Ideas #004: 21103 - The Delorean Time Machine

Mos_Eisley

26 minutes ago, CNH1974 said:

I sold A Delorean for £120 this lunchtime

I increased the price to £130.

Sold one just one for £130!

One to go, increasing the price to £140! :devil:

nice.,  BTTF set prices are def souring up but for how much longer at the current pace?  not sure so i'm taking my profit to roll into 2 other sets i've been quietly buying for the last 6 months.

note: That's why I sold mine today (mentioned in the What did you sell today thread)

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/771-what-lego-set-did-you-sell-today-and-for-how-much/?do=findComment&comment=518796

• 3 weeks later...
$149 buy box now...wow. Any some people had no faith in the set just a year ago. I've been selling all the way up and have 10 left and will probably start selling all over the next few weeks. Not sure it goes much higher than this within a reasonable time frame.

Definitely well beyond expectations...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Definitely well beyond expectations...

Which, IMHO, means that expectations for Ecto-1 should be severely tempered.  After watching what happened to the Delorean, everyone and their mother is going to be putting away Ecto-1 in large quantities.

8 minutes ago, exciter1 said: Definitely well beyond expectations...

Which, IMHO, means that expectations for Ecto-1 should be severely tempered.  After watching what happened to the Delorean, everyone and their mother is going to be putting away Ecto-1 in large quantities.

LOL @ "going to be"

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, jdmpartz said:

I love BTTF, but the build is kind of small in my opinion, but the $130 is a nice gift to myself for the holidays.

If you had 1 left, brand new sealed. Build it or sell it?

Ahhh...."the struggle."  I always tell myself, I can always buy it back.  It might cost more, but chances are, I've reinvested those funds a couple times over to make up for the difference.

• Like 2

Man, the struggle is real. I'm dealing with that problem now. I have one left and I'm going to keep it. Some dude hit me up yesterday asking if I had any more left. I don't want to buy it back later for 5x what I paid for it. I guess I can sell it used if I get tired of it, but I know I won't. It's a cool collectible, that's for sure.

21 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Ahhh...."the struggle."  I always tell myself, I can always buy it back.  It might cost more, but chances are, I've reinvested those funds a couple times over to make up for the difference.

20 minutes ago, brickcrazyhouse said:

I would open. but you could sell and buy a used one

13 minutes ago, legodelorean said:

Man, the struggle is real. I'm dealing with that problem now. I have one left and I'm going to keep it. Some dude hit me up yesterday asking if I had any more left. I don't want to buy it back later for 5x what I paid for it. I guess I can sell it used if I get tired of it, but I know I won't. It's a cool collectible, that's for sure.

3 times is a charm.

It will be my Christmas day build. Have my 3 year old help me.

Just needed that little push, thanks guys!

Dude, your name is Legodelorean. How do you not already have one in your collection!?!

• Like 3

On December 9, 2015 at 8:37 PM, jdmpartz said:

I love BTTF, but the build is kind of small in my opinion, but the $130 is a nice gift to myself for the holidays.

If you had 1 left, brand new sealed. Build it or sell it?

When I'm buying sets, if I want one for myself, I immediately put it aside into a different inventory location.  I also mark it differently in my inventory sheet and in my Brickfolio.  That way, I just don't ever think of it as an investment set.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This set has dropped quite a bit over the last few weeks.  It was hovering around 150 at the lowest on amazon over the holidays.  Now it's down to 119.  Seems to be dropping about 5.00 every couple of days over the last week.  I'm starting to think it may take quite some time to come back up to 150 (might have to wait until the holiday sales season again to possibly get that price)... 

I only have a couple left of these, and sold my others around black friday when prices were on the upward trajectory, but I think that moment might have been a rare blip, instead of how things are actually going to go with this set.  I honestly see this one stalling out at 130 to 140 and stay there for a while.

Edited by fossilrock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Somehow this set on amazon has gained 100 new sellers since christmas, and prices have also dropped about 30.00 from the peak.  At one point, it was near 110 sellers, and prices were going for about 150.  Now, it's 222 sellers, and prices down to 119.  What gives.. were there really that many people holding this one?  This is kind of a glimpse of what is to come for the future, I think.  Another sign that maybe reselling lego is hitting a bubble.  I'm noticing this trend with some other sets too.  The prophecies of some of the ones "deemed crazy" a year ago, might be ringing the bell of truth.