75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

This is something we've seen many times now with all the remakes of sets LEGO likes to do, what ends up happening is simply that LEGO likes to charge more to charge more, but I don't mind paying a bit extra as long as quality is there, but LEGO has had a few slip ups in the past... Just to name a few, later 9Volt train motors, see-through 'solid' colored bricks, printing wearing off certain head molds; Mr. Krabs, a SW character; ect.

LEGO also seems to like to add unnecessay plate levels, Palpatine's Arrest, Rancor Pit(Some may argue that it was needed for the opening door, but I disagree as it could have been done without the clip, so only 'needed' for an function not too crutial in the grand scheme of the set, but I digress) ect.

Now, what were you guys honestly expecting from a UCS Sandcrawler? LEGO has a limit to what they can produce and still make a profit, if you're telling me you would have rather had a larger Crawler that would be impratical with this design to get the price down, as most parts are used for the actual crawler, not interior parts. The only way I see that the people unhappy with it to make them happy would have been to make it anothrt 500 dollar UCS set so it could have fit in to TLG's budget and profit making, but even so it is a unpopular vechicle, not a bad one, but just one that probably won't be around for long and they did do the right decision where they can produce this, make money, and satisfy the larger group of people out there.

See, here's the thing, most people who like LEGO like to be able to do something with it other than just display, not saying it's the best way, but I'll say it's my default reason for buying LEGO. The Death Star II was discontinued after only 2 years, why? Reports say that this is because it was a poor seller, but these could be false, but who knows. What I do know is that whenever I invite people over to my house they instantly gravitate more towards the play sets instead of the 'adult' models.

Now with regards to the updated the Sail Barge, and other sets like it, I feel that overall the set is better than the original, if you're looking at detail. If size, the original wins out being 2 studs wider and I believe 4-6 longer, which the new one could have been and still looked just as fine. There are issues with it, but I prefer the new one because it is more accurate to the movie.

All and all, I think UCS SW sets should be regarded into two categories, minifigure scale, and 'life size' scale.

Now my final thoughts on the big old beast

1) The plate design is approved by me, allows more detail to be captured

2) Wish it was easy to add PF, fail by the designers

3) The marketing as an adult set was just bad, while I don't mind it being labeled as UCS, have two categories

4) Love the interior and figures

5) All pieces should have been PRINTS, NO STICKERS on UCS sets!

And finally...

6) My favorite thing about the set and my overall opinion on it is that it is one heck of a beast and I love the treads on the thing.

• Like 1

Saw an assembled sandcrawler at the LEGO store yesterday. Liked it very much but I never seen the original built up in person so I won't compare the two. The box art/design is the best I've ever seen! Really stands out on the shelf and would look great on display in any collection.

We bought this when the store opened May 3rd, and now still building it with my 6 yr-old son.  We're loving it.  As a dad, I felt a little nuts to be spending $300 + tax on a non-birthday, non-Xmas toy.  But I had to admit it was probably as much for me as it was for him.  It's making for some great father/son time.  Also, I figured once he grows out of it, we can probaly sell it used for $200, right?  (I'm saving the box, all packaging, etc).

About half way through, the Technics build in the front end that makes a chain hoist and much of the front structure gets a little tedious, but other than that it has been great.  I have to agree with Stevenplays.  It's a good price for a "play set", and will likely sell far more than an accurate scale "adult" model.  I've never seen the prior version in person, but based on photos, the playability of the new one looks far better.  My kid won't quit playing with it, and we're only halfway through the build.

Is anyone else building this now?  You know that little gear sticking out of the top that operates the "draw bridge" front plate / ramp?  Mine is a little "tight" to operate.  Should I grease it... or just try to loosen up the build?

• Like 2

We bought this when the store opened May 3rd, and now still building it with my 6 yr-old son.  We're loving it.  As a dad, I felt a little nuts to be spending $300 + tax on a non-birthday, non-Xmas toy.  But I had to admit it was probably as much for me as it was for him.  It's making for some great father/son time.  Also, I figured once he grows out of it, we can probaly sell it used for $200, right?  (I'm saving the box, all packaging, etc).

