Ideas #004: 21103 - The Delorean Time Machine

Mos_Eisley

People who didn't buy this for investment were shortsighted This set goes to $80 by Christmas maybe even $100...$125-150 by Christmas 2016. Easy money for those who bought for under $30 ???? I only have about 25 and should have doubled up.

I actually have more of this set than anything else, average price $27. You better be right

People who didn't buy this for investment were shortsighted This set goes to $80 by Christmas maybe even $100...$125-150 by Christmas 2016. Easy money for those who bought for under $30 ???? I only have about 25 and should have doubled up.

there are over 70 sellers before we finish $69.99. some heavy hitters with over 200 in stock in that range..

its going to be hard to see over $80 so soon.... but again i might be wrong..

there are over 70 sellers before we finish $69.99. some heavy hitters with over 200 in stock in that range..

its going to be hard to see over $80 so soon.... but again i might be wrong..

rephrasing.. some heavy hitters with  1000+ deloreans.... its going to be a while before this rises up

I know I would! 

if you are one of those with 1000+ of sets that you are reselling then its typical that you have lot more of those kind of investment. at that point its more about capital allocation; appreciation; ROI and proper use/reuse of it.  i don't think they would be tied/be dwelling to increasing $1 every hour or reducing $1 every other day.

one has a different mindset at that point.

look @ ED1, ED and some others in the forum. there is lot to learn on the mindset and mentality regarding how this game is played.

running @ the last minute and F5 doesn't get you yours 100+ or 1000+ of any sets. neither does increasing $1/every hour or every other day going to increase your ROI or make proper use of capital.

Edited by newbie77

Amazon:

# of sellers: 184 (-4 w/w)

lowest price : $56.24 (+$0.76)

BB: $59.99 (+$1.23)

#468 in Toys & Games

#48 in Toys & Games > Building & Construction Toys > Building Sets

seeing slight uptick in price and reduction in # of sellers.

Amazon:

# of sellers: 177 (-7 w/w)

lowest price: $49.28 (-$6.96)

BB: $64.53 (+$5.54)

#868 in Toys & Games

#88 in Toys & Games > Building & Construction Toys > Building Sets

still moving albeit slower pace than before.

Amazon:

# of sellers: 177 (-7 w/w)

lowest price: $49.28 (-$6.96)

BB: $64.53 (+$5.54)

#868 in Toys & Games

#88 in Toys & Games > Building & Construction Toys > Building Sets

still moving albeit slower pace than before.

Amazon:

# of sellers: 173 (-4 w/w)

lowest price: $60.19 (+$10.91)

BB: $65.00 (+$0.47)

#852 in Toys & Games

#91 in Toys & Games > Building & Construction Toys > Building Sets

lets see how long we gonna get stuck @ $65.00 :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sold 4 of these in the last day (64, 65, 66, 66) on ebay bin free shipping.

Going to wait a week or two for the price to go up some more before selling more.

Luckily I went deep (for me) on these when they were going for 27.99.

My wife thought this was going to be a total stinker which makes its success even sweeter.

This set will make it to $100 by xmas.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 5

Nicely done, yes it will hit likely $100 or very close to this Xmas, probably more, count on it. It`s already over $100 in Canada. Even with the quantity of this set available through it`s life, it`s been sucked pretty dry apparently now. Anyone still have this in their local area? If yes, might want to look at cleaning them all out. 

I confirm you that in Europe, it sells very well on ebay and 80 euros (40 at origins).

It was a good deal at 27 dollars I read... :-)  Never happened here in Belgium :-)

Just have one in my collection... Should be the same for Ghostbusters no? 

They were selling at 33.99 here.

Theoretically Ghostbusters should gain the same or even more appreciation depending on how long this set is still around. Choosing between the 2 looking at construction, minifigs, stand etc, Ecto-1 is the better one by a mile.

Edited by Neosphinx
  • Like 3

Agreed that the Ecto-1 is the better set overall, definitely. In terms of appreciation though, I`m on the fence. They`ll both do well, but which one beats out the other, not sure. The Delorean retailed for $34.99USD, Ecto-1 is $49.99. If Delorean hit $105 (rounding up), that`s the 300% increase. The Ecto-1 would need to hit $150 to match the % of return, but only $120 for the dollar amount. That`s going to happen, it will absolutely, but which hits it quicker, I think the Delorean might have the edge. It`s only been gone what, 6 months, and it`s already pretty close. 1 year post EOL it will hit that mark if it doesn`t do it quicker. Will the Ecto-1 do the same in 6 months - 1 year? I don`t know. 

5 years from now which one will have been the better hold in terms of profit? I would like to think the Ecto-1 will beat the Delorean, but my guess is it will be very close between the two. 

The Ecto-1 will be the sure fire long term winner for the reasons above plus of course a new movie which even if its not showcased...which I don't believe will be the case will draw old and new fans to the original movie for years to come, also there is talk about another all male movie so the franchise will be on fire soon.  I have a good fill but will definitely be getting more of these,   I love BTTF for obvious reasons but no new movie or promotion to push this set compared to Ghostbusters.

They were selling at 33.99 here.

Theoretically Ghostbusters should gain the same or even more appreciation depending on how long this set is still around. Choosing between the 2 looking at construction, minifigs, stand etc, Ecto-1 is the better one by a mile.

I'm not so sure. 

Ecto-1 is hugely popular. (all over the fora)

Delorean got negative ratings by everybody when it came out:

> car was ugly.

> The plate wrong.

> Color too grey,

> etc etc.

And then people underinvested and it doubled. 

On my stats, Ecto-1 is NOT underinvested at all - to the contrary. Even TLG mentioned its HUUUUGE success... on the conf call of annual results (I think)

So if price = f(Supply/Demand) I'm pretty sure it's going to be the another story. 

And it's not EoL yet... So to me it looks like the...

T1 Camper Van!

Everybody loves it. Owns it. And it's still in production. 

Edited by bjiri
  • Like 1

I'm not so sure. 

Ecto-1 is hugely popular. (all over the fora)

Delorean got negative ratings by everybody when it came out:

> car was ugly.

> The plate wrong.

> Color too grey,

> etc etc.

And then people underinvested and it doubled. 

On my stats, Ecto-1 is NOT underinvested at all - to the contrary. Even TLG mentioned its HUUUUGE success... on the conf call of annual results (I think)

So if price = f(Supply/Demand) I'm pretty sure it's going to be the another story. 

And it's not EoL yet... So to me it looks like the...

T1 Camper Van!

Everybody loves it. Owns it. And it's still in production. 

Maybe... is difficult to tell. Not even sure that the price we see now for Delorean is not artificial due to the underinvestment. I  think most decissive will be how the Ecto-1 will disapear and for what outatime stated the movie

I like your different point of view. And yes, the Ecto-1 is a real nice set compare to BTTF.

NEOSPHINX, where did you get the Ecto1 at 33,99 euros in Belgium?

When TLG had issues selling Delorean at LEGO Shop at Home, the sent it to some of retailers to get rid of it. Collishop was one of them and sometimes they do -15% off. It was 31/10/2014 if my brickfolio info is correct.