75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

I'm going to go out on a limb and give this set about a 2 year shelf life before it disappears.  With R5 on the way out, and a Tie Fighter coming up, and the impending movie, I really think there will limited space for the new UCS.  Especially with the rumored hoth echo base (or quite possibly AT-AT,) and then the summer UCS.

I'm going to go out on a limb and give this set about a 2 year shelf life before it disappears. With R5 on the way out, and a Tie Fighter coming up, and the impending movie, I really think there will limited space for the new UCS. Especially with the rumored hoth echo base (or quite possibly AT-AT,) and then the summer UCS.

I wonder what are the odds the X-Wing is available longer than the Sandcrawler.... Logic / common sense would state Lego would 100% want stores to place the Tie directly next to X-Wing on shelves when the new film opens. However, logic has been thrown out the door lately (e.g. no 10228 Haunted Houses available for Halloween, not retiring Tower Bridge and retiring 10224 Town Hall before Pet Shop) so who knows. However, I think 75059 could be the most recent exception by retiring before the X-Wing. Then again, maybe Lego feels the Sandcralwer has more kid appeal (could sell more units) since it's a vehicle / playset combo set.

Logic would say that the X-wing should stay on the shelves to compliment the Tie Fighter, but I don't think Lego is going to do that.  With the way their history has been, they've maintained at least 2 $400 sets at any given point in the star wars universe, and now that the SSD is gone, all that's left is the Live Star.

And with the retirement of R2, and I honestly believe R5, that leaves the Slave 1, Sandcrawler, and soon to be Tie Fighter taking up shelf space.  I think in this situation it was just odd timing schedule that is leading to this whole thing.

And I agree that those other sets retiring are outliers in the equation, but we really haven't had a haunted house before, and it was already out for a couple of years before it finally got the axe.  I've said before, I think with regards to the TB, it won't retire until Lego announces another large architecture type of set.

I just honestly don't expect the sandcrawler to retire in less than a year.  Even the really bad selling B-wing made it 2 years.  The one big set I think that will continue for a bit will be the EV.  I think because of your thoughts on a playset, this is the one that will hang around for at least another year.  Plus it's cheaper than the sandcrawler.

Of course this is all my opinion, and as Lego has done before can do what they want.  They play by their own rules, as perplexing as some of them may be.

TLG knows what they are doing (usually). They wouldn't release a $300 set with all the development costs, etc., etc. unless they planned to make money on it. They can take risks with smaller stuff, but this is big, slow moving, and probably with a better margin than smaller stuff. They KNOW it's going to sell slowly. They've already released one Sandcrawler, so they must have felt like the return would be there eventually and it was worth the production cost.

What $200+ exclusives have been retired after less than a year, especially in the SW universe?

Aesthetically speaking it looks much nicer than the older model. But at the same time I can't help but feel the older model had a bit more to it. Oh well I suppose. I'll likely just wait it out and see if I can't hit it on a slight price drop like I usually do with everything else.

• 1 month later...

If you want it, $270 is a good price in my book... especially sales tax free.  If it were at Walmart at 10% off, people would be snapping them up.  But I would be most concerned about it being a "craigslist deal".  ... just my opinion.

If you are buying this on a high interest card and not paying it off, then sure don't invest in it.  But, if you are paying in cash, or buying on a card and paying that off in two months or so, I dont see how it's a bad investment even if doesn't retire until next year.  Now that the Red 5 looks like it's heading to retirement, this would be next in line, IMO to retire. I guess it really depends on how many you want for investment.  If your target is one or two, then you probably should wait.  If your target is more than that, it's not a better than now to start buying a few that way you aren't caught at the end trying to fight the others for the remaining stock.  Trying to get red 5s at 199.99 was a challenge the last few months.

Right now, the only UCS sets on the market would be this, the slave 1, and tie-fighter.  Do the math on what you think will be next to retire... and i'd wager the next UCS set will be out in January, and more than likely based on the new movie.

If Lego doesn't release any other sets with jawas, then a few years post-retirement this set has $150 or so in jawas alone (based on experience with 10144).  It is a higher price point then the old one, but I think $500 is very reasonable within a year, and I tend to be surprised by the upside on a lot of these sets.

If Lego doesn't release any other sets with jawas, then a few years post-retirement this set has $150 or so in jawas alone (based on experience with 10144).

​From what I see the only other set to include a jawa (this one) will be this year's advent calendar for Star Wars but that will just be one while the UCS Sandcrawler has four (two each of two different variants). Considering those advent calendars usually retail around $30, I don't see that single set with its one jawa having much of an impact towards the ultimate build most would rather have in the first place.

• 6 months later...
On May 9, 2015 at 3:14:28 PM, GhostDad said:

If Lego doesn't release any other sets with jawas, then a few years post-retirement this set has $150 or so in jawas alone (based on experience with 10144).  It is a higher price point then the old one, but I think $500 is very reasonable within a year, and I tend to be surprised by the upside on a lot of these sets.

Oh well, I will be buying this one to help populate my SC

image.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

I´d say from now on, whenever you can get it for 20% off or more, adelante.

How I wish! I haven't seen it discounted anywhere. Actually, according to Brickwatch.net the only place where one can buy it in The Netherlands right now is the official Lego LEGO Shop at Home. For €330... :coldb:

Cheapest ever it was sold (according to Brickwatch) was for €280, which is a 15% discount. But that was before I came out of my dark ages.

Offers for this UCS Sandcrawler on eBay have also gone well above Lego MSRP and I see quite a LOT of parting-out offers as well. It's like the UCS Sandcrawler is already retired!

Oh, and I find this also telling:

565c01e9ba80b_UCSSandcrawlerwantthisset.

(own vs want on Brickset)

The number of people who WANT this set is significantly higher than the number of people who OWN this set. That is a really good indication of the growth potential of this set!

Edited by Haay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Haay said:

565c01e9ba80b_UCSSandcrawlerwantthisset.

(own vs want on Brickset)

The number of people who WANT this set is significantly higher than the number of people who OWN this set. That is a really good indication of the growth potential of this set!

I'm not totally convinced that the number of people clicking a want button correlates as a really good indication for those serious about paying above RRP for a set in years to come. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

This set is only to be found at Lego Store or SaH. I am happy I bought three last spring at 15% off. The best price I have seen it at. 

I would suggest that if you want one, order it rather sooner than later. But only one copy. Capite! 

Today I can still buy it with 5% discount, with a free Gingerbread House promo set. If I can sell the GBH for €20, it equates to a nett discount of 11%. Might very well be the best price I can still get it for!

And @Crustybeaver, I know what you mean. It's not scientific reliable data, and I don't take it as such. More like an indication where I compare the own vs want balance between sets. It's an indication of desirability, nothing more.

18 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I´d honestly pass at that price. GBH should be bought as cheaply as possible - ideally for no more than 65 euros.

Who's talking about buying GBH for no more than 65 Euro???

I see the free GBH promo I'd get together with the Sandcrawler as a bonus discount where I just don't know yet for how much I can sell it to get my purchase price of the Sandcrawler down. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I meant buy a min. of 65 euros to get the GBH free! Sandcrawle buy-in really has to be sub 260 euros to be worthwhile.

Not everybody has the luxuary to find a pile of Sandcrawlers at 20% off in the spanish mountains. 

As mentioned above. Here, it is only obtainable from Lego Store or SaH.

• Like 3