Ideas #004: 21103 - The Delorean Time Machine

Mos_Eisley

On 24 October 2015 16:23:35, valenciaeric said:

Beauty has no influence on secondary lego prices, unfortunately.

I think yours is the first post I have read this year mentioning the 41999. Amazing how things can change and how that bubble burst.

41999 seems to be selling for anywhere between £235 & 300. What did it top out at?

now that the delorean seems to be selling for upwards of £110-120 I may be listing mine.

Which I had bought more now.  Famous last words....

59 minutes ago, CNH1974 said:

41999 seems to be selling for anywhere between £235 & 300. What did it top out at?

now that the delorean seems to be selling for upwards of £110-120 I may be listing mine.

Which I had bought more now.  Famous last words....

I think it have potential to reach $150. $200 not too such about, but definitely $150 for sure.

12 minutes ago, Lego_Monsters said:

I think it have potential to reach $150. $200 not too such about, but definitely $150 for sure.

I think it will reach $250 in a few years. I knew it would. But still did not buy more than one. Even when they were on sale for 16 euro each. Stupid me.

I have a few of these, but this is one set I never had an interest in opening.  It just doesn't appeal to me, so I saw this one just as an investment.  But over the last week, it seems to have jumped up 15.00.  I believe a month ago (september) it was in the lower 80 range.  Now it's over 100.  I think 130 to 140 over the next few weeks is a given.  The question I have is HOW and WHY!  It amazes me how a set like this appreciates so well, but other sets that are a lot cooler stagnate.

5 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I have a few of these, but this is one set I never had an interest in opening.  It just doesn't appeal to me, so I saw this one just as an investment.  But over the last week, it seems to have jumped up 15.00.  I believe a month ago (september) it was in the lower 80 range.  Now it's over 100.  I think 130 to 140 over the next few weeks is a given.  The question I have is HOW and WHY!  It amazes me how a set like this appreciates so well, but other sets that are a lot cooler stagnate.

Because it is a "must have". There are only a few sets that are like it.

6 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

BTTF stock is red hot at the moment. All the time the demand is there this set is going to continue rising.

The lowest price on Amazon right now is 113 plus 5.50 shipping. 

2 months ago, I thought that would be where it would top out NEXT YEAR!  Because I had set my sell price to 115.  Now, i'm pricing it higher, because I don't want to sell yet.  Good times on a bland set.

15 minutes ago, CNH1974 said:

Probably something to do with the fact BTTF day has just passed. :)

And the cubs did not win the world series. Some fiction is just too unrealistic after all.

1 hour ago, fossilrock said:

"Why" should be pretty obvious. The amount of media attention for BTTF day was amazing (though not unexpected by some). It generated tons of nostalgia for folks who had no idea there was a BTTF set or what they might have cost originally.

However I agree the set is not elegant nor eye-catching, which is why i sold my entire stock at that $100 price point. My fear is that October 21st is more of a high water mark, and if Lego sees they can sell a set for $28-35 and people pay $100, they'll be encouraged to do a UCS delorean for 99 or 199. I know i'd much rather have that, and dont want to be stuck with a stack of these if they do a UCS.

That and $100 on $28 is FINE by me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

"Why" should be pretty obvious. The amount of media attention for BTTF day was amazing (though not unexpected by some). It generated tons of nostalgia for folks who had no idea there was a BTTF set or what they might have cost originally.

However I agree the set is not elegant nor eye-catching, which is why i sold my entire stock at that $100 price point. My fear is that October 21st is more of a high water mark, and if Lego sees they can sell a set for $28-35 and people pay $100, they'll be encouraged to do a UCS delorean for 99 or 199. I know i'd much rather have that, and dont want to be stuck with a stack of these if they do a UCS.

That and $100 on $28 is FINE by me.

