make a profit, the sooner I can roll that money into a more expensive, less discounted set. If I buy a tower bridge with my helms deep profits, then i can afford to let it sit for years without worrying about the purchase price eating into my start up capital.

Why not buy both