About half way through, the Technics build in the front end that makes a chain hoist and much of the front structure gets a little tedious, but other than that it has been great.  I have to agree with Stevenplays.  It's a good price for a "play set", and will likely sell far more than an accurate scale "adult" model.  I've never seen the prior version in person, but based on photos, the playability of the new one looks far better.  My kid won't quit playing with it, and we're only halfway through the build.

Is anyone else building this now?  You know that little gear sticking out of the top that operates the "draw bridge" front plate / ramp?  Mine is a little "tight" to operate.  Should I grease it... or just try to loosen up the build?

Not sure if you sell on eBay or would part with the minifigs since you have a kid who will be playing with it but I have sold 4 of the figs for $110 so far the rest will go to auction Sunday night and should easily clear $200 making this beast only cost $100.

I am only on bag 7 the technic frame, and may not get to work on it untill next weekend so not sure about your build question but shoot Jay a PM he is done

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/9779-building-the-75059-sandcrawler/?p=269146

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You can definitely see a steady decline in the market for the older Sandcrawler 10144, especially the ones that are used/complete w/ box.

That's good for all the people who need every set no matter what. They can buy it cheaper now. I might buy one eventually if my funds allow me to.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

yea it's a little tight, even after a lot of play.  we put apart on backwards at first and it was impossible. 

You can definitely see a steady decline in the market for the older Sandcrawler 10144, especially the ones that are used/complete w/ box.

True and predictable after seeing 75059 in-person. I still like my 10144 and kept it in my son's bedroom along with the new one. Luckily, I sold my extra loose w/o box one last Feb for a small profit.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/7546-anyone-else-getting-ready-to-unload-10144-sandcrawlers/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I started Bricklinking some reddish brown tiles of various sizes to have ready when I put together the shell of my Sandcrawler.  Has anyone posted any finished MOCs or pics of someone who's added smooth tiles to 75059?

I thought someone on here was going to work on it, but I don't think I ever saw pictures posted?

I hope all SW fans who can pay double price for such a big baby like this are not all investors.  :cheese:

all depends when it retires.  something tells me this will be around for a long time.  prob until esp 8 comes around :(

however, maybe we will get lucky and it stays around only for 2-3 years which i seriously doubt...

I started Bricklinking some reddish brown tiles of various sizes to have ready when I put together the shell of my Sandcrawler.  Has anyone posted any finished MOCs or pics of someone who's added smooth tiles to 75059?

I thought someone on here was going to work on it, but I don't think I ever saw pictures posted?

I posted some pics .  I did the main top piece and one of the sides just to get an idea of what it looks like.  I got some good feedback from Jaisonline and ordered $40 in parts from 2 sellers on bricklink to finish the job.  I replaced one of the side hatches and all exterior cream pieces for dark brow, but because this required a total breakdown of the side center panel and part of the technic frame I figured I would wait to proceed until a rainy day.  It has not rained one weekend here all summer so I haven't touched it since.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/10148-sandcrawler-75059-moc/

• Like 1

I posted some pics .  I did the main top piece and one of the sides just to get an idea of what it looks like.  I got some good feedback from Jaisonline and ordered $40 in parts from 2 sellers on bricklink to finish the job.  I replaced one of the side hatches and all exterior cream pieces for dark brow, but because this required a total breakdown of the side center panel and part of the technic frame I figured I would wait to proceed until a rainy day.  It has not rained one weekend here all summer so I haven't touched it since.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/10148-sandcrawler-75059-moc/

Thanks, I knew someone was doing it.  I think $40 is about what I'll have in parts too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Weird...ordered one of these from Walmart.com on 9/4 (had to burn a GC)...site said "In Stock" (as it still does today).  Well I got an email this morning saying:

Thank you for your recent Walmart.com order. Unfortunately, one or more of the items in your order have been delayed.

=======================================================================
DELAYED ITEMS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Order Number:   xxxxxxx-xxx463

ITEM                                               QTY   PRICE    TOTAL
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1) LEGO Star Wars Sandcrawler Play Set             1    299.95   299.95

So...I'm wondering why the site is still "In Stock"...ah well, just an FYI, I guess

• 2 weeks later...