This set has been rising 10.00 a month it seems for the last six months.  Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think it was around January when it got the retirement label. So, pretty good growth for just 11 months into retirement.  It's now a 3x set...and the potential for a 4xer is very much a probability.  While the back to the future day surely did give it a boost, that was almost two weeks ago.  As of this moment, 119.69 shipped is what it costs the end user so in just a week it's now risen over 30.00.   This is definitely something to watch over the next few weeks.  I think the growth will continue for a few more months at least past Christmas.  I'm only sitting on 4, but, I might blow out 3 and flip them into something else during this time period.  But, i'll kick myself if this goes into the 200's next year.

I highly doubt we see any BTTF set next year.   So, I think it's safe for a year or two. 

Edited by fossilrock

5 hours ago, fossilrock said:

This set has been rising 10.00 a month it seems for the last six months.  Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think it was around January when it got the retirement label. So, pretty good growth for just 11 months into retirement.  It's now a 3x set...and the potential for a 4xer is very much a probability.  While the back to the future day surely did give it a boost, that was almost two weeks ago.  As of this moment, 119.69 shipped is what it costs the end user so in just a week it's now risen over 30.00.   This is definitely something to watch over the next few weeks.  I think the growth will continue for a few more months at least past Christmas.  I'm only sitting on 4, but, I might blow out 3 and flip them into something else during this time period.  But, i'll kick myself if this goes into the 200's next year.

I highly doubt we see any BTTF set next year.   So, I think it's safe for a year or two. 

My thought about another BTTF set is based on the fact that we all thought the $35 set was lacking, and were disappointed they didn't go 'bigger'. But i'm also comparing it to them releasing the Ghostbusters HQ after the Ecto-1. It's like they put their foot in the water with the Ecto, and saw how popular it was, thus giving them the ability to believe in the marketability of the bigger HQ.

It SEEMS like the Delorean didn't sell as well as the Ecto based on how long it was on significant discount, but the after-market surge might make them realize that a $99 version to the scale of the ferrari, or a $199 version to the scale of the tumbler would be an easy seller.

I know part of their ability to sell the GBHQ is the fact that a new movie is coming out, but it also seems like the HQ is completely based on the classic movie, not the reboot.

I'm not saying its likely, just that it's WAY more possible now than before i saw that HQ set.

13 hours ago, mudcatsfan said:

My thought about another BTTF set is based on the fact that we all thought the $35 set was lacking, and were disappointed they didn't go 'bigger'. But i'm also comparing it to them releasing the Ghostbusters HQ after the Ecto-1. It's like they put their foot in the water with the Ecto, and saw how popular it was, thus giving them the ability to believe in the marketability of the bigger HQ.

It SEEMS like the Delorean didn't sell as well as the Ecto based on how long it was on significant discount, but the after-market surge might make them realize that a $99 version to the scale of the ferrari, or a $199 version to the scale of the tumbler would be an easy seller.

I know part of their ability to sell the GBHQ is the fact that a new movie is coming out, but it also seems like the HQ is completely based on the classic movie, not the reboot.

I'm not saying its likely, just that it's WAY more possible now than before i saw that HQ set.

Maybe they retired Town Hall early because we're going to get the Clock Tower from BTTF.

bttf_lightning_2.jpg

I jest of course... I can't see them doing more BTTF sets with all they've got cooking with all the other themes. They already can't meet demand.

5 hours ago, gregpj said:

Maybe they retired Town Hall early because we're going to get the Clock Tower from BTTF.

I jest of course... I can't see them doing more BTTF sets with all they've got cooking with all the other themes. They already can't meet demand.

Awesome idea (even in jest), but that would only enhance the delorean value. I'm talking about a UCS or even remote controlled Delorean (like the one that actually GOT 10,000 supporters). What if they re-considered it? Or if they just built their own, like they've done with the GBHQ?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/8889

The larger scale allows the design to be MUCH more elegant, and the RC feature is actually quite appropriate when you remember that Doc Brown actually piloted the Delorean by RC for the test run with Einstein. 

• Like 1

You know, when this hit £100 in the UK, I thought yeah I'll sell a couple at that price. For on reason or another I never did, and now 3 weeks later a fellow BP'er has sold one for £120. I think for you guys in the US there time to wait for this one, if its hitting £120 over here, its not unreasonable to think it could be hitting $160 in the near future. 

I take it retired later over there?