75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

• 3 months later...

Folks,

I recently had an opportunity to pick up a large lot of MINT UCS Sandcrawlers 75059.  When I say "a lot," I mean more than 2 and less than 100...

But  seriously, as with all of my Lego investments, I buy to hold and sell later and I am one to try to flip kits quick.  I was wondering if anyone had any info on when they think this set might sell out or their opinion on if this will be a good profit maker down the road?

From an investment standpoint, and going by history, the last Sandcrawler was a strong seller after it sold out.  Further, this set has a very high mini-figure count, which historically leads to a higher likelihood of a stronger price post sell out on TLG.  It seems to have a high level of "playability" while at the same time being a very impressive "model" with the four sets of tracks and just the awesome overall cool look.

Lastly, I've never parted out a kit, but since I have a lot of these, I was considering doing so to a few post sell out as a test.  Where are my expert "parters" and what is your thoughts on this please?

I've got a lot of cash riding (or crawling) on these Crawlers, so any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Rob

I think it will do ok. Better than the B-Wing but not as good as the SSD. You probably have 18 months before eol. 

I'm not sure the last sandcrawler is a good comparison. So many more investors and resellers, the old rules don't apply anymore. If it was me and I could make $50 a set I would flip now. I try not to tie up money in sets that (I think) have more than a year until eol. Many would disagree tho. Sounds like a good score either way, congrats!

I'm no expert but if you were getting a good discount off retail, I would go for it.  It isn't likely to retire any time soon since it has been out for less than a year, so you will have to hold them for a while and the boxes are large.  I think the earliest this could retire is late 2016 but 2017 is more likely unless Lego is serious about shorter runs on large sets now.  The Ewok Village should theoretically go a year ahead.  These things are getting less and less predictable.

I think the set is appealing for all the reasons you mention.  Any large Star Wars set with minifigures is a good bet and I think people really enjoy stuff from Tatooine... not to mention the jawas.  The design is well done and feedback on the set has been generally very positive.

Thanks.  I already made the investment, so I'm sitting on the kits.  I store them at my residence and at an off site location that does not cost me any money.  But I agree that it does tie up a lot of cash.  Personally, and this is just me, I don't like to sell any kit until I can clear (after Ebay / Paypal fees etc) at least a 50% profit.  So that means for these kits, which I got just under the retail of $300, I would need to sell them for at least $500 each.  And I prefer to sell them for double what I paid, or about $600.  

I did this same thing a number of years ago when I was able to get 50 of the UCS Death Star 10143 for less than the $300 retail.  I sold all of them for between $600 and $1300 during the roughly 1.5 years after they sold out on TLG.  In hindsight I wish I had held say 10 or so and sold them now for what they are going for!  Although I love selling kits of all sizes, I much prefer to find a big kit (high dollar value) like this, buy a lot (25-100) and then hold them and sell them for a high profit.  I realize it ties up a lot of money, but if I can sell them in say 2-3 years after I bought them for double what I paid, then that is still very much a "win" for me.

I did the same with the UCS Falcon when I grabbed 20 at $375 each with free shipping and then sold them for ridiculous amounts of money.  But then again I wish I had held a few longer, but isn't that always the case?

Anyone out there that "parts" kits?  I am really curious if there are any veteran parters that could offer their 2 cents on this kit?

-Rob

Part out value is $620.

Unless you are already setup for parting out (bins, storage, organizational system, BL store) it'd be nuts to go that route with 3k pieces per.

I like your line of thought as far as diversifying sales by parting out a fraction of your inventory.

Just a mtn of work without much reward to do so in this particular instance.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I wanted to ask anyones's opinion on this set.  I decided to jump since I can return the item, but I have never ordered a warehouse deal.

The item was listed as:

Condition: Used - Very Good - Item has no cosmetic scratches or blemishes. Item has no cracks or dents. Item will come in original packaging. Packaging will be damaged. All accessories are present and undamaged.

Does anyone else have a good/bad experience so I know if this should have all pieces/parts included without damage? I just want to know if I got a decent deal as it marked down about $50 bucks off retail and I want one for my collection.

Thanks for any help!

Warehouse deals are legit. Most of the time from my experiences and what I've heard here is that the box will be damaged but the bags will be sealed. If you aren't satisfied once you receive it just send it back. My personal preference would be just be to spend the extra 50 bucks and buy a sealed one but that is just my preference.

Thanks for the info.  I would love a nice box but just couldn't pass up the $50 deal on the item.  Just have to hope the box is not damaged very much since I really just want the item for display purposes.  However down the road, I'm sure it would be nice to think about selling it if I wanted and a nice box would add something to it.

Could someone please tell me the exact contents of a MISB Sandcrawler? I got one with popped seals from Amazon and would like to verify contents.

Thank you

there are resources online for this but...if all instruction books are there...they have all the info you need. That's how I verify.

• 2 weeks later...