75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

2 minutes ago, Rodeogeorge said:

Speaking of traps - I recall picking up a big set in store and the girl at the register fumbles and dropped the box, barely dinging up a corner.  Not enough for me to care.  Her eyes lit up and looked at me-"Oops sorry.  Are you going to resell this?"

Wow that's vicious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcdfan said:

And nobody thinks that their VIP accounts are reviewed after these calls... Interesting...

I'd hope my VIP account isn't getting looked at for buying damaged box sets from the store, when they readily offer them for sale with the bonus points.

They literally have a bin full of marked down damaged regular sets on the floor and a clipboard at the register with a list of damaged exclusives and the corresponding bonus points.

Maybe its looked at different if you call in and complain about the condition your shipment arrived in and ask for a discount though.

11 hours ago, Phil B said:

Caring about the state of a new LEGO box is also typical behavior for someone who buys to gift. So not enough reason to conclude "reseller".

Thank you! When you give a gift to someone you typically don't want it to look like you ran it over with a dump truck first. Some people don't get that.

On 13/03/2016 at 9:42 AM, The Lurker said:

After being OOS for delivery at the UK toysrus for what seems like acouple of months SC is now available for delivery. This is the only other retailer (apart from shop at home) in the UK thats stocks SC.

Not many though.  There was 9 when i looked now down to 8. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Not many though.  There was 9 when i looked now down to 8. 

I didn't notice that, thank's for the info. I just had a look and it's only available in 2 stores for click and collect, maybe it's gonna be a shop at home exclusive. I expect this to still be around for the May 4th promo but only time will tell.

Thank you! When you give a gift to someone you typically don't want it to look like you ran it over with a dump truck first. Some people don't get that.

Exactly!!! Although when visiting my local supermarket I always tend to avoid the dented baked beans tins and smashed up Cereal boxes regardless of discount!! #Forceofhabit

On 15.3.2016 at 8:36 PM, exciter1 said:

What normal LEGO enthusiast cares about box condition?  That's a gotcha right there.  Damaging boxes before shipment is a trap. ;)

I do, to a minor degree. I'm no box collector by any means, but from my experience, a crashed box often also means scratched bricks or folder sticker sheets.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any more information as to when this set will retire? I will check in my local store tomorrow (Brighton UK). I have two of these. On eBay they seem to already be going for more than the £250 RRP. I bought one for £250 and the other for £225 (using my double VIP points from the first one). Also, the valuation on the Brickpicker Brickfolio lists them as very low at the moment. Perhaps my account is basing the values on US prices??? What do you guys think these will go for on eBay in a year or two?

2 hours ago, 252grams said:

Is there any more information as to when this set will retire? I will check in my local store tomorrow (Brighton UK). I have two of these. On eBay they seem to already be going for more than the £250 RRP. I bought one for £250 and the other for £225 (using my double VIP points from the first one). Also, the valuation on the Brickpicker Brickfolio lists them as very low at the moment. Perhaps my account is basing the values on US prices??? What do you guys think these will go for on eBay in a year or two?

This site has become inundated with 'How much do you think set X will make for me?' or 'I do my own research, but just for fun, what set is likely to be a good investment?' questions from low post members. 

I'm new to this site myself, but if someone spends a little time to browse the forums, it's glaringly obvious that no-one really can predict how any set is going to perform post-EOL - especially with the glut of new investors - any more than when a set will retire. 

TLG semingly taking delight in thwarting resellers with unpredictable long runs for some sets or re-releasing other retired sets to stymie the prices for the retired sets.

This post isn't an attack on you, just I see this question all the time here. And yes, I know it's fun to speculate, dream of Sandcrawlers becoming the next 10179, and no harm in asking as that's what a forum is for, but I see a growing resentment by many older members here in reaction to seemingly lazy help-me-make-money-without-researching-the-info-already-speculated-upon-many-times constant questions.

To answer your question with my own guess, I would say maybe the SC could retire later this year as Smyths aren't stocking it anymore, and they still still stock EV. This is if it follows the usual availability cycle of 2 years since it was re-released in 2014. Who knows? It could become the next Death Star and keep going for another 6 years.

The only way anyone knows if it's going to retire is when LEGO Shop at Home stick the 'retiring soon' label on it.

