75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

Can anyone tell me how the availability of this set is in your region? I mean in physical shops as well as online?

I never saw it in any store. Maybe because it's too big and expensive (like the SSD).

Otherwise it can still be found in some online stores (toys'r us, FNAC, avenue des jeux) at RRP or just a little less (299

Edited by biniou

• 2 weeks later...

Have seen it in different LEGO stores in Germany.

Once even on display, but always on the shelves.

Can you tell me what stores those were? Unlike other countries, the only stores I've seen it in Germany were (LEGO) B&Ms. When I'm in Germany, I tend to check the usual suspects like Galeria Kaufhof, Karstadt, M

Yeah "LEGO stores" ;-)

There's a built one in the Hamburg store. I didn't even notice it but for some odd reason, it got the attention of my GF. She would actually like to build it. Second time that ever happened, after PR. She doesn't even like SW that much. I guess it's a woman thing...

But regardless, so there isn't much hope for getting it below MSRP in Germany then? Was even thinking about getting one from overseas, but I usually max out my duty free amount with more lucrative exports.

There's a built one in the Hamburg store. I didn't even notice it but for some odd reason, it got the attention of my GF. She would actually like to build it. Second time that ever happened, after PR. She doesn't even like SW that much. I guess it's a woman thing...

But regardless, so there isn't much hope for getting it below MSRP in Germany then? Was even thinking about getting one from overseas, but I usually max out my duty free amount with more lucrative exports.

Wow... for PR I get it, it really is beautiful and if your GF would have been into EV I'd also absolutely understand it... but the sandcrawler? ^^ Need explanation here!

• Like 1

Wow... for PR I get it, it really is beautiful and if your GF would have been into EV I'd also absolutely understand it... but the sandcrawler? ^^ Need explanation here!

<drunk> So you said my girlfriend got bad taste!? *breaks beer bottle on the counter as if it were the most normal thing to do*</drunk>

If she wouldn't be into big fat ugly things, where would that leave me?

• Like 2

i know what you are getting at (harmless fun) but please try to keep things lego-related.

<drunk> So you said my girlfriend got bad taste!? *breaks beer bottle on the counter as if it were the most normal thing to do*</drunk>

i know what you are getting at (harmless fun) but please try to keep things lego-related.

Fair enough, can't say I don't see your point. Wasn't trying to drive at anything with it anyway.

But to answer the original question it in a more serious manner, I do think the Sandcrawler (too bad I can't call it SC) has some appeal. It must be among the biggest vehicles in Lego history. I guess she likes how they made it look rusty in a simple bricky way. And I do think that it looks kinda ugly, but you could call it the good kind of ugly. You wouldn't want a Jabba the Hutt that looks like a Ken doll either.

I'm a bit surprised it comes with an UCS label though. It feels like they put more focus on playability than trying to replicate the original as good as possible. Not calling it a bad thing, just doesn't seem very UCS-y. Proportions are off, that hatch on the side is too big, it is Minifig scale yet at the same time it isn't.

One thing I don't like much about it though are the bridge windows, feels like they just went with the first best solution:

Sandcrawler.png

vs

75059_box3_na.jpg

• Like 1

I guess minor but only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have the UCS card like most of those sets have.

Customizers probably exist that would make you a dandy one.

found a decent one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-STAR-WARS-75059-SANDCRAWLER-CUSTOM-UCS-STICKER-PLAQUE-/131390783371

Nicer one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-STAR-WARS-UCS-REPLACEMENT-STICKERS-for-10144-SANDCRAWLER-CUSTOM-PLAQUE-/141457773027?pt=AU_Action_Figures&hash=item20ef8a51e3

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 3

I guess minor but only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have the UCS card like most of those sets have.

It is odd that it's stamped on the box UCS but no plaque, and other sets aren't advertised on the box as an UCS but have the plaque. I guess we can deduce that UCS sets are not required to have the plaque.

agreed.  this set deserved a UCS decal plaque due to the build.  it's a more mature build (lots of technic) especially when compared to the previous one (10144) and more importantly, other UCS labeled sets.

I think the price makes it interesting for investors, since it's the most expensive SW UCS right now. (Yeah ... that's no moon... doesn't count ;-P ).

Edited by jaisonline
Remove messy comment

Hmmm the build IS nice, this set seems SO underrated. Look at how the previous version did on ebay EOL: if I see this set it is off-scale and is a play-set more than anything, agreed, but it is so much nicer and better in proportion than the old one. Seems a no-brainer to stock up if you can, but it is a big investment...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

Since some people have been discussing this set's possible retirement date I added a poll about it becoming permanently sold-out. Feel free to vote.

Remember that Lego is now sell with web site retirement tags so remember to not vote on when this set retires but when it's finally sold-out at retail price,

Example: if this vote was about the 10224 Town Hall or 10228 Haunted House, the correct poll answer would have ended up being "during 2014".

Edited by jaisonline
Fixed

Hey Folks,

Since we have been discussing this set's retirement now for over 1 year, I added a poll about it becoming permanently sold-out. Feel free to vote.

Remember that Lego is now sell with web site retirement tags so remember to not vote on when this set retires but when it's finally sold-out at retail price,

Example: if this vote was about the 10224 Town Hall or 10228 Haunted House, the correct poll answer would have ended up being "during 2014".

I'm sorry but your 1st sentence is bizarre to me. This has been out for less than a year. So, how have we been discussing it's retirement for more than a year?

:scratching head:

I'm sorry but your 1st sentence is bizarre to me. This has been out for less than a year. So, how have we been discussing it's retirement for more than a year?

:scratching head:

He used copy/paste for his post for three topics (sandcrawler, pet shop, xwing ucs). :)
  • Like 2