Edited by Anomander
Extra
  • Like 9

It's fun to speculate.  At this time, the Sandcrawler is the biggest UCS currently on the market.  I also think it's probably a slow seller due to it's cost and it's a niche vehicle in the Star Wars universe.  Not overly hoarded (important).  I also think it's a low production set.  So if it were to retire it would probably disappear from shelves quickly.  I predict a quick jump to $500.  Then a small decline and then gradual rise to $700-1000 over the course of a couple of years.

3 hours ago, 252grams said:

I have a contact with inside knowledge of the retirement schedule. I asked them about the Sand Crawler and this was the response they gave me...

image.gif

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Anomander said:

This site has become inundated with 'How much do you think set X will make for me?' or 'I do my own research, but just for fun, what set is likely to be a good investment?' questions from low post members. 

I'm new to this site myself, but if someone spends a little time to browse the forums, it's glaringly obvious that no-one really can predict how any set is going to perform post-EOL - especially with the glut of new investors - any more than when a set will retire. 

TLG semingly taking delight in thwarting resellers with unpredictable long runs for some sets or re-releasing other retired sets to stymie the prices for the retired sets.

This post isn't an attack on you, just I see this question all the time here. And yes, I know it's fun to speculate, dream of Sandcrawlers becoming the next 10179, and no harm in asking as that's what a forum is for, but I see a growing resentment by many older members here in reaction to seemingly lazy help-me-make-money-without-researching-the-info-already-speculated-upon-many-times constant questions.

To answer your question with my own guess, I would say maybe the SC could retire later this year as Smyths aren't stocking it anymore, and they still still stock EV. This is if it follows the usual availability cycle of 2 years since it was re-released in 2014. Who knows? It could become the next Death Star and keep going for another 6 years.

The only way anyone knows if it's going to retire is when LEGO Shop at Home stick the 'retiring soon' label on it.

Sound advice. I frequent a number of forums and am well aware of the issue of coming across as an annoying noob. I've spent a lot of time researching and browsing, but I just feel that the EV is imminent and that the SC is next. I keep seeing it go out of stock online (amazon etc) and am thinking that it's maybe only got a few weeks left! I was wondering also if anyone else had seen it drop out of stock there. eBay sellers are already marking it up, well above what it's worth. Thanks for your advice.

Sound advice. I frequent a number of forums and am well aware of the issue of coming across as an annoying noob. I've spent a lot of time researching and browsing, but I just feel that the EV is imminent and that the SC is next. I keep seeing it go out of stock online (amazon etc) and am thinking that it's maybe only got a few weeks left! I was wondering also if anyone else had seen it drop out of stock there. eBay sellers are already marking it up, well above what it's worth. Thanks for your advice.

Both have gone out of stock many, many times. Unfortunately, when some members believe sets like SandCrawler are going away, they are one of the reasons it's unavailable on many sites...

6 minutes ago, 252grams said:

It's a tough one to call. EV was released in 2013, updated SC in 2014, yet EV still available in Smyths while SC II is not. Does that mean SC isn't as popular a seller as EV?

The SC was OOS in LEGO Shop at Home Europe last month, while I don't remember EV being (I could be mistaken on that - just going on memory).

I don't know how history correlates with Amazon stock as a bellwether for sets prior to being announced as retiring soon by LEGO Shop at Home.

I saw an original SC languish in a gumtree-style site here for the last year, unloved and unwanted as the newer set was considered superior. So there's no guarantee that once a flagship set becomes retired it's going to keep on keeping on. Risk is the spice of life, so they say.

EV went OOS at Lego SAH end of Jan for about 1-2 weeks. I'd say EV may have the edge on the SC regards popularity purely because I feel they are targeted at two different age groups within the Lego spectrum. The EV is a playset and will appeal to the plethora of young Lego fans, whereas the SC is a much more complex build and will probably be more popular with AFOL. Either way, both are beautiful sets and great builds.

Maybe the only reason they retired DS was the deal with Disney and the new cycle of movies.

That brings up other sets like TB and T1 which don't seem to need to retire ever... unless VW gets bought by Disney and they launch a new Camper LoL

ah yeah...

did I mention PS ?...

• Like 1